Uhf Soundtrack Review

Moderator: Moderators

Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

SuperOy @ Aug 5 2004, 07:42 PM wrote: Well, maybe I should pick it up anyway, just in case.
You should. I think it's a very underrated album, and it's really very good.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
drnick954
Off The Deep End

Post by drnick954 »

I think what got me was someone rated it little higher then PH.  Wow! But hey that's good.

Im not gonna deny that. Its his second best cd in my opinion. GREAT songs.
The Smashing Pumpkins are reuniting! WHOOOOHOOO!!!
SlightyUnusualAl
Die-hard Fan

Post by SlightyUnusualAl »

Its more of the movie's audio (soundtrack basically) kind of thing.
alberta1
Obsessed

Post by alberta1 »

this album is the tenth album of als that i own

I think out of all its my favourite - i love all the stuff on it!
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

Bumping this one up.......

IMO, this album is very underrated. It has some great songs, specifically some great originals.

1. Money For Nothing/Beverly Hilbillies - I really like both this one and the original. This one is clever (setting a theme song to another song is not an easy task), and its video is dead on. 8/10

2. Gandhi II - Yes, it is a sound bite. BUT, it's a funny one. 7/10

3. Attack Of The Radioactive Hamsters From A Planet Near Mars - Not bad, but I like Slime Creatures better. 7/10

4. Isle Thing - Lyrically, it's very good, but melodically it's kinda weak (probably the fault of the original songwriter). Also, the original song sampled a song I really like, which does not get brownie points from me. 4/10

5. The Hot Rocks Polka - Probably his best polka. 9/10

6. UHF - His greatest original ever. Need I say more? Actually, yes, the video is awesome too, with the band parodies and "You get to drink from THE FIREHOSE!" :lol: 11/10

7. Let Me Be Your Hog - Really short, and kinda weak. I would probably give it a higher score if it was longer, buuuuuuuuuut it ain't. 5/10

8. She Drives Like Crazy - Definitely the best parody on the album. Very well done (I am familiar with the original), and a vocal tour de force! 9/10

9. Generic Blues - A very good take on the blues. 8/10

10. Spatula City - Again, it's a sound clip, but it's funny. 7/10

11. Fun Zone - Doesn't have lyrics other than the 'yeah's, but it works really well as an instrumental. 9/10

12. Spam - I've never been a big fan of this one. It's a good food parody, but not that great. Monty Python's Spam song is much funnier. 7/10

13. The Biggest Ball Of Twine In Minnesota - Songs like this don't grow on trees! 10/10
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles
Off The Deep End

Post by TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles »

iisryan27 @ Jun 5 2004, 05:51 PM wrote: Woah ho ho ho! Stop the car! We've got an emergency, can't you see?

Why don't you like The Hot Rocks Polka?
You know, I FINALLY get that reference only months after I read it.

:P

Anyway... I already rated this album.
The Office: NBC, Thursdays at 9.
If you're not watching, you're doing yourself great injustice.
DrDecay
Addicted

Post by DrDecay »

1. Beverly Hillbillies- I totaly love this song because the video is completely cool 7/10

2. Gandhi II- Interesting 6/10

3. Attack of radioactive hamsters from a planet near mars- I think that this song rocked. just the thought of huge radio active hamsters from mars attacking us is major funny stuff! 8/10

4. Isle Thing- Not that great, but ok. 4.7/10

5. Hot Rocks Polka- I thought that this polka was alright. 7.1/10

6. UHF- I love this song. It rocks!!!! 10/10

7. Let me Be Your hog- just weird 8/10

8. She drives like crazy- The song is ok, however Al sounds like Kermit the frog. I am so sorry!!!! :( But the intro is cool!!! And the general lyrics are quite well. 7/10

9. Generic Blues- All of my brothers and sisters hated me too because I was an only child. I completley realte to him!! 10/10

10. Spatula City- I use a spatula to flip my pancakes!! 8/10

11. Fun Zone- I think that this is a good beat and a grat instumental. 10/10

12. Spam- I don' like spam, but the song is delish!!!! 9.43/10

13. The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota- funny. 6/10

Overall the Album itself was a great transition from 1988's "Even Worse" to 1992's "Off the deep End." It has its special place in Al's history.
twinkieweinersandwiches24_7
Off The Deep End

Post by twinkieweinersandwiches24_7 »

I didn't see a topic for the UHF soundtrack, so it is my duty as a concerned citizen to bring you this important message--I mean, topic. :F You can review the whole album, or just post your thoughts about it. As for me, I'm gonna do both because, well, I said so. :D

Money for Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies: 9/10 - Great parody of both the Beverly Hillbillies theme song and MFN. Al did a good job syncing the words, and some nice guitar from Mark Knopfler--[kissup]but we all know our Mr. West could have done it better.[/kissup] Like Al, I just think the name sounds kinda stupid, but you know those darn lawyers. <_< I would have liked one of Al's names for it, like "Money for the Beverly Hillbilies" or "Beverly Hills/Hillbillies for Nothing" or something like that.

