Squeeze Box: The Complete Works of "Weird Al" Yankovic

Moderator: Moderators

weird user
Addicted

Re: Squeeze Box - compleat Al box set coming November 24, 20

Post by weird user »

I've realized something: If this set sells enough to go gold (and I'm not sure what the chances of that happening are), then all of Al's albums will finally go gold. And if it doesn't, sales of this set could potentially add gold to some of Al's albums that still haven't gone gold, right? Or do those only count as gold if they are sold individually? Like, the set could be gold or platinum or higher, but the gold/platinum/whatever status for each album isn't affected in terms of individual releases (I hope what I'm pondering is written clearly).

It kinda makes me wonder if any of the albums that, to my knowledge, have not gone gold (Polka Party, UHF, Poodle Hat, Albacolypse, and Mandatory Fun) will before this set comes out (I could see either of the last two going gold by then, I'll be more surprised if the earlier ones do).

This would be a good time for Al to put out an updated DVD/Blu-ray release of all his music videos, as a companion piece to this set.
Yankopunk
Addicted

Post by Yankopunk »

stardrop wrote: One of the comment(I assume it's by a staff) says, there will be two shipments. One for the box, and the 2nd shipment with the bonus items.
That's what I thought. Thank you! :)
anthontherun wrote: As I've said before, the content of the bonus disc is what determines whether this is an immediate must-have purchase (or Christmas gift, hint hint Mom and Dad) or something I can wait for, but I'd be hesitant of pre-ordering from Pledge Music for these reasons as well. It will inevitably be available for less on Amazon and I've heard plenty of stories of folks who supported a project on Pledge Music getting their merchandise weeks after the general release. Not saying that will be the case here, and it's probably just a worst case scenario sort of thing, but it's happened before. So I'm holding off on ordering.
Is it a given that this will be available at Amazon, Best Buy, etc.? What I read was confusing: they said there would be a very limited amount of copies available for purchase after release date. They didn't say where, though. Could it be a PledgeMusic exclusive? I've been looking around for possible SKUs and pre-order links at various retailers, and so far there's nothing.

I figured I might as well take the hit already and order (plus, had a credit card that still had nearly a year of no interest on it, so I'll have this purchase paid off fairly quickly). Many of my Al tapes and CDs have been lost or damaged over the years, so it'll be nice to have the complete set again and in the best quality.

We really need an updated anthology of Al's videos on Blu-Ray, too. I know some may have only been shot on standard video and not film or HD video, but it would be nice to have them all in 1080p (upscaled from standard when applicable) with lossless sound (both surround and stereo mixes would be awesome!).
The greatest thing a human being can do is make another person happy. If I can ever help do that for you, just let me know!
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I want a video collection with commentary!

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Yankopunk wrote:Is it a given that this will be available at Amazon, Best Buy, etc.? What I read was confusing: they said there would be a very limited amount of copies available for purchase after release date. They didn't say where, though. Could it be a PledgeMusic exclusive? I've been looking around for possible SKUs and pre-order links at various retailers, and so far there's nothing.
I wouldn't be surprised if the mass market edition dispensed with the accordion packaging and just included the CDs/vinyl and the book (which I would be totally fine with). But I doubt they would have remastered the entire catalog (not to mention essentially held the bonus disc hostage for fans to shell out hundreds of dollars) for a limited campaign.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

weird user wrote:I've realized something: If this set sells enough to go gold (and I'm not sure what the chances of that happening are), then all of Al's albums will finally go gold. And if it doesn't, sales of this set could potentially add gold to some of Al's albums that still haven't gone gold, right? Or do those only count as gold if they are sold individually? Like, the set could be gold or platinum or higher, but the gold/platinum/whatever status for each album isn't affected in terms of individual releases (I hope what I'm pondering is written clearly).

It kinda makes me wonder if any of the albums that, to my knowledge, have not gone gold (Polka Party, UHF, Poodle Hat, Albacolypse, and Mandatory Fun) will before this set comes out (I could see either of the last two going gold by then, I'll be more surprised if the earlier ones do).

This would be a good time for Al to put out an updated DVD/Blu-ray release of all his music videos, as a companion piece to this set.
If I remember correctly, the RIAA certifies albums based on discs/records shipped. This means that a double album would need to sell 500,000 in order to go platinum, as 500,000 shipments x 2 discs = 1,000,000 discs shipped. Consequently, in order for Squeeze Box to go gold, it would need to ship a little over 33,000 copies (33,333 shipments x 15 discs/records = 500,000 discs/records shipped). Is that doable? I don't know (while the Beatles did it with the 2009 box set, something tells me that it is unlikely for Al). Maybe. But if it were to happen, I think that would mean Squeeze Box would be certified Gold, and not the individual albums. Then again, I could be wrong here.
Yankopunk
Addicted

Post by Yankopunk »

minnick27 wrote:I want a video collection with commentary!
Definitely! I loved Al's UHF commentary. He always has just about every bit of information one would want.

"We filmed this at (exact street address) on (date)" and so on. I love all the little tidbits.
anthontherun wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if the mass market edition dispensed with the accordion packaging and just included the CDs/vinyl and the book (which I would be totally fine with). But I doubt they would have remastered the entire catalog (not to mention essentially held the bonus disc hostage for fans to shell out hundreds of dollars) for a limited campaign.
I think you're right. It'll probably just come in a plain box set (maybe using the artwork on the poster / end of the accordion with the polka dots and Al). I doubt they'll do individual remastered releases, but at least they'd be in a mass market set.
The greatest thing a human being can do is make another person happy. If I can ever help do that for you, just let me know!
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

I'm really wondering if these albums will all have their original liner notes that were originally printed. I've wanted to see what the pictures and lyrics were to most of the albums released before Off The Deep End.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
catladyleeann
Regular

Post by catladyleeann »

OneWAY wrote:Here's a question: does the pre-order charge your card before it ships?
I pre-ordered yesterday and the money had gone bye-bye from my account by this morning.
Well, this is it. This IS the last minute!
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

QuantumError wrote:I'm really wondering if these albums will all have their original liner notes that were originally printed. I've wanted to see what the pictures and lyrics were to most of the albums released before Off The Deep End.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd love for all the albums to have super-deluxe liner notes with even more info than what was originally included.
ajv2001
Occasional

Post by ajv2001 »

I just had a crazy idea

What if they remastered (or even re-recorded) Dr. D. SuperStar for Medium Rarities?!
5/13/12-Waterbury, CT
10/6/13-Northampton, MA
6/6/15-Mashantucket, CT 8PM
7/30/15-Port Chester, NY
9/18/16-Waterbury, CT
9/16/17-Providence, RI [UHF]
3/2/18-Mashantucket, CT
3/4/18-Boston, MA
~Strings Attached '19~
yankovic.weebly.com