Weird Al: The Book

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Re: Weird Al: The Book

Post by Wizzerkat »

crazygurl14 wrote: The writing was really well done which I assume its because the writer himself is a weird al fan and he did his research very well. I'd say overall, this was quite enjoyable.
Yea, Rabin is a big Al fan from way back it would appear. He wrote the "Why Weird Al should be in the Rock Hall" thing in the Essentials CD I believe..
Is my dude a dweeb?
i_love_yankovic
Obsessed

Post by i_love_yankovic »

I pre-ordered 3 copies ages ago, two as gifts were shipped to the USA and they have arrived at their destinations (yay!) - but my copy destined for Australia has an estimated arrival date of November 18th - lol. :wacko: Hey, at least it's something to look forward to!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Word from the merch table last night: Although "When I Grow Up" is available at shows, "Weird Al: The Book" will NOT be. So if you're going to a show and have hopes of maybe possibly saying hi to Al, patronize your local bookseller or mammoth online marketing apparatus beforehand.
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

That's good to know (information-wise, I mean). Thanks.
Orthography Enthusiast wrote:Word from the merch table last night: Although "When I Grow Up" is available at shows, "Weird Al: The Book" will NOT be.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Hmm, that's weird. That it would change in a month. Thanks for the word, though, Helen.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

She said they talked about it, and decided not to. I'm wondering if it might be b/c sales through normal book channels count toward Al's sales numbers, but sales through Al's merch operation don't?
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

But I would imagine that Al gets a higher percentage of the profits off of direct sales. I can see the cost of lugging it around, higher price point than "When I Grow Up" plus the space of the book on the merch table and the truck being a reason to not want to sell it there
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Wizzerkat wrote:Yea, Rabin is a big Al fan from way back it would appear. He wrote the "Why Weird Al should be in the Rock Hall" thing in the Essentials CD I believe..
Actually, it was Stephen Thompson who wrote "The Essentials" liner notes, but both Thompson and Rabin write for The Onion AV Club so one can see the confusion.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Maybe they aren't selling it at his concerts because it's not actually a book BY Al, merely one about him. The proceeds that would go to Nathan Rabin would not get to him if they were sold at the concerts.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Now that is a plausible reason indeed. Al wouldn't want to stiff Nathan.