Genius in France

Moderator: Moderators

chris23

Genius in France

Post by chris23 »

I think Al could have done a better job in his new song "Genius in France". It is clearly aimed at an audience of 7 year olds. Also, he could have gone without using the female background singers in the middle of the song. However, the rest of the CD rocks! :D
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I dunno... I'd say it's aimed at an audience of highly knowledgeable Frank Zappa enthusiasts. People who know (of whom I ain't one) say he's giving a nod to a very wide selection of Zappa's work, including his classical pieces. The "I'm so dumb" jokes (I lost it the first time I heard "have to water me twice a week") may go on so long just because that's how long it took him to work in all the musical quotations. For me, even though I don't know Zappa, the musical change-ups continue to be highly entertaining. :D
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

Huh? Al did a fantastic job on GIF!!! I listened to alot of Frank Zappa stuff and this is a great tribute to him!
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Post by jerrymustbeslaughtered »

Yeah, you really need to know Zappa to know GIF. And I suggest that you should.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

If he wanted it to be REALLY like Zappa, it would've had a lot of cursing in it though.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

If he wanted it to be REALLY like Zappa, it would've had a lot of cursing in it though.

Well, he did say "poop." That's about as foul as Al's language gets.

And he did use some uncomplimentary terms for French people. That actually surprised me more than the "poop" did, but then, those terms were placed in the mouth of someone with a self-confessed IQ approximating that of okra, so I guess it's a case of "consider the source." As in, those are the kinds of terms used by really stupid people.

I plan to keep an eye on the French Amazon.com site to see if anybody reviews the album there. Babelfish, here I come!
ETB

Post by ETB »

Hey I just wanted to bring this little piece up, in the song Genius In France when al sings "But when I'm in Provence, I get free croissants Yeah, I'm the guy every French lady wants" right in between the CROISSANS and YEAH you could hear in the background a dog bark, do you think its Bela that barked in the background or am I just hearing things.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Nope, you're not hearing things... From the Players page over at Mecca

QUOTE Bela - barking

A perfectly-placed 'yap' at 3:03 in \"Genius In France\" (from the appropriately named POODLE HAT album.)

That pup has a nice singing voice, huh?
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

It probably is Bela. Check the liner notes! It says that she provided the "dog barks".

While we're on the subject, the liner notes gives credit to Jon for "laughs". Does this refer to the laugh at the beginning of the song or the French laugh after "When I tell a stupid joke, they laugh." ? It sounds like Jon at the beginning. Bermuda, which is you?
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

When can we expect the online chat with Bela, the recording star....WhiZZi should try to line this up! :)
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?