06/03/2018, Esplanade Theatre, Medicine Hat, AB

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

HalifaxKat
Regular

06/03/2018, Esplanade Theatre, Medicine Hat, AB

Post by HalifaxKat »

Gonna add a thread for this one.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: 06/03/2018, Esplanade Theatre, Medicine Hat, AB

Post by TMBJon »

What happened at this show??? JW posted an Instagram story that shows Al out in the crowd talking to audience members? Giving them the mic at points? Can anyone shed light on this? HalifaxKat?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Me and Kat are regretfully done on this Tour even though we should have added the Enoch show in. This one is an odd place to have a show, got no info on this yet. In the crowd, weird, what went on here?
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
amyshy
Occasional

Post by amyshy »

If you go look at JWs Instagram stories he videoed Al going into the crowd to talk to a random(?) fan and tried to get him to sing a duet of Summer Loving from Grease. The guy was comically flumoxxed and JW seemed to know this was coming so I wonder if it was a set up of some kind.

I couldn't get the video to play with the sound last night. The video froze but you could still hear everything. Wonder if anyone else had better luck with it.
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

Al also brought back the ol' "Audience Inspiration Song"* where the band repeats the same set of notes in unison for dramatic effect until Al screams an audience member's name.

*unofficial title as listed in The Songography
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

CB Johnny wrote:Al also brought back the ol' "Audience Inspiration Song"* where the band repeats the same set of notes in unison for dramatic effect until Al screams an audience member's name.

*unofficial title as listed in The Songography
Was that the "cover" song, or just part of the setlist?
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

Summer Nights was the cover.

Audience Inspiration Song is a concert only rarity that was performed between Summer Nights and The Saga Begins
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Wow.... I can’t wait to hear this. I could not get JW’s video to play sound. Even the video was skipping around.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Did anyone else find that awkward for Al? Hopefully it played out better live than it comes across on a grainy cell phone video, but I kept waiting for "Luke" to be a celebrity in disguise or professional singer or something, or even Olivia Newton-John to be waiting in the wings just offstage and come out and rescue it. Instead it just kind of fizzles out. It almost comes off like the "Audience Inspiration Song" was unplanned and Al went to it to try to save some face.

Again, maybe it's just the video, would love to hear from someone who was there.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

Just a moment ago on Reddit I talked about this entirely through a lens where it was real and awkward.

However I am becoming more convinced that the whole bit was a work. :online:

Al has had enough awkward fan interaction singalongs to have anticipated this.

I was there when a fan was caught off guard during Poodle Hat Tour during One More Minute's closer.

I was there when someone at Foxwoods didn't know the lyrics to Yoda.

So am I supposed to believe he sincerely went up to a fan and, after noticing said fan was behaving in a shy nervous sounding manner, announced a duet of a song he never performed before....without asking let alone providing a lyric sheet? :foil:

At first I just thought Al got overeager and didn't think this through.

However.... This felt like performance art. Something meant to make us cringe.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was all one big Andy Kaufman-esque stunt.

And if I'm wrong then either way I just gave Al and the fan a ton of room to save face. :good:

------

Edit: June 6th,2018
I spoke far too soon. This post was written when I could only hear the footage and not see it. Some of the interactions were inaudible on a low quality phone.

If the fan in question is reading this. I apologize for missing some red flags about your discomfort towards your identity being sincere. The technical difficulties may explain it but they don't excuse it. If you want to share in your side of the experience on here or in PM please know that the invite is on the table.

Love,
a fellow fan
Last edited by CB Johnny on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.