MSN Chat with Al - 05/19/03

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

WHiZZi
Be jealous.

For those who missed the MSN chat **lots of text**

Post by WHiZZi »

DishDiva says: We have some great questions so let's get started!

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Hey everybody!!

TDAWG404 in Onstage1 asks: Whuddup, Al. Just out of curiosity, how do you come up with some of those lyrics, such as off of your Alapalooza album?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I don't really know where the ideas come from. I guess I have a chemical imbalance in my brain. I wish I could get the
voices in my head to stop.

1Note in Onstage4 asks: Care to tell us any artists you "style parodies" on Poodle Hat? We'd all love to know.

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: The song "Genius in France" is a style parody of Frank Zappa who is one of my all time heros. Also the song "Bob" is an obvious homage to Bob Dylan. There are a few others on this album, but since it's not out yet, I

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: would like to have people figure it out themselves.

rheome231 in Onstage4 asks: Hi Al. Where was the video for "Amish Paradise" filmed?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: We wanted to shoot that in Lancaster, PA where it wasn't quite as hilly, but we could only afford to shoot in Southern California. So we shot it at a little farm just north of Los Angeles.

Duppyboy8 in Onstage4 asks: We have heard rumors about parodies of Avril and Eminem. Is this true?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Yes this is in fact true. The Eminem parody is "Couch Potato" and the Averil parody is "A Complicated Song."

KawaiiMooseLover27 in Onstage1 asks: What's it like being a father?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: It's an amazing experience, I highly recommend it.

Samurai_Suko in Onstage3 asks: How do I know it is Weird Al speaking now?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I guess you don't. (laughs)

Pinstripes9 in Onstage1 asks: Do you like your 'look' better now or in the 80s?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I think I prefer my look now. It's the new, improved geek look.

Schleppy_Pigeon in Onstage4 asks: Did you plan for Nina to be born just a day after your second anniversary?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Yes. We wanted her to have her own day so we wouldn't have to all be celebrating at the same time.

justmac27 in Onstage4 asks: What kind of poodle is Bella?
Weird_Al_Yankovic says: She's a miniature, gray poodle.

Familyguy911 in Onstage1 asks: Do you think Eminem will parody you in one of his next songs?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Well if he does, I would be honored.
2Shelties in Onstage3 asks: Are you ever going to make another movie?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I would certainly love to. I haven't gotten any major offers recently but would be something I would consider if given the opportunity.

Poodle_Hat_27 in Onstage1 asks: How many accordions do you have? What is your favorite one?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I currently have five accorions, and even though my favorite is the black one I play on stage, I have a sentimental attachment to the old beat up one I had growing up.
Tallperson in Onstage3 asks: When is "UHF 2: Rise of the Twinkie Weiner Sanwiches" coming out?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I'll keep you posted on that.

gh_extratexture_1975 in Onstage1 asks: What song do you think contains your best accordion work?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: It's really hard for me to be objective about that. I would have to say one of the Polka melodies I guess. I think the playing on "Angry White Boy Polka" is pretty good.
andyou00 in Onstage1 asks: How did you end up on Square One Television?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I was approached by PBS to do the show and I've always had a soft spot in my heart for childrens programming and it seemed like a fun thing to do.
erossing in Onstage1 asks: My wife is mad at me because I found out about "Poodle Hat" today, when she planned to surprise me with it tomorrow. Can you suggest any way I could get back in her good graces?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Buy her a new car.

biscuit71772 in Onstage3 asks: Have you changed much since you got married?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Yes, I'm completely boring and have lost my sense of humor. (laughs)

UncleRex57 in Onstage3 asks: Will there ever be a Weird All DVD that contains both the parodies and the songs being parodied?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: No, but you can make your own if you have a CD burner.

scottidog27 in Onstage1 asks: So Al, do your towels match now?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: (laughs) Pretty much, yes.

Jelly-Fish in Onstage1 asks: What was it like seeing yourself on the Simpsons?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: That was possibly the greatest moment of my career. It ranks right up there with winning Grammys.

DrSauna in Onstage1 asks: Let us in on the scoop - what song can we expect to hear on Kilborn Wednesday night?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: One of the tracks from my new album.
AmericanMaid in Onstage3 asks: Will the wife tour with you, playing
keyboards and singing a la Linda McCartney?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: No, there's no plans for that at this time.

