The 20 Forgotten Songs

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

The 20 Forgotten Songs

Post by Muppetboy09 »

So, Al has said in numerous interviews that he and the band are trying to have between 50-60 songs rehearsed for this upcoming tour. By my count (forgive me if I miss any), Al has 80 original songs in his catalog. That means that about 20 songs are out of contention. I thought it would be interesting to see which songs everybody thinks didn't make the cut. The 20 I think aren't being performed would be:

1. Dare To Be Stupid
2. Twister
3. Trigger Happy
4. Young, Dumb & Ugly
5. Harvey the Wonder Hamster
6. Since You've Been Gone
7. The Weird Al Show Theme
8. Truck Drivin' Song
9. Hardware Store
10. Wanna B Ur Lovr
11. Genius in France
12. Pancreas
13. Virus Alert
14. Weasel Stomping Day
15. Don't Download This Song
16. Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me
17. Lame Claim to Fame
18. Sports Song
19. First World Problems
20. Jackson Park Express

What do you guys think?
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Re: The 20 Forgotten Songs

Post by RunningWithScissors »

We need Virus alert!!! D:

So like, I was never a fan of You Make Me, and when I saw him in 2010, I was really upset it first that I got that instead of Frank's 2000" TV, but then seeing it live, I realized how awesome YMM is. I started thinking about others that might be like that, and Young Dumb And Ugly is a good example. I never cared for it, but I bet it would be awesome live!

1. Gotta Boogie
2. Buckingham Blues
3. Ringtone
4. Dare To Be Stupid
5. One Of Those Days
6. Don't Wear THose Shoes
7. Good Enough For Now
8. Lame Claim To Fame
9. Generic Blues
10. Trigger Happy - I think this would be fun to see live but I agree with others that it would probibly be too political.
11. Talk Soup
12. Harvey The Wonder Hampster
13. She Never Told Me She Was A Mime
14. I'm So Sick Of You
15. Weird Al Show THeme
16. Truck Drivin Song
17. Hardware Store
18. Wanna Be Ur Lover
19. Pancreas - LOVE it, but I can imagine it being near impossible to do live
20. Don't Download This Song
Margarita
Occasional

Post by Margarita »

I'm not trying to guess all 20 songs, but I want to make a list of songs he is most probably not going to play.

Al has already mentioned that there will be no 1)Hardware Store, because it's hard to perform live.
Also, he said that he's not doing his least favorite songs, and 2)Gotta Boogie is one of the songs he is "not very proud of".
3)Dare to be Stupid is a great song, but I think Al mentioned that songs that were played too often before are not going to be included into the upcoming tour. So, it also makes 4)Wanna B Ur Lovr a possible candidate to be forgotten(which makes me kinda sad :( , but, well, I understand, that people who attend every Al's concert might have become tired of it).
Songs like 5)Pancreas, 6)Everything You Know is Wrong and 7)Genius in France are also hard to perform live, so, I guess, we're not going to see them this year, either.
I'm NOT including Jackson Park Express in the list, because I have a feeling that Al might find a way to actually do this song live. That would be really cool, in my opinion.
As for other Al's songs I'm not so sure. I, honestly, wouldn't be surprised even if he sang Harvey the Wonder Hamster Theme Song, because why not? :huh: :D
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I will try to post more thoughts on this great topic when I have more time, but for now I want to agree with Margarita on JPX. I would be shocked if at the end of this tour Jackson Park Express hasn't been attempted at least once or twice. I know Al has been itching to play it live for years.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

TMBJon wrote:I will try to post more thoughts on this great topic when I have more time, but for now I want to agree with Margarita on JPX. I would be shocked if at the end of this tour Jackson Park Express hasn't been attempted at least once or twice. I know Al has been itching to play it live for years.
I feel like I'm having a stupid moment... (Good thing I dare to be.... har har har....) But why would that be hard to play? Is there instruments in there I'm missing or something?
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

