Make The Rock Hall Weird!

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cinnamon
Obsessed

Post by Cinnamon »

CatraDhtem @ Mar 23 2004, 03:59 AM wrote: I've been trying to find out whatever I can for such a campaign for the last half a year or so. ...

I'm open to any suggestions or ideas on this, as I would like to either help launch such a campaign or contribute significantly to it.

...And of course, questions do arise. Does the RRHOF frown upon such initiatives? Would an actual petition work? Does one petition with, say, 100,000 signatures carry more weight than 50,000 individual letters? I would love to be able to jump right into the deep end and do whatever feels right, but at the same time I don't think any of us want to somehow hurt Al's chances. If I may quote a certain movie about witches and slippers, "These things must be done delicately..."  ...

The purpose of my RNRHOF post was to throw out some ideas for whoever might be looking into it and possibly help ( :w to Catra).

My main focus is the Star Fund, but I obviously support the idea of a RNRHOF campaign and I don't know the best approach for them. btw, what movie are you referencing? :unsure:

Bobbi had a good idea of contacting other fan groups (of perhaps artists with a fan base of a similar size?) to possibly get some advice on the methods of their success. They could provide some useful information.

Other then throwing out some ideas at this point, is there anything we (other fans) can do to help?
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

scottidog @ Mar 23 2004, 06:51 AM wrote: You misunderstood my question. Why isn't he rock n roll? You've heard his music, right? Not all of it is polka. And when it is polka, in most cases, it's polkafied rock music. I think that was a remark posted just to try to incite an argument unless you can back it up with some facts.
Well, I mean, he does rock-n-roll but he does everything else also. He's not JUST rock 'n roll like a lot of groups. And it's weird rock...it's all weird...in a good way!
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

anthontherun @ Mar 23 2004, 02:15 PM wrote: I don't know how much it helped, but I started a petition to get George Harrison in the RNRHoF about 18 months ago. Once I had about 800 signatures, I printed it out and mailed it to them. And George was just inducted this year, so I wonder if my petition had anything to do with it.
That, and the fact he's George Harrison... ;)

Thanks for bringing it up Cinnamon! I think brainstorming is great, and I'd be happy to lend my support to whatever we can do to help.
like_im_27again
Obsessed

Post by like_im_27again »

Boy, The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation doesn't make it very easy to get in touch with them on the website--the only option is via snail mail. :huh:
I'll call information and get a phone number, and then hope there's a friendly person there who will answer some questions. That is, unless someone else here has already looked up a phone number?

The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce is much more user friendly--readily available by phone.Image

Depending on what the RNRHOF Foundation says of course, if we're just talking about circulating a petition, it seems like this could easily fold right into the Weird Al Star Fund efforts. For instance, if we're able to get that table at the OC Fair where people who really want to hear about it approach US, after we hit them up for money for the Fund, while we're thanking them for their money (or time), we can say something like, "By the way, would you like to sign a petition to nominate Weird Al to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? There's no money involved in this one--just a signature."

Vikki
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Elvis @ Mar 23 2004, 03:39 PM wrote: Does the R&R HOF work the same way as, say baseball's HOF?  In that I mean would Al be voted in by music critics the way baseball players are voted in by sports writers?

According to the Hall's web site...
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame wrote: Performers
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist’s contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation’s nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of about 1,000 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes, and more than 50 percent of the vote, are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

So, as you can see, they're being a little vague as to who all decides on inductees. I mean, in theory, anyone can claim to be a "historian."

I do remember a post on here a while ago in which it was suggested that some people at the Hall do play favorites (I think one specific former "Rolling Stone" editor was mentioned), which I feel tarnishes the idea behind the honor a little.

But anyway, I'm trying to find out as much as I can, but right now it looks like it depends on the unnamed members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation.

Also with baseball, the unwritten rule is that only the best of the best get voted in during their first year of elligibility, the next tier of players on the second or third year, and if you're not in by the third year you might as well give up.  After 15 years, or if you don't reach a certain threshold of votes, you're off the ballot and you've gotta get voted in by the veteran's committee.

Isn't Black Sabbath in a similar position? I don't know if that means that an artist continues to be "in the running" or if they need to re-nominated again year after year.
like_im_27again @ Mar 23 2004, 07:06 PM wrote: Boy, The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation doesn't make it very easy to get in touch with them on the website--the only option is via snail mail. :huh:

Yeah, I can't figure that out, either. There's not even a listing for the Foundation in Yahoo's phone search.

Depending on what the RNRHOF Foundation says of course, if we're just talking about circulating a petition, it seems like this could easily fold right into the Weird Al Star Fund efforts.

If it is decided that we go the petition route, I have a feeling there would have to be "petition captains" for each concert. I've already been brewing up some ideas on how to make something like that work.

For instance, if we're able to get that table at the OC Fair where people who really want to hear about it approach US, after we hit them up for money for the Fund, while we're thanking them for their money (or time), we can say something like, "By the way, would you like to sign a petition to nominate Weird Al to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?  There's no money involved in this one--just a signature."

Cool idea. :) I didn't know you were trying to get a table for the Star Fund at the OCF. Good luck with that. You might want to look into the idea of having a selection of the Cafepress items for sale there.
Cinnamon @ Mar 23 2004, 06:06 PM wrote: btw, what movie are you referencing? :unsure:

"The Wizard of Oz"
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Since they mention R&R Historians, I wonder if Dr. Demento could shed some light on the process for us? Isn't he pretty widely respected in music circles as a historian?
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

Elvis @ Mar 23 2004, 09:39 PM wrote: I don't think it's too early to be doing something on that front either, and I don't think there's any conflict with Weird Al Star Fund either. In fact, they probably play off each other nicely. Being inducted into the R&R HOF would be a nice thing to add to Al's resume on the star application, and I imagine having a star couldn't hurt Al's chances of getting into the R&R HOF.
I agree that having a star would aid his chances of getting into the R&RHOF. But he already has three Grammy awards and several platinum albums, and I'm certain there are artists already in the Hall who can't match those credentials.

After 15 years, or if you don't reach a certain threshold of votes, you're off the ballot and you've gotta get voted in by the veteran's committee.

Hmmm, I wonder if the RNRHOF does a similar thing? Having Paul McCartney voting on it would certainly aid Al in getting in.
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

CatraDhtem @ Mar 23 2004, 09:04 PM wrote: I do remember a post on here a while ago in which it was suggested that some people at the Hall do play favorites (I think one specific former "Rolling Stone" editor was mentioned), which I feel tarnishes the idea behind the honor a little.
Yes, and Jann Wenner was inducted himself this year in the "nonperformer" category. :stern:
This means something. This is important.
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

weird_el @ Mar 23 2004, 07:55 PM wrote:
CatraDhtem @ Mar 23 2004, 09:04 PM wrote: I do remember a post on here a while ago in which it was suggested that some people at the Hall do play favorites (I think one specific former "Rolling Stone" editor was mentioned), which I feel tarnishes the idea behind the honor a little.
Yes, and Jann Wenner was inducted himself this year in the "nonperformer" category. :stern:
Nonperformer? How do you make music if you never perform?
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

iisryan27 @ Mar 23 2004, 11:35 PM wrote: Nonperformer? How do you make music if you never perform?
"Non-performers" include deejays, producers, TV personalities, etc.

But no, it should most definitely not include people on the induction board. :stern:
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;