GreatFlyingCircuses in Onstage4 asks: Do you enjoy british humor?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Yes, I'm a huge fan of Monty Python and a lot of other British comedians. Unfortunately I don't think the British appreciate our humor as much.

TheFinalCarve in Onstage4 asks: I am a huge Frank Zappa fan, so I have to know what your favorite album of his is!

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I can't even narrow it down to an album but I'm partial to the work he did in the early 70's.
wierdportlandfan in Onstage3 asks: Who is the smartest person you know?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: It's either Albert Einsten or this guy named Bob that I knew in high school.

FunkmasterWeird2021 in Onstage1 asks: Would you ever impersonate the Crocodile Hunter?

elbingador in Onstage1 asks: Do telemarketers have trouble pronouncing YOUR name correctly, too?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: (laughs) Yes, they get it wrong all the time.

Evil_Disney_Guy_v2 in Onstage4 asks: Who is better: Spongebob Squarepants or Ren and Stimpy?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I love them both but early Ren and Stimpy has a special place in my heart.

EepGbuhOw in Onstage4 asks: How did you choose your back-up band? Are they friends or were there auditions?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I've had the same band for over 20 years now. I met my drummer through the Dr. Demento show and the other players I auditioned for.

Poopdogg4 in Onstage4 asks: What is your favrorte food sense you sing about it A LOT.

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I would tell you but then everyone would bring me that food on the road and I would eat it until I was sick of it. So I won't say.

RamMyRom1 in Onstage4 asks: Would you ever parody Cher?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: If I absolutely had to. Sure, why not?

sexy_latino_sammy in Onstage1 asks: What's it like to perform in front of a live audience and make them laugh?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: It's pretty cool. You ought to try it some time.

Photon411 in Onstage1 asks: How does it feel to have outlived the fame and/or groups that you parodied?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Old. (laughs)

LoganB42 in Onstage4 asks: What is Dr. Demento a doctor of?
Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Dementia.

Timebom® in Onstage1 asks: Have you ever thought of doing a Dr. Dememto type thing to help the next generation of satirical singers?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: As long as Dr. Demento is still around, there's certainly no need for that.

twineballgrrl in Onstage3 asks: If I someday controlled the world and offered you a country. Which one would you want and why?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: The United States because then I wouldn't have to move.

Tippytoeblue in Onstage4 asks: Have you ever been involved with theatre besides the obvious performing with your band that you do now?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: In high school I played Crunch in "Rebel Without a Cause" and I think I had three lines.

name_goes__here____ in Onstage1 asks: What is it like getting to goof off for a living?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Beats working.

WHiZZi_woway in Onstage1 asks: What would you do if you had unlimited money?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Just put it in a big pile and jump on it.

¤Ãlàla¤ in Onstage4 asks: Holy.. How did you get this interveiw with MSN? I need answers, Or I will dieeeee.

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: They asked me and I said yes.
Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Hope you're feeling better.

DishDiva says: And we're glad you did.

Republican3104 in Onstage4 asks: Are you a Republicac?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I don't care to give out my species like that.

Martbo in Onstage1 asks: What is your favorite song to sing live?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I always enjoy playing Yoda and "Smells Like Nervana" and "One More Minute" is always fun because I like going into the audience.

MaestroJen in Onstage1 asks: Any plans to put any pictures of Nina in the gallery?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: We want to be very careful in protecting Nina's privacy so there won't be any for a considerable amount of time. We just want to be very careful.

scottidog27 in Onstage1 asks: Have you been back to any of your class reunions?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: No, I've always had something when the reunions were supposed to take place, perhaps one of these days.
libdar in Onstage1 asks: When are you planning to tour?
Weird_Al_Yankovic says: The tour starts June 19th and the first leg will go to mid September.

DishDiva says: You can check out tour dates on Weird Al's website.
MesmerizedbyAlbuquerque in Onstage4 asks: What's your favorite song of all time? (Not yours)

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: "Momma Get the Hammer. There's a Fly on the Baby's Head."

antcrazymano in Onstage4 asks: IF you could talk to anyone who ever lived who would it be?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Probably Melvin Gridlap.

