Money For Nothing / Beverly Hillbillies

Moderator: Moderators

Themagic#27
Obsessed

Post by Themagic#27 »

I have a very special place in my heart for this video, as it was the very first Weird Al I ever witnessed. My aunt showed it to me sometime in the mid-90's, when I was around five or six years old. I think she still has that tape, but I'm not sure, as the house she was living in then burned to the ground around a year later. Barely any of her stuff survived the fire, but I think the tape was one of the few things.

Anyways, I love this song and video with all my heart. Amish Paradise would be my fave, but this song is just SO special to me. I still love this video. I love it, love it...It's just really nostalgic. It reminds of how, when she lived there, me and my little brother used to spend the night with her and eat popcorn and play 'Go Fish'. I remember that when we went to bed, I could see her 'The Crow' poster glow in the dark. I even remember a party she had once, and all her friends were there, Tommy (who is evil now), Junior (who died in a car crash), Hank (who became addicted to drugs), Al (yes, she had a friend who had the blessed name), and Jason, who is just as he was then. Jason and Tommy used to prank call people all the time...

*looks at post* Wow, sorry I went off topic...I just like thinking about then. Good times, good times...Alright, back on topic now.
Are we playin' horseshoes, honey? No, I don't think we are...

♥Al-Team #6x7=42♥
modular
Obsessed

Post by modular »

I still have a thing for Your Horoscope for today for the same reason.
I am gone until June, as a result of the Junior Cert, a very large exam.
Themagic#27
Obsessed

Post by Themagic#27 »

^_^ When I saw this topic, I almost swallowed my tongue. My first thoughts were, "Thank God, the song's getting some recognition!"

♥Al-Team #6x7=42♥
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

alberta_27 wrote: remember Al was talking about Money for Nothing and in order to make the song Mark Knopfler said that he had to play the guitar solo. Has anyone else heard this?

Gee, I think I mentioned Mark Knopfler playing the guitar on the song first in this topic. *My post is above the one this quote came from* Do you people just skim through here, or what? Anyway, yes, Mark insisted on playing guitar, so Al said ok. Thanks, Manda, for the quote from the UHF commentary. I love that!

Patti

Is this thing on? hello?
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Themagic#27
Obsessed

Post by Themagic#27 »

And yes, I remember that from the commentary too. I've watched that movie no less than 5 times with commentary. "There's my butt!" Heh.

EDIT: Actually, I seem to remember Al trying Jim's version of the song first, and deciding that it was better to use Mark's, because "you just can't copy the Mark Knopfler feel." So instead of Jim, Mark was the guitarist for that song.

♥Al-Team #6x7=42♥
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

No the story behind that was, Jim had been practicing the song, and it sounded better than Mark's version, but, since Al said Mark could play on it, that's what happened. hehe, Al said Mark had been playing the song out on the road, and it had a looser feel, but he used it anyway.

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Themagic#27
Obsessed

Post by Themagic#27 »

Ahhh. Alright, I misunderstood. *is upset because seemingly everyone on WOWAY has met Al and the band except her and Jace* ROAR. I intend to meet him next concert. I will stand there and stare towards the stage until the security guards drag me out, kicking and screaming. ;)

♥Al-Team #6x7=42♥
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

algonacchick @ May 27 2004, 04:57 PM wrote: Jim had been practicing the song, and it sounded better than Mark's version
I'm going solely on memory here, but I believe Jim didn't just practice the song but rather he actually did play guitar on the demo that Al sent to Mark to use as a guide.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Ok, I just listened to the commentary on the UHF dvd. Al didn't say they had sent Mark a demo with Jim's work on the guitar, but Al did say that Jim had laid a guitar track down.

hehe, I love what Jay said about Mark being curled up in a corner, reading The Authorized Al and laughing hysterically. Jay also said they did send Mark some background info on Al.

So, there you have it!

Patti

So awesome!

Al Team #325
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

algonacchick @ May 28 2004, 01:03 AM wrote: Ok, I just listened to the commentary on the UHF dvd. Al didn't say they had sent Mark a demo with Jim's work on the guitar, but Al did say that Jim had laid a guitar track down.
Otay. I'm probably just misremembering some other retelling of that story ("Behind the Music" perhaps?).
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;