4/15/2018 Tabernacle, Atlanta, GA

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

ergalthema
Occasional

Re: 4/15/2018 Tabernacle, Atlanta, GA

Post by ergalthema »

What concerns about Al's voice? He sounded great at every show I saw. I wasn't at Augusta though.

Sent using Tapatalk
CrimsonE

Post by CrimsonE »

ergalthema wrote:Spoiler alert for anyone who doesn't want to hear about banter between songs, Etc . Al stopped after the local grocery store line in Midnight Star. He wanted to be clear that the character in the song said 12 items or less because they're supposed to be an idiot who believes everything in the tabloids. He wanted to be clear that the incorrect word was intentional. His banter was very funny tonight. I wish I could recall everything. He clarified that mr. Popeil is about Sam Popeil, not Ron. I saw dog-eat-dog in Lexington and here. That's really fun live, especially with the lighting. He said stop forwarding this crap to me was written in a very dark period of his life, before he knew how to use email spam filter. I haven't been to the Tabernacle in 15 years or so. It's such a cool venue. Crowd was great. Emo killed it. I'm surprised after seeing four shows that he added new jokes each time. Does the first time he didn't stuff anything into his pants though.

Sent using Tapatalk
Also a spoiler alert about banter.
Spoiler:
He talked about how it was April 15, and thus time for the stores to start displaying their Christmas decorations. To celebrate, he would play 1/2 of his Christmas tunes.

He talked about how the last time he played Dog Eat Dog, he was wearing an extra-large suit. He also remarked how it was a deep album track, and then said every song from Polka Party was a deep album track.

Finally, he talked about the irony of his record company putting up Don't Download this Song on the Internet, creating an ethical issue for the fans.

Also, he talked about how he didn't want to be known as the parody guy when he requested that Midnite Star be the first single from In 3D, but perhaps 35 years of perspective lead him to believe that the record company was right in the long run when they chose Eat It.
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

I'm not the biggest Rolling Stones fan ( heresy, I know), but I really enjoyed the cover tonight. Al used an accent like Mick Jagger, and was really getting into it by the end.

Sent using Tapatalk
richegreen
Regular

Post by richegreen »

Was this the first time he covered a song that was already recorded for one of his Polkas?
8/23/94 5/28/96 8/3/99 2/3/00 5/11/00 5/12/00 7/7/00 10/29/00x2 11/2/00 11/3/00 11/4/00 7/25/02 7/10/03 7/18/03 9/20/07 9/3/10 5/14/15 3/1/18 3/22/18 3/23/18 7/20/19 4/26/22 5/10/22 5/13/22 10/29/22
CrimsonE

Post by CrimsonE »

richegreen wrote:Was this the first time he covered a song that was already recorded for one of his Polkas?
It does not look like it, as he did Smoke on the Water for Polkas on 45 and Honkytonk Woman for Hot Rocks Polka.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

There are no spoilers for this tour because every night is different. You're reviewing what you saw and aren't spoiling anything for those who haven't seen it yet.
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

Well sometimes he does the same jokes/gags at other shows.

Sent using Tapatalk
TheToolMan
Occasional

Post by TheToolMan »

ergalthema wrote:Spoiler alert for anyone who doesn't want to hear about banter between songs, Etc . Al stopped after the local grocery store line in Midnight Star. He wanted to be clear that the character in the song said 12 items or less because they're supposed to be an idiot who believes everything in the tabloids. He wanted to be clear that the incorrect word was intentional. His banter was very funny tonight. I wish I could recall everything. He clarified that mr. Popeil is about Sam Popeil, not Ron. I saw dog-eat-dog in Lexington and here. That's really fun live, especially with the lighting. He said stop forwarding this crap to me was written in a very dark period of his life, before he knew how to use email spam filter. I haven't been to the Tabernacle in 15 years or so. It's such a cool venue. Crowd was great. Emo killed it. I'm surprised after seeing four shows that he added new jokes each time. Does the first time he didn't stuff anything into his pants though.

Sent using Tapatalk
I was surprised by Emo too. I've been to four shows and each time I heard jokes i hadn't heard before along with some I had.
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

One more noteworthy memory - of the 7 shows I saw, this by far had the most people waving their cellphone lights during Don't Download This Song. It was cool to see.
YankovicAvidan

Post by YankovicAvidan »

Heyyyy, this was my show! (Forgive me for posting on this nearly two months after it happened!) This was super fun! I loved it!

Also, this was my FIRST EVER Al concert, soooo... that's nice!

(And also my first time meeting Al! Lots of firsts that night!)

(Well, more like two firsts. But still...)

(Also, I was ABSOLUTELY one of the several people waving their phone lighter-style in the air during "Don't Download This Song." It's a slow jam, you just gotta!)
"I'm a pineapple!"

Saw Al in concert:
4/15/18
6/30/19
Met Al in-person (!!!):
4/15/18