Albuquerque/Frank Zappa

Moderator: Moderators

Phillipemoz
Occasional

Zappa/A-L-B-U- kirky!

Post by Phillipemoz »

There IS a mention of Albuquerque New Mexico on one of Zappa's songs off his album The Man From Utopia (not one of his best albums, some of the songs are just plain bad, like he is trying to fulfil a contract obligation, which shouldn't be necessary because he released close to 60 albums in a span of 25 years)

Anyway, The Jazz Discharge Hats (which has 'unclean' lyrics like many of FZ's songs) is one where FZ tells a story, but it sounds like a live concert recording of Zappa just joking around with crappy jazz impov in the background- Weird Al's Albuquerque is a far, far superior song.

It starts out:

Once upon a time

It was in Albuquerque, New Mexico

There were these girls that worked at the college

They were really cool

(they thought so anyway)

They would be delighted to tell you how suave they were at the drop of a hat

Albuquerque is mentioned at least 4 times in this song. I am sure you can find the full lyrics by doing a search of Frank Zappa sites, but be warned, it is not for children.
Alucard
Occasional

Post by Alucard »

i actually have the album Man From Utopia (I'm pretty close to a full collection). Anyway, Jazz Discharge Party Hats and The Radio Is Broken, right along with Luigi and the Wise Guys are the WORST FZ songs, in my opinion. I do love the title track though, the first three songs on the album, and the awesome instrumentals (We Are Not Alone, Moggio, and Tink Walks Amok). Stick Together is a pretty good song too, though as far as Zappa goes, unless you're mature enough not to take anything he says seriously, don't listen (most everyone on here seems like they could handle and possibly love FZ's music). You're Right though--definitely not for children.
ALphabet

Post by ALphabet »

Whats this talk about not for children? I guess it's a matter of taste
ALphabet

Post by ALphabet »

Frank Zappa is god!

Oh ya, the Man from Utopia is a very dry album. Great instrumentals though. He was a beautiful guitarist.
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

Wow...this topic is from, like, 2003...
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Check out the 1995 song "Dick's Automotive" by the Rugburns. This is what "Albuquerque" mirrors most closely. So closely, in fact, that it is almost a parody!

For Al's take on Zappa, you gotta go to "Genius in France" off of the POODLE HAT album

Meadows

PS: You can listen to a short clip of the Rugburn's song here: DICK'S AUTOMOTIVE

Even this short bit will convince you that Al took some creative liberties.

Al's version is so similar to this song, I'm surprised he didn't include The Rugburns in the Special Thanks section of the CD booklet. (Don't get me wrong. . .I still love "Albuquerque"!)
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
weirdalfan95
Obsessed

Post by weirdalfan95 »

That IS close! Um, wow.
Al- Team #2294
August 19, 2007 Waukegan IL Genessee Theater
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Oh, it's close. And--just like "Albuquerque"--"Dick's Automotive" has a runtime of just over 8 minutes. And yes, it's all done in the same rambling, storytelling way as Al's version.

But The Rugburns are pretty cool. And funny. (And on iTunes.)

Meadows
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

Wow, that really is close, the music is similar too
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

That definitely is very similar. The music sounds almost exactly the same and that rotating tires bit sounds a lot like the donut shop bit in Albuquerque.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.