The "off The Deep End" Thread

Moderator: Moderators

algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Kevin, The Plumbing Song may have been released after Milli Vanilli were revealed as being frauds, but, remember, OTDE came out in '92, which means that Al most likely wrote the song earlier than that. Milli Vanilli were still a part of pop culture then, *considered a joke by the time OTDE came out, but still around*, so the song fits in with that formula. Al has said that his songs are like little time capsules, so that song is just one of those time capsules.

modular, if you want to know how they were found out, here's the scoop: They were "performing" on stage when suddenly, the record that was playing the song they were lip-synching to started skipping. That is when America found out that these two gentlemen could not sing, and were lip-synching their way across the country on a tour. That day ended all that. They had won a Grammy for Best New Artist, and had to give it back. They were two models hired to present this image to the people, because the real singers were not considered attractive enough. Kinda sad.

Patti
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Off The Deep End is an alright album. Has a few classics on it such as Smells Like Nirvana, Trigger Happy, and Airline Amy. Those three songs are my favorites on this album! The rest are find except for Taco Grande, I can't really stand listening to it. But, other than that, everything is fine.

Bite Me scares the crap outta me, too! You shoulda seen the first time I listened to the CD, I figured there was an extra track, or something. And I get....THAT! :lol:
modular
Obsessed

Post by modular »

Why does everybody call me RWDW?
I am gone until June, as a result of the Junior Cert, a very large exam.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

It's just me. I'm not paying attention. Sorry, again.

:S

*sneaks off to correct yet another post.* so very sorry!

So awesome!

Al Team #325
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

algonacchick @ May 16 2004, 01:31 PM wrote: Kevin, The Plumbing Song may have been released after Milli Vanilli were revealed as being frauds, but, remember, OTDE came out in '92, which means that Al most likely wrote the song earlier than that.
Way earlier. The song was recorded at the end of 1990.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Thanks, CD! That means Al wrote the song the same year Milli Vanilli were revealed as frauds. So, even though the cd was released two years later, everyone still knew who Milli Vanilli were. It doesn't bother me when Al writes a song about a pop culture event, yet releases the cd a few years later. It didn't bother me with this song, and it didn't bother me with OTAS, either. *Most likely because I'm always behind on movies* Remember, time capsules!

:D

Patti

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

algonacchick @ May 16 2004, 10:31 AM wrote: modular, if you want to know how they were found out, here's the scoop: They were "performing" on stage when suddenly, the record that was playing the song they were lip-synching to started skipping. That is when America found out that these two gentlemen could not sing, and were lip-synching their way across the country on a tour. That day ended all that. They had won a Grammy for Best New Artist, and had to give it back. They were two models hired to present this image to the people, because the real singers were not considered attractive enough. Kinda sad.

Patti
Wow, I never knew that. Weird......

But I'm very surprised that no one has sued Al for causing someone to crash their car when Bite Me started to play. I could just see someone driving in peace and quite, and then BAM Bite Me starts to play. I know I'd probably crash my car if that happened to me. I'm easily startled...... :F
In hiding since 2010
Manda
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Manda »

I like this album. Of course I like some songs better then others, but this album is very good. And its great to listen to all the way through.
Al team # 2836
Themagic#27
Obsessed

Post by Themagic#27 »

Here's MY review!:

Smells Like Nirvana: In my eyes, a masterpeice of weirdness. 11/10!

Trigger Happy: My little brother's fave song on this album. Hilarious! 9/10, lost one point for violence towards cats! XP

I Can't Watch This: Okay. Not especially funny, but it has it's cute jokes. 8/10.

Polka Your Eyes Out: Very well done! I always love his polkas. 9/10.

I Was Only Kidding: I actually rolled my eyes the first time I heard this song. ^_^ Cute and kinda mean all at once! 9/10

The White Stuff: Awesome! Great song, hilariously cute lyrics. 10/10!

When I Was Your Age: Yet another great example of Al's brand of humor. Not as original as his usual work, but funny enough to make up for it. 10/10!

Taco Grande: WAY underrated. This is a great parody, although unoriginal. I love his Spanish accent! 10/10!

Airline Amy: Cute. Not especially funny, but a good example of his more "tame" humor. 6/10.

Plumbing Song: Very cute, although, as always, I have to point out it's unorigianlity. Love the lyrics, and that it's more than one song of theirs mixed together. Very well done. 8/10.

You Don't Love Me Anymore: I saw the video of this song weeks before I got the album, and I loved it with all my heart. He seems so sincere and destroyed by everything. Lovely, violent, and hilarious all at once. 11/10!

Bite Me: Aw, Gawd. I told myself I wasn't gonna review this! *sigh* Fine! I'll just say that it's the most annoyingly funny six seconds of audio ever recorded. BRAVO! 10/10.
Are we playin' horseshoes, honey? No, I don't think we are...

♥Al-Team #6x7=42♥
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

SMELLS LIKE NIRVANA -- 10/10 Genius.

TRIGGER HAPPY -- 10/10 Awesome Beach Boys style parody. My favorite original on the album.

I CAN'T WATCH THIS -- 7/10 It's pretty good. I like Couch Potato better.

POLKA YOUR EYES OUT -- 6/10 Eh, it's an okay polka.

I WAS ONLY KIDDING -- 10/10 I love this song. It's so hilarious.

THE WHITE STUFF -- 10/10 - People at school take this song the wrong way. *ahem* But it's a really good parody.

WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE -- 7/10 Would have been better if it was shorter.

TACO GRANDE -- 5/10 Eh, I'm indifferent to it.

AIRLINE AMY -- 8/10 A love song that doesn't end in death, hatred, or some other depressing thing! YAY!

THE PLUMBING SONG -- 5/10 Bleh, it falls flat.

YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE -- 10/10 WHOO! One of Al's greatest love songs ever.

BITE ME -- 10/10 Best. Album. Ending. Ever.

I'd give this album a 9/10.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;