ChickenMonkee in Onstage1 asks: When you toured with the Monkees, did they get along ? Or did they fist fight all the time? Is Mike Nesmith a nice guy?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Mike wasn't touring with us when I was on the road with them but I'm sure he's a very nice guy. I'm not really at liberty to say how well they got along, but there was in fact a seperate bus for each Monkey.

Coleman-and-Hasselhoff in Onstage4 asks: Who's Melvin Gridlap?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Some guy I'd like to talk to.

DishDiva says: Oh you man of mystery, you.

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: (laughs)

corn_f1akez in Onstage4 asks: What inspired you when you were young?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Well the Dr. Demento Show of course and innumerable hours of television watching.

DishDiva says: What shows were you addicted to when you were a kid?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Obviously a lot of the comedy shows and I liked some of the cooler dramas like "Twilight Zone" and things like that.

Ņαřį in Onstage1 asks: *runs in and hugs* hi! how are you? : D

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Good, thanks for asking.

MrSchnizzle3 in Onstage4 asks: Where do you think best?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: In my brain.

WeirdAl4Life in Onstage4 asks: Is your wife standing there right now watching over your shoulder?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: No, she's out with the baby and my in-laws.

Spman2002 in Onstage3 asks: What score did you get on your SAT's?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I don't remember exactly but I think I was in the 700's in math and the 600's in English.

WeirdDenDen00001234251 in Onstage4 asks: What's your new track called that's on the radio now?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I don't think I'm listening to the same station as you so I can't say. If it's the Eminem on it's "Couch Potato."

MrSchnizzle3 in Onstage4 asks: If you weren't here talking to us, where would you be on a Monday night?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Just talking to myself.

AnyaSilverfur in Onstage4 asks: My parakeet loves to sing with your music! So do I!

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: That's nice to hear, thanks.

TheWordSlinger in Onstage1 asks: If you had to give up the music business, what sort of job would you like to be able to do?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I kind of always wanted to be omnipotent ruler of the world.

HamsterPolka in Onstage4 asks: What made you decide to do a polka song of Bohemian Rhapsody in its entirety, unlike all of the polka medleys?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: That song had so many different interesting parts to it I thought I could make a polka of one song and it wouldn't get boring. Also "Wayne's World" had just come out and was extremely popular.

GreatFlyingCircuses in Onstage4 asks: is your house on the map of the stars in hollywood/la/beverly hills?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: It wasn't but I've gone around and written it in in pencil.

DishDiva says: Look for it!

LunaticKAandSOL in Onstage4 asks: When was the first time you ate a tweenkie weiner sandwich?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I'm sure it was during the film "UHF." Perhaps during the rehearsal of the scene.

DrSauna in Onstage1 asks: What is the most odd object you have been ever asked to autograph?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: One of my CDs.

JennyLovesAl27 in Onstage1 asks: Are you ever going to run for president? You should! That would rock!

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Ok, I'll put that on my "To do" list.

ChrisKTFN in Onstage4 asks: Al, my wife's a music teacher and she's using your parodies to teach her students about musical humor.

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: That's terrific! Glad to help out.

Bennet531 in Onstage4 asks: What's the story behind "My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder?" Did your wife have something to do with it?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: No, absolutely nothing. Believe it or not only 72% of my songs are autobiographical.

Minnesotatwineball in Onstage4 asks: Have you ever thought of legally changing your name?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Yeah, I was going to have my name legally changed to Cher, but I thought I'd be getting her mail all the time.

megkid in Onstage1 asks: What do *you* think is the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Sliced buttered bread.

DrSauna in Onstage1 asks: Can we expect to see an ALTV sometime soon?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Yes. I'm working on it right now. We should be announcing a date shortly but probably a time next month. It's moving from MTV to VH-1 and it should be a great one.

Dexargile in Onstage4 asks: does joanie really love chachi?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: I've heard that they've had a trial separation but they're trying to work things out.

DishDiva says: Al, just a coupe lquestions:
DishDiva says: Favorite movie?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: "Top Secret"

DishDiva says: Nickname?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Weird Al (laughs)

DishDiva says: Best gift you ever received?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Does my baby count?

DishDiva says: She definitely counts!

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Then that's my answer.

DishDiva says: Weird Al, thanks for joining fans from around the world to talk about your new album "Poodle Hat."

