3/25/2018 Playhouse Square - Ohio Theatre, Cleveland, OH

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

RunningWithScissors
Regular

Re: 3/25/2018 Playhouse Square - Ohio Theatre, Cleveland, OH

Post by RunningWithScissors »

The show was amazing as always.

I was a little dissapointed with Jeopardy, only because, it was WAY before the non VIP members were allowed in, but the stopped playing when there was still at least half the questions left. I wanted to see the rest. (I didn't get picked, but I knew all the answers except, I didn't know that Alapalooza originally had a different cover they deemed too close to the original, that was interesting.)

I had to go to the restroom during Emo, but what I heard of him, I maintain my earlier comment. I wasn't personally offended, but I am still really stunned Al picked him, since Al's family friendly, and had issues with that.

My favorite joke from Emo that I remember was:

"I hate being divorced. ..... I would much rather be widowed."

So on another thread, I posted my predictions for the setlist. I knew I shouldn't because Al keeps it pretty random, but Al started with Albuquerque which I had determined was unlikely, so I thought, well. I don't know what I'm talking about XD.

But hey, on my 'likely' list, he played 5 of 7, so I was on to something at least. (Edit, I miscounted, only 4 out of 7)

He only did two songs I didn't care for, which I won't say what they were, but they were both semi close to the end (of the originals) And I liked that, Because at that point, I was over the moon about the amazing setlist I had gotten so far!

I am so glad and surprised I got a show without CNR (Don't dislike it per say, but not my favorite and I've seen it already.)

I think my biggest surprise in the setlust (Besides CNR) was that he didn't do Jackson Park Express. I thought he had done that at every show except ones that were multiple shows in the same city. It's not my favorite though, so it's okay, but I thought for sure I would get it sometime.

I love the whole concept of him doing a different cover every night, but quite a few he's done I had never heard of, so I was worried.

....but OMG, PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC...... OMG.... That was AMAZING. You know, I have been waiting forever to see for the first time Midnight Star, UHF, Your Hororscope For Today, Young Dumb And Ugly, (And several others) But OMG that MIGHT have been my FAVORITE part of the show. It was really rocking, the audience was into it, it was amazing!

My ONLY complaint about the show- and it's not a huge deal, but, I've heard a lot of reviews saying Al told a lot of stories, and I don't think we really got any. I was looking forward to that part of it. We got the fake Let Me Be Your Hog build up, he talked about Midnight Star and that they were all actual headlines in the weekly world news, but I think that's all we got other than "This is a _____ pastiche", but it was still amazing without those stories. :)

Oh, not really a big story, but one other funny thing he did say was, before I'm so sick of you, he said "I was a really big Elvis fan. I decided to write a song with him in mind." So I'm like, 'Okay, Velvet Elvis.' and then he's like, "By Elvis, of course I mean Costello." XD

I was in the balcony, and there were quite a few (not a ton, but, at least 5-6) people that walked out half way through. I was like, "Really???" I hope Al never really sees any negative feedback like that, It actually made me sad for him. Here he is putting on this AMAZING show and people are walking out??

My friend was recording the show. He got most of it, but when the people in front of us left, it blew his cover, and he got spotted, so he had to turn it off. We didn't check to the very very end of the video I don't think, but he at LEAST got to Mid horoscope. Expect that video on youtube at some point. (He got most of Emo too.) (But he works crazy shifts so it might take him a few days)

Meeting Al again... MUCH better experience than the first time. NOT that meeting Al could ever be bad, but last time the line was around the corner, and when it was my turn I saw him for the first time, got star struck, and lost my words. XD. This time though, we saw him the whole way up, so I got star struck from a distance XD By the time it was my turn I was able to thank him for the amazing tour. Especially after the people walking out, I wanted to make sure he knew how much his fans appreciated what he was doing.

I actually brought a silver sharpie to have him sign Dare To Be Stupid with, but he had an assortment of colors on the table already.

Amazing night! Worth 4 hours in the car!
Margarita
Occasional

Post by Margarita »

RunningWithScissors wrote: I think my biggest surprise in the setlust (Besides CNR) was that he didn't do Jackson Park Express. I thought he had done that at every show except ones that were multiple shows in the same city.
No Jackson Park Express??? :oo Wow. Unbelievable. I also thought that does it every night!
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Nope, seems he really wanted to spoil you guys! The last few shows actually, as good as it gets! Would much rather have oldies than JPE, CNR and Bob. JPE is really great Live though.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Here's Dave's review from this show!

Youtube

If you have Weird Al related news or a concert review, you too can be a correspondent for YNN. Contact me and we’ll set it up!

-Alicia :accordion:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Making my way through all of the shows on Stitcher and now listening to this one. Wow, bad night for Al's voice!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.