Snyth Loops etc

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

bryce87
Obsessed

Snyth Loops etc

Post by bryce87 »

Does anyone on here know how and where Al finds the synth or loop parts to make his parodies sound very identical to the real song? In pro tools I can create midi loops that have the same notes but I can't find a similar sound. I've tried going through pro tools plugins Reason instruments and can't find half of What Al uses. I know him and his band make most of the sounds from scratch but in order to do that he would have to know where to begin to create it. I also know that filtering and effects can be used to turn one synth into a different sound but as far as how he knows what to do I'm lost.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: Snyth Loops etc

Post by minnick27 »

They are just very good. I believe in an interview with Jim he said he has gone so far as to use the same pick ups and amp that an artist has used, so I assume that occasionally they talk to the original artist.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
bryce87
Obsessed

Post by bryce87 »

What about the Midi sounds? Like for example the synths you hear in white and nerdy? Did Al use the exact same ones? I've seen people somehow be able to create them in pro tools with just the stock plugins which baffles me how they do it.
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

That's a question for Jim, he did all of the sound design (and I did all of the drum programming) on the last 3 singles and a few other tracks. It's really just a matter of either recognizing the sound and where it comes from, or simply knowing how to (re)create it. Both talents are the result of experience, and acute meticulosity™.

Bermuda
bryce87
Obsessed

Post by bryce87 »

Thanks Bermuda,

I'll ask Jim if he has any tips, I'd love to learn more about how to do this as I'm into recording. :)