The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Re: The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

Post by Muppetboy09 »

I've been wondering, if he does talk show appearances for this tour, is there a chance he will perform old originals? I know that usually when he is promoting an album/tour, he performs the latest songs, so I'm not sure about this one.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
SophieT
Occasional

Post by SophieT »

Holy Smokes!!! If he performed older originals,that would be so great.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd love to see him sing Generic Blues. No one sings the blues like Al.
AL's the only Blues singer that offers an alternative to blowing your brains out.
In these troubled times, we all need to hear Al sing the Blues.

If Al sang this on National TV, he could save a lot of lives. And the Bowling Alleys would thrive, a boon to physical fitness in this country.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Muppetboy09 wrote:I've been wondering, if he does talk show appearances for this tour, is there a chance he will perform old originals? I know that usually when he is promoting an album/tour, he performs the latest songs, so I'm not sure about this one.
Yes, very likely!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I'm sure Generic Blues will get it's share of set time finally! We're getting closer!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

I had another new random theory. I'm sure it's crazy, but, Al has said a 90 min show, 75 mins of originals at least.

I had the theory, and Ive said, that maybe he will play 1-2 parodies at the end, ones he hasn't done in full live in a long time (IE, Like A Surgeon (Original version), I Love Rocky Road, I Lost On Jeopardy, Living With A Hernia, ect.)

But suddenly, randomly, I have a new.... not so much a theory, as a 'wouldn't it be AWESOME if...'

What if the last 15 mins was some kind of melody with The Theme From Home Improvement/Snack All Night/Trash Day/Green Eggs And Ham/Chicken Pot Pie/ect, a melody of concert only songs. That would be really awesome!
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Yeah, I feel too if they were to play a medley of parodies it would most likely be the concert only non album tracks. It has been a long time so it is likely.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Yankomaniac wrote:Yeah, I feel too if they were to play a medley of parodies it would most likely be the concert only non album tracks. It has been a long time so it is likely.
God, that'd be awesome. I find myself singing songs like Theme from Home Improvement, Fast Food, Laundry Day, and It's Still Billy Joel to Me even though they were never released and some haven't been performed since before I was born.

Any new concert-only parodies would be crazy cool as well, though I'm not holding my breath, and I certainly won't be disappointed if it is indeed all originals/unplugged big hits.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I have a strong feeling it will be an unplugged medley of Al's biggest hits at the end. Some joke about "okay you sat through all those songs, so here are some you've actually heard of." It will be similar to the unplugged medley during the last tour, except it will include several more big hits.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

TMBJon wrote:I have a strong feeling it will be an unplugged medley of Al's biggest hits at the end. Some joke about "okay you sat through all those songs, so here are some you've actually heard of." It will be similar to the unplugged medley during the last tour, except it will include several more big hits.
I've been torn between whether it would be an updated acoustic medley, or if it would be a normal medley (but with more popular songs). I'm leaning toward acoustic, but I guess we'll have to wait and see!
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
SophieT
Occasional

Post by SophieT »

Yankomaniac wrote:Yeah, I feel too if they were to play a medley of parodies it would most likely be the concert only non album tracks. It has been a long time so it is likely.
I heard Al say in an interview, how it was a pet peeve of his that his originals don't get the attention the parodies do.
I've been on an absolute roll, listening to all of his albums this winter.
His originals have such amazing music. His song writing skills in every genre are incredible. I feel like I want to pay tribute to him by focusing on honoring his body of original works. His parodies have dominated his career for over 30 years, how wonderful it would be for him, if his genius at musical composition was recognized and he didn't have to fall back on other people's music at all this time.
I don't know, it just seems that over 30 years in, it would be such a validating gesture to his ability to write such great music.