Ghandi II: 6/10 - I like both "commercials" equally. Jay was perfect for Ghandi in both the movie and the voice for the track. But if you listen to the commercial by itself if you haven't seen the actual movie, it really doesn't make any sense--but then again, why would someone buy the soundtrack if they hadn't seen the movie? :lookaround:

Attack of the Radioactive Hamsters from a Planet Near Mars: 8/10 - Cute original. Just hearing him sing the title made me laugh out loud the first time I heard it because it's just so weird, like SNTMSWAM, but I'll get to that elsewhere. O-) I think my favorite lines are "I hope they get these lousy rodents out of my town, 'cause the property value's goin' way down, now!" and "They're gonna stomp us into jelly, and conquer the world, but you gotta admit they're really--kinda cute, now!" :lol:

Isle Thing: 7/10 - Pretty good TV parody. The instrumental sounds a lot like the original, they might have even used the same guitar sample from Wild Thing or Jamie's Cryin', the song WT takes its the guitar from. One of my favorite TV parodies.

the Hot Rocks Polka: 10/10 - Definitely one of my, if not the favorite polka of me. I've heard a lot of other people speak of it very highly, and I'm not sure what's so attractive of it; whether it's the Stones songs polka-fied, or just having all the songs by one artist/band for a change of pace. Anyway, a very good polka, with a very obvious accordion, which I always like.

UHF: 10/10 - Probably my favorite track on the album. I guess it's not really side-splitting, but it is very clever, and has a good beat. Definitely fits the mood of the movie, making it a very appropriate theme song, while a lot of movies out there have themes that don't reflect much of the movie at all.

Let Me Be Your Hog: 8/10 - Very good original. Al did those 16 seconds justice. My favorite parts ar ethe pig snorts, and then the abrupt ending like taking the needle off a record. I must admit I was fooled the first time I heard it, like there was something wrong with the CD, but I quickly caught on. :peace:

She Drives Like Crazy: 8/10 - Nice parody. No offense to any big FYC fans out there, but after listening to both the original and the parody, I think the instrumental was better done on Al's version. I also love his Kermit voice for the choruses (or is it chori? :unsure: :P).

General Blues: 8.5/10 - Right behind UHF for favorite original on the album. Al did a very good job capturing the angst-ridden blues songs, cranking it up a notch, and making his own "life story living hell" blues song. He's come a long way since Buckingham Blues, and as much as I love the accordion in BB (I'm not being sarcastic :rolleyes: ), you just can't replace the heavy guitar and harmonica. "OK, now make it shut up." :lol:

Spatula City: 6/10 - I do like how Al put the commercials from the movie on the album. I think this one would make a better radio commercial than Ghandi II, mainly because Ghandi II make a whole lot more sense with visuals. I've always kind of wished he would have put Plots-R-Us on as another commercial, but he also did just fine with these two.

Fun Zone: 7/10 - Not my favorite track, I usually tend to skip over it (don't hurt me), but it is a very fun instrumental. Um...that's all I have to say.

Spam: 6/10 - I couldn't listen to Spam for a pretty long time because it grossed me out a little, never being a huge Spam fan. I just couldn't "stand" it! (sorry, bad pun. X*) I eventually got over it, and it is now one of my favorite food parodies. Al paid extrememly close attention to the background vocals on the original, and copied them almost to a T here, and that must've been pretty hard! Good job, Al! :Y

The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota: Definitely one of Al's best epic originals IMHO. Has a really good rhyming scheme, like Frank's 2000" TV, and not just straight forward every-other-line-rhymes like a lot of other songs. If Al ever made a Greatest Hits III or a cheesy compilation of originals, this one should definitely be on it.

All in all, a very good album that gets overlooked by fans and non-fans alike too much. I don't think it gets nearly the credit it deserves, because a.) it's good, and b.) Al had to put this together during the production of UHF, so he really didn't have a whole lot of time to do it, which shows that he does good work even when he's crunched for time/budget/whatever. 8)
Stephanie
Al Team #2781
Al's #27 fan
Obsessed

Post by Al's #27 fan »

Money for Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies: 7/10 'Tis a good parody, but most of it is just music.

Ghandi II: 6/10 I like it better in the movie. :D

Attack of the Radioactive Hamsters from a Planet Near Mars: 10/10 Really good song. :D

Isle Thing: 9/10 It's a good parody, but, ehh, well, it's great!.

the Hot Rocks Polka: 10/10 Great polka. One of the best.

UHF: 10/10 Probably my favorite track on the album. I don't know why. It's one of my favorite songs.

Let Me Be Your Hog: 6/10 I like itt, but it's kinda short. ;(

She Drives Like Crazy: 9/10 Great parody, but it's missing something.

Generic Blues: 7/10 It's not my favorite...

Spatula City: 6/10 See Ghandi II...But I also wish he put Plots R Us on!

Fun Zone: 8/10 A good instrumental. I usually sing along and go "Ba da ba ba ba ba ba ba ba badaba da ba ba ba da da di di di di di di dididi di di di di..." :D

Spam: 8/10 Not a great song, but still pretty good.

The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota: 10/10 ALmost (:D) my favorite on the ALbum.
Begone, foul beast!
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

We already have a topic like this.
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;