3/1/2018 Tarrytown Music Hall, Tarrytown, NY

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Re: 3/1/2018 Tarrytown Music Hall, Tarrytown, NY

Post by Yankomaniac »

Bass player extraordinaire actually do a bass solo? HAHAH because that would be killer too.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

They are clearly doing Blue Suede Shoes because they know that Elvis is in the building. :king:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
TheToolMan
Occasional

Post by TheToolMan »

Great to hear they played Your Horoscope For Today.
richegreen
Regular

Post by richegreen »

My spoilerific recap:

I can honestly say that this is the most fun I've ever had at a concert, Al or otherwise! This was my 19th time seeing them, and my fiancee Heather's second time. We got a very good dinner at The Twisted Oak just down the street from the music hall (during the dinner, the house music played both American Pie and Bad, and I couldn't help but feel like we were being trolled), and then ran into NJSteve and his daughter around the corner. We very briefly got to say hi to Al, Jim and Steve (and I believe the other guy was Jay Levey?) as they arrived in an Escalade with NYC taxi plates, as they were just coming back from a Tonight Show taping in the city. It was funny because I made a joke that Al was in that SUV as it pulled into the lot, and then he actually was!! Then we went in. I got the t-shirt and was considering getting one of the $100 UHF posters that was straight out of Al's storage lockers for my home theater, but after I sat down I found the exact same poster on ebay for $20! They also had a set of White Stuff and I Can't Watch This promo singles on sale for $200! I had a spot on the right balcony overlooking the right side of the stage. It was an interesting angle because even though I couldn't see Ruben at all, and could only somewhat see Jon and his drumset, it gave a backstage perspective and I was able to see the lyric monitors that they were using (although honestly with this kind of tour, I don't blame Al for taking that route, although I had to laugh at him reading along to the lyrics of Eat It....). Jim also had an ipad with chord sheets and Steve had an old fashioned binder on a music stand.

I've been staying off this forum since the Poughkeepsie show since I wanted to go in completely blind. This was a wise decision as I really had no idea what would be happening, and would have spent this whole show anxiously hoping (and being disappointed) that they'd play When I Was Your Age, a song I've been wanting to see live since 1992......Emo Phillips has never really been my cup of tea, but he had some funny stuff. I don't know if the sodomy and necrophilia jokes were accidentally told or if part of the act was him correcting himself and saying "oh yeah...Weird Al demographic audience". The intermission was a lot shorter than I expected. Emo was on from 8 to 830, and then Al at 845 to 1030.

When they came out and sat down (No Fun Zone, they came out just to our cheers), Al said he wanted to get the toughest song out of the way first, and performed Jackson Park Express, my first time seeing it. I realized that I barely know the lyrics to this one, aside from I LIKE YOUR BOOBS. He was using a new MIDI accordion with strings sound effects. Next was Mr Popeil, which was my first time, and THE first time live since the 80s. He told us to imagine Jim and Steve as two women with beehive hairstyles. It was a really fun time, and this one I knew by heart. Al used an organ sound on his accordion. Next was Generic Blues, which Al introduced as being one of the 10 best blues songs of all time, according to BB King. I saw this back at my first concert in 1994, and it's always been a great live one. Steve then left the stage, and Al yelled out "Steve??? Where are you going??" and then Bermuda left too. At this point, there were a lot of obnoxious yelling from the audience for requests, which would continue throughout the show. Someone was aggressively calling for Twine Ball, which Al said they couldn't do with only 3 people on stage. Then someone called for Albuquerque which Al gave a "maaaaaaaybe later" to. They performed You Don't Love Me Anymore. Al didn't smash the guitar, but he did pick up the tambourine, look at it, then put it back down between verses. After the song, Al commented on how they really shouldn't do two anti-love songs in a row, but this next one was about a more healthy relationship than the last one, which was Melanie (a song I've seen a number of times in the past), and was Al's first song where he just sang while sitting on the stool without playing anything.

One really great thing about this tour is it gives Al (and occasionally even the other band members) a chance to talk to the audience more and tell stories. The Tarrytown Music Hall is the smallest venue I've seen them perform in since Toad's Place back in the 90s, and it really was a more intimate setting. I got a couple of photos and quick videos, but I was glad that nobody spent the entire show on their phones like many of the other concerts I've been to over the last couple years. Anyway, before CNR, Al told the story about how he talked to Reilly's family about doing the song, and they just requested that they not make him sound like a sissy in it. Before Horoscope (note that this time Al DIDN'T use his MIDI accordion on it, and yes, there were horns coming from somewhere) Al went on a rant about how there is now a 13th horoscope, and this song had to be considered a retro look back. I think I scared the hell out of Heather when I yelled the KILL THEM line in her face. So then Al says that they were planning on doing some straight covers by bands that inspired him and the band for this tour, and were gonna do a deep cut from the Grateful Dead. They really had me fooled at first, until I realized that they were actually performing Dare to Be Stupid in their style! This was when I realized that this was really was the best concert I've seen in my life. Next Al was gonna perform his oldest song to ever get put on an album. I was thinking Take Me Down (I probably would have won on Jeopardy if I did VIP) but it was Mr Frump in the Iron Lung, first time for me seeing that live! Jim volunteered to hold a mic up to Al's air release. Al went into a whole story about how his new Hamilton Polka single drops in 3 hours, and he tried to make it as complicated as possible so that it couldn't ever be done live. Jim kept egging on Al to give it a try anyway, so they started playing......Don't Download this Song (where Al threw in a remark that this is completely different song from what they were just talking about) First time played live, and it actually worked really well. Al was playing accordion on it, but I couldn't tell which sound. It was around this time that they started doing a routine where when they introduced a live song for the first time, Bermuda was supposed to play a fanfare. I'm not sure if things weren't coordinated or if it was part of the act, but each time Bermuda missed his cue, and then made up something on the spot. There were quite a number of minor glitches in tonight's show, which really added to the charm of it. Traffic Jam was another first time live song, and again Bermuda missed/messed up his cue. They also apparently skipped over a song on the setlist because Al wasn't expecting to hear Traffic Jam's intro at that point....I don't know if they ever got back to what they missed.

Al took out a pair of bongos for Good Old Days, which I saw back in Cleveland for the Internet Leaks tour (and yeah he commented that even the congas got downscaled to bongos for this scaled down tour). Once again they said this was the first time playing the next song, My Own Eyes (at this point Bermuda was faking being completely asleep behind the drums for his cue), but I could have sworn they've been doing this one for one-off appearances over the last couple years? Then Al went into a story about how most of his songs are made up characters, but this was his one song that was 100% auto-biographical: Albuquerque! I wasn't expecting it this early in the set, and as much as I love the song, I'm hoping it gets skipped on my other two shows simply because it takes up 1/6th of the set, as it gets drawn out even further. After that they still weren't done, and did a parody medley similar to the one on the last tour, but this time added in a hilarious rendition of Smells Like Nirvana, Amish Paradise and White & Nerdy. There was a very quick encore break, and then they came back and Al said that he was finally up to take a request from the audience. He heard a collective request for Blue Suede Shoes by Elvis, and the band performend a remarkably impressive straight cover of it. Then Al promised one more song, and it would be another one that had NEVER been played live before.....and it was Saga Begins. I really wasn't expecting that, and assumed that Yoda would be next, but it wasn't and that was the end of the show. Really a headscratcher to end the show on, since if he was gonna do Saga (which already fit the formula which I thought he was trying to get away from) why not complete the whole formula with the song they've been closing with for most of their career? The weather outside was getting pretty bad, so we wanted to hurry home as soon as it ended.

I really must say, I LOVE the way they did this show. It really was my dream come true when Al first started talking about doing a "regular" concert tour, and just going out on stage and performing a different show every night. I barely even noticed that they didn't do a single parody until the end of the main set. Then again, we aren't typical "fans" but the audience as a whole seemed completely on board. Even the ones who were screaming out song requests were asking for originals "This next song is NOT about Vanna White, and no more requests PLEASE" Al had to say at one point. While I'd still love to seem them do a stand up rock show instead of sitting on stools, I admit this format actually worked really well. All of the anecdotes and banter between the band that we haven't seen since the early 80s will really make each show unique. I can't wait for my next two shows in NYC in a couple weeks. Once I finally got in the car to drive home, I checked the setlist from the first night - was very happy to see how different the two shows were, but was really bummed that I missed When I Was Your Age. Hopefully it makes a reappearance on 3/22 or 23! Either way, I expect great things from this tour, and i look forward to following along on the shows I won't be at.

