Strings Attached Tour 2019

2019 - Plus a full orchestra!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: Post-Vanity Tour (2019/2020/????)

Post by Killingsworth »

TMBJon wrote:And yes, as Muppetboy said, there really should be a polka -- a Hamilton Polka perhaps.
Yeah, at this point the only thing I can see PREVENTING Al from doing the Hamilton Polka live next year would be the songs' sheer lyrical density

...but, I'm sure they can get around it by playing it a bit slower and more down tempo if they have to (after all, it ain't like its' friggin' Hardware Store or anything)
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

According to an interview that recently went up (it was posted here somewhere else I think), Al will not actually be touring with an orchestra, but there will be "a different one every night." Sounds like it'll be up to the city he plays in to provide the orchestra for each show.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Well if the Philadelphia Orchestra was good enough for Walt Disney it should be good enough for Al

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Also from the interview, it sounds like costumes and video screens are back, meaning (probably) the same setlist every night. The only thing I can imagine is that there could be a few rotating songs in the beginning.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Muppetboy09 wrote:Also from the interview, it sounds like costumes and video screens are back, meaning (probably) the same setlist every night. The only thing I can imagine is that there could be a few rotating songs in the beginning.
If this turns out to be the case, then part of me is a little concerned.

I really hope next years set list isn't going to be too similar to the Mandatory tours' set list (since, y'know...he already did that one with the Hollywood Bowls' orchestra two years ago) but its' tough to imagine how he would change it up significantly from that touring cycle when the only notable piece of music he has released since then has been The Hamilton Polka (which he is likely not going to do live with or without an orchestra).

If he doesn't release any more new songs by the time he goes back out on the road, then I at least hope with this new setlist he can find the right balance between old costume numbers that have long ago become new live staples and old deep cuts from the last tour that he liked performing enough to hang on to (i.e. Jackson Park Experess, Don't Download This Song and others that would actually work well when backed by an orchestra)
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Yankopunk
Addicted

Post by Yankopunk »

Like some others, I'm concerned about the price. Even just getting a decent orchestra from each city will cost a bit. I don't know... if I'm still around, I hope I can attend a show. Wish he'd come back to my city.

No matter what, I know it will be a great show. :accordion:
The greatest thing a human being can do is make another person happy. If I can ever help do that for you, just let me know!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: Strings Attached Tour 2019

Post by TMBJon »

Heard from an anonymous JNN source I ran into in West Hollywood yesterday that this tour will feature a lot of big venues with a different orchestra in each city, and that the setlist will be about 50% the same as the Hollywood Bowl shows of 2016 and 50% something else.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

If there was ever an appropriate tour for a proper live album on physical print and in record stores near you rather than a home video or podcast collection then this would be it.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

I did the math, and the 50% the same could very well be just the usual classics, Fat, Amish Paradise, Yoda, ect plus room for Tacky and/or Word Crimes from MF. (I like WC more but Tacky is awesome live, if he keeps that intro) Interesting to see what the other 50 will be.

Also about the video screens. Someone mentioned since there will be video screens that it would be the same set list every night. Maybe, but I say not necessarily. Theoretically, if he's doing costumes again, he would NEED the screens for those changes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the screens will be on the whole songs every song. But we'll see. It depends i guess on what he wants to do.

All I can think about is:

An orchestra could pull off This Is The Life and Pancreas couldn't they?

(Still not SURE they could DO Pancreas live because of ALL the background vocals, especially at the end.)
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

Certain venues could have a special song during the encore that isn't worth making every setlist dedicate time to. Spyhard for instance isn't a song we all demand but it fits the theme and could be a rotation friendly song. Then again I would only want a special rotation of that caliber if we were getting opportunities to hear them all officially a la Stitcher Premium again.