4/09/2018 & 4/10/2018 Pabst Theatre - Milwaukee WI

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Re: 4/09/2018 & 4/10/2018 Pabst Theatre - Milwaukee WI

Post by Yankomaniac »

A big load of the covers and originals are up on youtube if you need to see some so damn bad. ;)
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
amyshy
Occasional

Post by amyshy »

Yankomaniac wrote:A big load of the covers and originals are up on youtube if you need to see some so damn bad. ;)
Not all of them have made it up on YouTube. A couple of the ones I most want to hear I haven't been able to find. Also some of them have kind of crappy sound quality. I'd much rather hear the professional recordings if I can. :D
TwineBallorBust

Post by TwineBallorBust »

Yankomaniac wrote:Just so everybody knows, the setlist will always be posted by somebody on setlist.fm within' 1-8 hours after the show. To be 100% sure that is what was done, it's cool to have proof but generally people know what there posting on there. Order may not always be authentic but, what the hell.
Yeah, and you can always check the comments. If the order is wrong, usually whoever added stuff in will say "not sure on the order" and then someone else will correct it a few hours later.

Milwaukee show was a dream for me, happy I went. Twine Ball sounded so excellent live and I was even more appreciative of getting to hear it at my third show, once the tour had really sunk in for me, than I was at the first one, and just a great performance of it. Between that and then the back-to-back-to-back pair of Star/Trail/Download I got all four of the songs I wanted to hear again, any one of which would have made the night worth it. Guitar on Midnight Star was so great and it's such a good hidden gem of a song, Nature Trail to Hell crushes it in the most fun and colorful way and just such an energetic explosive song, and Don't Download is a longtime favorite it was quite nice and fortunate to get such a rare performance of again.

I brushed up on Young/Dumb/Ugly before the show and ended up enjoying it more as a result, too.
DKelly28

Post by DKelly28 »

amyshy wrote:
TMBJon wrote:Wow, this is the first time in the tour he’s done a second song by the same artist, right?
I believe so. His range is particularly well suited to Tom Petty's songs and as a fan of both musicians I was over the moon to see him do another Petty cover.

I love that he's doing these covers! I've been stalking YouTube for them after each show. I hope they will be included when the shows stream on Stitcher this summer. Frankly I'd love a compilation CD of most of these covers but I imagine getting all the rights would be prohibitively expensive. I shamelessly ripped his cover of Blister in the Sun off YouTube because I love it so much. I'm still looking for Are You Gonna Be My Girl and Last Train to Clarksville to pop up there, but I may be out of luck. The Vic was pretty strict about recording so I wouldn't be surprised if no one was able to get it. I had an usher admonish me just for holding my phone up too long taking a picture! :angry:
Honestly, hearing them do a Tom Petty cover made the concert even more of an amazing and surreal experience for me. I purchased the VIP package last month as a birthday present to myself because I knew that I had to do this at least once in my lifetime especially after last year when I was planning on purchasing a ticket to see Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers one night at Summerfest in Milwaukee. I ended up not being able to afford the ticket so I figured I would just go see them the next time they toured...and unfortunately we know what happened a few months later. So hearing him and the guys perform Breakdown gave me a lot of closure.

Ironically, out of my top 3 favorite musical artists - Al, Foo Fighters & Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers...I have seen 2 of the 3 acts perform Breakdown in concert (Foo Fighters covered it in Milwaukee at their 2012 Summerfest show) but not the artist that created the song. So also hearing My Own Eyes live on Tuesday Night was also a huge thrill for me especially after not having made it to any Mandatory Fun Tour shows.
amyshy
Occasional

Post by amyshy »

DKelly28 wrote:
Honestly, hearing them do a Tom Petty cover made the concert even more of an amazing and surreal experience for me. I purchased the VIP package last month as a birthday present to myself because I knew that I had to do this at least once in my lifetime especially after last year when I was planning on purchasing a ticket to see Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers one night at Summerfest in Milwaukee. I ended up not being able to afford the ticket so I figured I would just go see them the next time they toured...and unfortunately we know what happened a few months later. So hearing him and the guys perform Breakdown gave me a lot of closure.

Ironically, out of my top 3 favorite musical artists - Al, Foo Fighters & Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers...I have seen 2 of the 3 acts perform Breakdown in concert (Foo Fighters covered it in Milwaukee at their 2012 Summerfest show) but not the artist that created the song. So also hearing My Own Eyes live on Tuesday Night was also a huge thrill for me especially after not having made it to any Mandatory Fun Tour shows.
Oh I'm so sorry you missed seeing TP on his last tour. :( I paid a ridiculous amount for tickets to his Chicago show last June (spurred on by losing Bowie and Prince among others the year before) and I'm so glad I did. I took 2 friends who are big fans and it was a really great show. Tom's death was such a shock. :( My new motto is life is short, buy the concert tickets. Which was why I also splurged on a VIP ticket for Al last Friday here in Chicago AND bought a ticket for the Saturday show as well. This tour is just such an amazing gift to the fans. I really loved both shows I got to see!

I love how people are connecting to these cover songs. His cover of Last Train to Clarksville on the Saturday show was especially meaningful to me because when I discovered Al I was already a HUGE Monkees fan, so getting that crossover cover was just the cherry on the amazingness of that show. And I never want to hear anyone else sing Blister in the Sun I like his version that much! :inlove: