The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

TheToolMan
Occasional

Re: The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

Post by TheToolMan »

Does Al always restart Albuquerque towards the end? Last night was my first time seeing it live and at the part where he loses his train of thought after telling another amusing anecdote he completely restarted the song. He did about a minute of the beginning before finding his thoughts and making the point, "I HATE SAUERKRAUT!" Does he always do this? I have a video if anyone is confused.
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

TheToolMan wrote:Does Al always restart Albuquerque towards the end? Last night was my first time seeing it live and at the part where he loses his train of thought after telling another amusing anecdote he completely restarted the song. He did about a minute of the beginning before finding his thoughts and making the point, "I HATE SAUERKRAUT!" Does he always do this? I have a video if anyone is confused.
Yes, he usually does that live - and the extra donuts, etc.
TheToolMan
Occasional

Post by TheToolMan »

ergalthema wrote:
TheToolMan wrote:Does Al always restart Albuquerque towards the end? Last night was my first time seeing it live and at the part where he loses his train of thought after telling another amusing anecdote he completely restarted the song. He did about a minute of the beginning before finding his thoughts and making the point, "I HATE SAUERKRAUT!" Does he always do this? I have a video if anyone is confused.
Yes, he usually does that live - and the extra donuts, etc.
Oh yeah, he did tons of donuts. I was so happy to see Albuquerque after seeing him so many times.
TheToolMan
Occasional

Post by TheToolMan »

Does anyone know the bus arrangements for this tour? There's an orange and a black bus. I saw Emo and the band get on the orange bus at the gas station the other day, which made me assume Al had the black bus to himself. However, I was just browsing Emo's Instagram and he makes it sound like Al is on the bus with he and the band.

OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

Al has always been on the same bus as the band. The other bus is for the crew.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
TheToolMan
Occasional

Post by TheToolMan »

OneWAY wrote:Al has always been on the same bus as the band. The other bus is for the crew.
Oh man. That makes my gas station encounter even better. He must've stayed on the bus while everyone else went in.
hungerfan
Occasional

Post by hungerfan »

Watching some of the live video footage floating around the internet and I had a concern. How loud has the show been at these smaller venues? We are center aisle seat...Row D. Should I have some kind of ear protection for my 8 year old?
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

hungerfan wrote:Watching some of the live video footage floating around the internet and I had a concern. How loud has the show been at these smaller venues? We are center aisle seat...Row D. Should I have some kind of ear protection for my 8 year old?
I do a lot of audio/video work and kind of regretted leaving my earplugs in the car (twice...). In Lexington, I was in the upper balcony and there was a large speaker array hanging from the ceiling firing directly at me. In Louisville, I was in the first few rows behind the pit area, and there were speakers pretty close. My ears weren't ringing when I left, but some moments in the show (My Own Eyes, I'll Sue Ya) were a bit painful.

Basically, they seem to know what they're doing with the volume - pushing right near the pain threshold. I'm guessing most people don't protect their ears at these shows, but I'm very cautious about it. I'd recommend bringing earplugs and using your own judgment.

While I'm here - does anyone have VIP tickets for Atlanta? I got some from StubHub. They mailed physical tickets that look legit, but I'd like to hear from someone who bought them direct. (I don't expect VIP entry, since that's supposedly not transferrable - I just want to see the show.)
SophieT
Occasional

Re: 2018 Setlists

Post by SophieT »

Last edited by SophieT on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
ThisGuyMarty
Occasional

Post by ThisGuyMarty »

Something fun I'd like to share about this tour is that my best friend and I have been placing bets on what we think the encore songs will be. I know to some people it might seem like a far fetched thing to take a stab at, but if you've followed Al's interviews and radio guest spots closely, you should have a pretty good taste of what some of Al's personal favorite songs and artists are.

I'd like to proudly say that I've successfully guessed 6 songs and 11 artists correctly so far :D
The artists I guessed where The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Devo, Talking Heads, Tom Petty, Elton John, Billy Idol, Stealers Wheel, The Who & Ramones.

The songs I guessed where 867-5309, Refugee, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting, Stuck In The Middle With You, Squeeze Box & Beat On The Brat.

I've got a bunch more in my guess bank and I'm excited to see if more are actually played :)

Lots of fun!