05/11/2018 The Theatre at Ace Hotel, Los Angeles, CA

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

ergalthema
Occasional

Re: 05/11/2018 The Theatre at Ace Hotel, Los Angeles, CA

Post by ergalthema »

If anyone knows of a ticket becoming available (besides what's on StubHub), can you let me know?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I am going to this one with my friends, Comedy Bang Bang editors, and WOWAY members: "Mandatory Fun" (Drew) and "yankochick27" (Heather)! :tacky:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
mswirtz
Occasional

Post by mswirtz »

Well I should have asked about tickets for this show when I was there last night because I got a ticket online this morning! I'll be in orchestra right seat 14. I just didn't want my tour chase to end just yet :D
erkman27
Regular

Post by erkman27 »

I will see all of you there! In fact, I actually have an open VIP ticket if some lucky someone would like to attend with me. I am looking for someone that might be willing to drive. I am in Sherman Oaks and it's quite a commute. It does not include the meet & greet unfortunately but has all the other goodies including the pre-concert game show! Let me know!
Cheerios Applejacks Cheerios
Occasional

Post by Cheerios Applejacks Cheerios »

Cool! I just met Dr. Demento in the lobby.
Cheerios Applejacks Cheerios
Occasional

Post by Cheerios Applejacks Cheerios »

Setlist!

1. Fun Zone
2. CNR
3. Dare to Be Stupid
4. The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota
5. Nature Trail to Hell
6. The Night Santa Went Crazy
7. One of Those Days
8. Why Does This Always Happen To Me?
9. UHF
10. I Remember Larry
11. Mr. Popeil
12. Midnight Star
13. Happy Birthday
14. You Don't Love Me Anymore
15. Albuquerque
(bass solo)
16. Unplugged Medley

Encore:
17. Girl U Want (Devo song)
18. Yoda
a3s1g1

Post by a3s1g1 »

what an amazing night - Al and the band played every song I was hoping they'd play (from the songs I knew they were playing on this tour), Dr. Demento was in the same row as me and I met Thomas Lennon in the parking lot. This tour rules.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Rian Johnson was there last night! Al told me he considered asking him to sing the line of Yoda... I wonder why he didn’t!

I also got to meet Dr. Demento - such an honor to be in his presence - and Allie Goertz, the new editor of Mad Magazine!

Oh yeah also I Lost On Jeopardy! Check YNN sometime soon for the video!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

In the end I guess it's better to lose considering it's in the name of Al right.. I'd love to see them do a full version of it with the regular bass lines and guitar riffs one day. Doubt it though.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

It's interesting that I've seen so many people online specifically pointing to this setlist as being their favorite. There have been some similar setlists and people commented about them as well. Almost seems like the older the songs, the more people want to hear them. Could be some logic in that. I tend to agree. This was definitely one of my favorite setlists this tour as well.

It seems like there is usually some extra enthusiasm for the unplugged medley, Albuquerque, and Saga/Yoda. I understand why, but those seem almost pandering and I personally would rather hear more deep cuts in place of those. I know that sounds negative, but I just wanted to state my opinion.

You might have noticed me complain about not hearing Biggest Ball of Twine in the first five shows I attended. Well, I'm grateful that I was able to reschedule my (already booked) trip to LA so that I could see both LA shows. So, finally I have heard Twine Ball live, and my life is complete. It was glorious and exceeded my insane expectations.

Comments/complaints about the LA shows:
• I was surprised how many empty seats there were. The first night, almost the whole front center balcony row was empty. Plenty of empty seats the second night as well.
• The first night, I was second row center balcony - there was a reverb that blurred the music a bit - possibly the acoustics of the venue. It sounded much better the second night when I was in the upper balcony. I expected it to be worse there. Also, the first night, there was a distortion in the PA for a couple songs. It was subtle, but annoying once I noticed it. Fortunately, it was fixed relatively quickly.
• Al's accordion has been a bit low in the mix for all seven shows I saw. Other people have said the same thing (I realize some probably don't know it's a MIDI accordion playing other instrument sounds, but it would help if it was louder). I can hear it, and what he's playing sounds great, but I almost always wished it was a little louder.
• The second night, there was a very large guy who moved from his seat to the front row of the upper balcony, and he leaned out, recording video the WHOLE SHOW. He wasn't directly in front of me, so it didn't affect me. But I felt very bad for everyone directly behind him. He seemed to get annoyed when people walked in front of him because he would have to refocus the camera, etc... I just don't get some people.

Anyway, the shows were awesome. I can't believe this tour is real.