Squeeze Box: The Complete Works of "Weird Al" Yankovic

Moderator: Moderators

drewdy9999
Regular

Re: Squeeze Box - compleat Al box set coming November 24, 20

Post by drewdy9999 »

Pac-Man hype!!!

Personally, I'd like to see the Brain Song from Al's Brain in 3D. It's incredibly catchy and pretty rare - I've only ever seen one recording of it floating around YouTube, and while it's decent enough quality to make out all the lyrics, it would be great to hear the song in its original proper form.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

weird user wrote: EDIT TO ADD: There's a few songs, in addition to Yoda, that sound significantly different in concert than they do on the albums (like Gump and Jerry Springer both having instrumental beginnings, in addition to the latter being sung slowly, and Like a Surgeon's music being completely different during the "Reuben in a cone bra" era), maybe those versions could be included (with audio taken from There's No Going Home, Weird Al Yankovic Live, or The Alpacolypse Tour). When I saw Al do Albuquerque live, there were longer verses, though the live version hasn't been in any live specials or videos so there might not be recordings of that.
I also would love if he would do a studio version of the new "Unplugged" versions of his classic parodies from the last tour.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

mrmeadows wrote:
weird user wrote: EDIT TO ADD: There's a few songs, in addition to Yoda, that sound significantly different in concert than they do on the albums (like Gump and Jerry Springer both having instrumental beginnings, in addition to the latter being sung slowly, and Like a Surgeon's music being completely different during the "Reuben in a cone bra" era), maybe those versions could be included (with audio taken from There's No Going Home, Weird Al Yankovic Live, or The Alpacolypse Tour). When I saw Al do Albuquerque live, there were longer verses, though the live version hasn't been in any live specials or videos so there might not be recordings of that.
I also would love if he would do a studio version of the new "Unplugged" versions of his classic parodies from the last tour.
There is a pretty good studio recording done (while not 100% official). It was done by Sirius XM, but you would think there had to have been recordings done back in the early 2000's when they made the MTV ad spot.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

I wonder if the AL-TV theme can be included. Anybody know whether Al wrote the theme music or performed in the recording?
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

weird user wrote:I wonder if the AL-TV theme can be included. Anybody know whether Al wrote the theme music or performed in the recording?
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Al who recorded the instrumental part of the Al TV intro, but if I'm not mistaken, it is just a polkafied version of the original MTV intro tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

weird user wrote:I wonder if the AL-TV theme can be included. Anybody know whether Al wrote the theme music or performed in the recording?
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Al who recorded the instrumental part of the Al TV intro, but if I'm not mistaken, it is just a polkafied version of the original MTV intro tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

I have a question regarding Free Delivery. Was it only written as a concert only song, or was it originally meant to be an album parody? I've always wondered if there was a studio version that existed out there, because it is arguably my favorite unreleased song of his.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I'm guessing Al asked Celine, sweet, sweet Celine when he was writing parodies for Running With Scissors, but was turned down. Al liked the idea enough to put it in the medley. Don't know if we ever got official word on this, though.
And Peggy
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I'd lean more towards the idea that he just never bothered to ask. I feel like, if it had been a full parody, he would've played the whole thing live. But as it is, it's just a verse and a chorus.

I'd love a studio version. In fact, I'm really hoping we get studio versions of some of these sorts of songs. Maybe even "Laundry Day" and "I'm in Luv Wit Da Skipper".
RyRyTheJewishGuy
Occasional

Post by RyRyTheJewishGuy »

Looks like the vinyls will have the cover art in the center of the records. At least according to the "I Think I'm a Clone Now" update I just watched on Pledge Music.