DishDiva says: Always great to have you here!

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: My pleasure everybody, keep in touch.

DishDiva says: Look for Weird Al to tour near you!

DishDiva says: Got a comment you'd like to get onstage for Weird Al?

DishDiva says: Click the submit question button and enter your COMMENT
now!

DishDiva says: Weird Al has left the building to head to rehearsal.

gradyfox in Onstage1 asks: you are the best singer ever!!!!

SoLonley1 in Onstage4 asks: Al is a genious!!!!!

MesmerizedbyAlbuquerque in Onstage4 asks: You are awesome! I can't
wait to see you!

RamMyRom1 in Onstage4 asks: Love your concerts hope to see you
again this time

chasjan9481 in Onstage1 asks: Much appreciated Al! Hello to Bela, Bo,
Suzanne, Nena, Nick and Mary!!

WVWeirdAlLoverNamedMary in Onstage4 asks: Weird Al you rock and I
love you and I really really really want tickets to one of your concerts and
I really want to interview you sometime like dishdiva did

DementedDustin2 in Onstage4 asks: Looking forward to tomorrow!! Thanks again Al!!

TheWordSlinger in Onstage1 asks: Al, I just want to say your music is awesome and on my list of things to do before I die, seeing you in concert is on it!

WishingStar_ in Onstage1 asks: AL RUlz!!!!!!! he always puts a smile on my face...

gh_extratexture_1975 in Onstage1 asks: Bye Al! Thanks for answering my question!

TomFoolery1327 in Onstage4 asks: Thank you for being the best. Keep it going

Jellomethod1 in Onstage1 asks: thanks for the great time al

TheFinalCarve in Onstage4 asks: You're an amazing artist & don't get enough recognition. Never stop making music!

angelwiththefaceofadevil in Onstage1 asks: i love ur music weird al it is the best!

VJ_Scuzzo7 in Onstage1 asks: Tour my house! or at least the netherlands!

MrSchnizzle3 in Onstage4 asks: You are the best thing to happen to the world ever!!!

alliec27 in Onstage1 asks: Thanks for everything, Al.

Ali-and-sons in Onstage4 asks: Thanks Al! Looking forward to seeing you and the band!

Timebom® in Onstage1 asks: Thank you for spanning the generations with humor Al

WishingStar_ in Onstage1 asks: Bye all and take care of yourself keep doing what your doing

sweetkittie72389 in Onstage3 asks: You are the Best weird Al!!

DivaDiane13 in Onstage4 asks: you were my soulmate, but now your married and I'm engaged. Oh well.

PostALdude1 in Onstage4 asks: See you at the show in the third row! Hey, Scott K

Smart-e-chic06 in Onstage1 asks: Your the best weird al

LunaticKAandSOL in Onstage4 asks: I LOVE YOU AL, and i'm male!

Martbo in Onstage1 asks: Thank You Al! You are the best!

weirdojace in Onstage1 asks: You're the best, Al. Poodle Hat's gonna rock.

CryonicSilent_Dave in Onstage1 asks: Thanks Al, And I hope to see you at the Minnesota State Fair!

Stevarino_271 in Onstage1 asks: I cant wait for your concert in Gulfport, MS on August 8th or the new cd!!!

BiggestBallOfTwineInMN in Onstage1 asks: Do you ever get tired of being called "weird"? That's got to be emotionally damaging.

elbingador in Onstage1 asks: Simply put, you da man.
Turnstiles in Onstage1 asks: Weird Al is the best thing since sliced buttered bread!

Crazy_Nutso_ in Onstage1 asks: Al, you rock, Eat at joes!

¤Ãlàla¤ in Onstage4 asks: I want a poodle hat.

JennyLovesAl27 in Onstage1 asks: See you on Aug. 16 LOVE YOU!

marklar65 in Onstage4 asks: Thanks Al, see you tomorrow in Hollywood.

sentrysl in Onstage1 asks: Cant wait to see you at the Holmdel concert in NJ

Jelly-Fish in Onstage1 asks: THE NETHERLANDS LOVE YOU AL! Well... at least two guys there do...