The one thing that WOULD have been the icing on the cake is if they did Good Enough For Now. This is going to be our wedding dance song, and we BOTH would have completely lost if if we got to dance to a live version of it tonight.
8/23/94 5/28/96 8/3/99 2/3/00 5/11/00 5/12/00 7/7/00 10/29/00x2 11/2/00 11/3/00 11/4/00 7/25/02 7/10/03 7/18/03 9/20/07 9/3/10 5/14/15 3/1/18 3/22/18 3/23/18 7/20/19 4/26/22 5/10/22 5/13/22 10/29/22
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Well, THAT was awesome. I drove all the way from Cleveland to see the show, and it certainly didn’t disappoint. It was really cool running into Elvis and Adrian before the show. I was happy to finally meet them.

The show itself blew my mind. It was awesome to hear JPE, Mr. Popeil, Generic Blues, Mr. Frump, DDTS, and YDLMA live, and I thought the DTBS Grateful Dead-style was genius. I also really enjoyed the Blue Suede Shoes cover.

One thing that really struck me during this show was how ridiculously fantastic the band sounded. They always sound amazing, but I think this format really allows them to showcase their talents. These guys are kickass musicians, and I hope this tour allows more people to realize that.

Overall, I’m so happy that Al decided to do this tour. Doing JPE and Albuquerque in the same show would never have happened under the regular tour format. The sky’s the limit with this tour. I can’t wait to see what else Al has up his sleeve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Spot on Richard! You nailed that review perfectly, that was an excellent play by play of the concert! :great:

My review will be posted eventually I’m sure. One thing I didn’t mention in my review was apparently the whole fanfare thing wasn’t scripted so every time Al threw it to Bermuda and caught him off guard it was genuine! Also not everyone in the band is a Grateful Dead fan! :ph34r:

Great to meet you Kevbo! ^_^

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Jigawatt
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Moderator: 2010
Former Multi-Time Best Avatar (Non-Photo): 2003-2009
Best Avatar: 2015

Post by Jigawatt »

Kevbo1987 wrote:It was really cool running into Elvis and Adrian before the show. I was happy to finally meet them.
That was a fun, unexpected surprise! Glad you spotted us. :ttr:

Can't say much that hasn't already been said here. The new show is fantastic and I can't wait to see how it morphs as the tour goes on. I love the new additions to the medley. Grateful Dead to Be Stupid is something you must all behold at some point. etc etc etc. It was a ton of fun and I want more now please.

Shout out to the fellow Al fan who randomly decided to berate the server at the burger restaurant down the street on our behalf for skipping over us and seating a group that hadn't been there nearly as long as we had. Anne went to inquire about it and before she had a chance to say much, this Al shirt clad woman laid into them and before we knew it, we had a table. :lol: Al fan solidarity.
"Then you had Muppets and Hispanics and William Shatner."

PMFL!
DrSteggy
Off The Deep End
Awards: Winner, Survivor All Stars

Post by DrSteggy »

Jigawatt wrote: Shout out to the fellow Al fan who randomly decided to berate the server at the burger restaurant down the street on our behalf for skipping over us and seating a group that hadn't been there nearly as long as we had. Anne went to inquire about it and before she had a chance to say much, this Al shirt clad woman laid into them and before we knew it, we had a table. :lol: Al fan solidarity.
That was amazing. A harbinger for the entire evening.

I have nothing to add. I took a few pictures, but I don’t think this show lends itself to 500 shots a show. Plus, everything is unexpected and it’s too exciting to take time with the camera.
"Positioning is everything in life." A. de La Hunta
CrimsonE

Post by CrimsonE »

Amazing. I hope they keep Albuquerque for the Atlanta show.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Anyone go VIP at this show? Curious if indeed a song on the setlist was skipped.
And also, is the Grateful Dead version of DTBS a riff on a particular track, like the Layla version of Eat It?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.