RunningWithScissors wrote:
TMBJon wrote:I will try to post more thoughts on this great topic when I have more time, but for now I want to agree with Margarita on JPX. I would be shocked if at the end of this tour Jackson Park Express hasn't been attempted at least once or twice. I know Al has been itching to play it live for years.
I feel like I'm having a stupid moment... (Good thing I dare to be.... har har har....) But why would that be hard to play? Is there instruments in there I'm missing or something?
Without backing tracks, I think it is possible, but not likely. There is violin and bongos amongst the already present guitar, bass, drums, and keyboard. Also, it's pretty backup vocal heavy. Again, I think they could still do it, but I'm just not sure if they will.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Oh Jim takes a lot of pride in both Young, Dumb & Ugly and Genius In France so I think they'll will be done at some point. DEFINITELY Young, Dumb & Ugly! Here are some I don't think they'll be doing:
Hardware Store
Dare To Be Stupid
Good Enough For Now
Christmas At Ground Zero
The Night Santa Went Crazy
Since You've Been Gone
Weasel Stomping Day

I'll add more soon, in the midst of some stuff, but these because they have been done or probably just won't.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Here are the ones I think will not be played at all:

1. Buckingham Blues - in bad taste given how things wound up for Diana
2. Such A Groovy Guy - an uninspired song that I'm sure Al is not proud of, but doesn't even have the ironic appeal of Gotta Boogie
3. That Boy Could Dance - can't see there being much of a desire to see this one
4. Dare To Be Stupid - as others have said, it's been played too often to be included this year
5. George Of The Jungle - would be a waste of time
6. Twister - doesn't really make sense in an unplugged setting
7. Attack of the Radioactive Hamsters - would be glad to be wrong about this, but I can't imagine people have been clamoring for this one
8. Trigger Happy - subject is too sensitive in 2018
9. Harvey the Wonder Hamster - waste of time
10. Waffle King - there are three originals on Alapalooza (Waffle, Mime, and Talk Soup) that seem unlikely to me, but I'll only count this one for now.
11. Since You've Been Gone - this one needs the backing track, though if they do attempt it with the band on backups live it would be amazing
12. The Weird Al Show Theme - combination waste of time and complicated to play live
13. Hardware Store - much to our collective dismay, Al has confirmed this one is impossible to pull off, at least for this tour
14. Wanna B Ur Lovr - such a staple over the last ten years, it may as well be skipped for this tour
15. Pancreas - I would love to be proven wrong about this, but it seems too complicated to pull off acoustically
16. Weasel Stomping Day - pre-recorded sound effects seem like a necessity for this track to work
17. Ringtone - praying I am wrong about this one, but Al has said in the past that it's too challenging vocally to pull off live
18. Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me - doesn't feel like a good use of six minutes of the show
19. Sports Song - too complicated to play live
20. Mission Statement - again, I really hope to be wrong on this one, but it feels like it would require too much work with all the harmonies to make this work

There are a handful of other songs I chose to leave off of this list which I think are pretty unlikely, but we really don't know how obscure Al wants to get. Is he going to play Gotta Boogie, Stuck In A Closet With Vanna White, and Don't Wear Those Shoes just for the sheer obscurity of the tracks? Is he going to play stuff like Spy Hard or Take Me Down, thus meaning a few more album tracks that don't get played? We have no idea. I hope I am wrong about a few of the above (as indicated). These are far from the 20 tracks that I personally don't want to hear live.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Good list, but technically GOTG isn't an original, but a cover. I didn't think about twister though, I agree, He shouldn't do that.

I had kinda thought though it might be cool if he did some kind of short melody with shorter originals, LMBYH, HTWH, SYBG, Twister, ect, but probably not, was just a quick idea.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

That Boy Can Dance rules!! I'd love to hear it HAHA and they definitely have to do Attack at some shows, I think its coming!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!