Jellomethod1 in Onstage1 asks: thanks al now im gonna go watch uhf!!!!!!!!!!

weird_el in Onstage1 asks: peace and love to you always, Al
_Insert_stupid_name_here in Onstage4 asks: I love you in a strictly
platonic way

jferry2 in Onstage1 asks: Thanks for 20+ years of great music!
_PerfectlySane_ in Onstage4 asks: lalala, weird al, i wuv u!!!! lol

rawbery79 in Onstage1 asks: Have fun with your daughter!

TheGloaming03 in Onstage1 asks: Al, you should come tour the UK

PresRatbert197 in Onstage4 asks: You are a godAl! I LOVE YOU!

Rammstein_4600 in Onstage4 asks: your parody songs are even better than the original songs! i have never heard music better than yours!

lonewolfette9847 in Onstage4 asks: Weird Al polkas!

mxzgrrl in Onstage4 asks: AL is the parody writter in the world!!!!!

InsaneKillerDwarf in Onstage1 asks: You are the best singer in the history of the Universe....and before that!!!!

CryonicSilent_Dave in Onstage1 asks: Keep it Up man, You're awsome!

Poodle_Hat_27 in Onstage1 asks: Thanks AL for being there for me, I appricieate it!!!

clarinetqween in Onstage1 asks: we miss you on stage and we look forward to seeing you there again (backstage too!)

Krypt_onight25 in Onstage3 asks: I am blessed to be in your presence

pennyforth in Onstage1 asks: I think it's really great that you actually helped the Great Luke Ski propose to his wife at a concert on the "Running with Scissors" tour! You're the best!

elbingador in Onstage1 asks: Thanks for the laughter, the joy, and, uh...the music, too.

DishDiva says: That's all the time we have for today.
DishDiva says: Thanks to Weird Al Yankovic for joining fans from around the world to talk about his new CD "Poodle Hat."
DishDiva says: Thanks also to today's MSN Live Host team Mark, Trish and Josie. Give 'em a hand!
DishDiva says: We'll see you again tomorrow on MSN Live!
DishDiva says: Good night.
OneNote
Occasional

Post by OneNote »

He only answered one of my questions.. and deftly managed to say absolutely nothing I didn't already know.

I sob now. ;)
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

He answered mine! I'm Jelly-Fish! YAY! I'm so happy! feels like :xmas:
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

I thought my questions were pretty good. Maybe i shoulde only asked 1 or 2 instad of 6. OH well at least my comment was answered.
Stupidhippie
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Stupidhippie »

He only answered one of my questions.. and deftly managed to say absolutely nothing I didn't already know.
I sob now. ;)

No need to cry there buddy. He didn't answer either of mine. I was just happy to sit in the same chat room with him and learn more about that guy we all love. I was actually amazed at how many people asked questions that I considered basic AL knowledge. Or maby I'm just thinking about people in the room below I don't remember. It just blew my mind though. I was just tingling to know that AL was at the other end typing. :P

Stupidhippie

:stupid:
Attention Michiana Al fans. I will be on Fox 28 Morning show on October 12th 8:00 hour. Wheeeee
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I must say that my favorite answer was this one:

biscuit71772 in Onstage3 asks: Have you changed much since you got married?

Weird_Al_Yankovic says: Yes, I'm completely boring and have lost my sense of humor. (laughs)

El
Stupidhippie
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Stupidhippie »

I saw you in there El but it wouldn't let me say hi. so now I'm gonna say it...are ya ready..."HI!!"

Stupidhippie

Attention Michiana Al fans. I will be on Fox 28 Morning show on October 12th 8:00 hour. Wheeeee
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I thought my questions were pretty good. Maybe i shoulde only asked 1 or 2 instad of 6. OH well at least my comment was answered.

I asked a lot of questions, one got answered (gh_extratexture_1975).
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
likeasurgeon

Post by likeasurgeon »

Well if it makes you feel any better, I posted 12 questions and not one of them got through. I started 15 min before when they opened it too. Oh well :biggrin:
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

now I'm gonna say it...are ya ready..."HI!!"

Stupidhippie

Hi, back at ya! I asked a couple questions myself, but neither were answered. I'm still hoping they may be answered in future interviews. One was about working with Ben Folds and the other was which of the current artists being parodied was the easiest to deal with. We only seem to hear about them when they say "no" to something.

El