The Weirdness of Al

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Re: The Weirdness of Al

Post by algonacchick »

I think Al is pretty normal and well grounded. Yes, he has a twisted sense of humor, but I'm sure there's plenty of other sane people that do as well. I'm sure it gets old when a few interviewers expect him to act weird just because of the nickname. I think that now, more interviewers realize he really isn't all that weird, which always makes for a better interview.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Well, Well, Well wrote:i honestly think he needs to change his hair. it's gotten old.
Heresy! :onfire:

Al likes his hair, Suzanne likes his hair, we like his hair (except you)... I hope Al doesn't abandon his long curly locks unless the long curly locks abandon him.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

The Weirdness of Al

Post by minnick27 »

Well he did consider cutting his hair around the time he directed the River video for Hanson, until he was reminded that his actual hair would not look like the wig
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

If Al were to cut his hair short, it would be at least the equivalent of when he grew it out, got LASIK, and shaved his moustache. When he did that, he frequently commented to the media something like "if Madonna can change her look every five seconds, I can change mine every 20 years or so." Thus, if he were to do this in five years or so it wouldn't be totally unexpected. It would also get a lot of really groan-worthy press about how he is becoming "Normal Al" and that he's officially too old. If/when Al ever does this, I think it would signify that he is entering the final stage of his career. As Helen said, let's hope he keeps his hair as long as he's physically able.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Post by crazygurl14 »

But if he were to cut his hair again it would probably go back to fro-like hair and they might say he is trying to go back to his Eat It days and not that he is getting old
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

minnick27 wrote:I'd say he is normal as anyone else, he just has a goofy job, and people always expect him to be on. And for years he played up to that, but in the last few years he has been himself. And i think it's a good thing. People have this perception of him that is nowhere near what he actually is. I wouldn't go so far as to say Weird Al is a character, but the Al we meet after the show is the true Al
This is how I feel too... but to some extent I think he is always "on" anywhere in public. He knows innately what people like Bjork, the Gallaghers of Oasis and others who have lost the plot in public etc had to learn the hard way, that the only truly private moments are behind closed doors at home
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

I find that most people who are considered "weird" are some of the most insightful and intelligent people out there, and Al is no exception.

edit: And I mean "cool weird" not "creepy weird."
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

weirdojace wrote:edit: And I mean "cool weird" not "creepy weird."
Haha, yes, this is an important distinction! But I agree. All seems to really understand what's going on. He's a smart dude, no doubt about that! :)
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

I know I'm a bit late on this topic, but I was really busy when it came out and was unable to give my response an adequate amount of thought. Anyway, having just reviewed the definition for "weird" in the dictionary, I would echo what pretty much everyone else said (OK, I know that's being redundant, but the forum is pretty slow right now and we're trying to revive it, right?) and would say he isn't weird outside of his onstage persona. The first Al-Music special is when I really first got to know his comedy style beyond singing parodies, and even with the persona on full-blast, I always sensed that he was completely in on the joke, if you know what I mean. Even without meeting him in person, I could somehow sense the sanity beneath. Of course, anyone who visits this forum is obviously a fan of comedy, so our answers might be a bit different than if the same question were posed to a forum full of comedy haters or snobs who think this type of comedy is beneath them. But yeah, basically, I think Al gave the perfect answer to your question. We all have our quirks, he wears his like a badge of honor, and the "Weird" handle is a great (he actually said adequate, but I think it's great) descriptor of his onstage persona. As he has said in other interviews, to keep that persona going 24 hours a day would be exhausting! But obviously he is very intelligent and that part of his personality does not seem to require much extra fuel. Like, I would never have sat around solving algebra problems for "fun" as a child, but hey, whatever floats your boat! That's what I love about him. He is unique. But Weird Al just sounds a lot funnier than Unique Al.

By the way, this topic reminded me that I used to wear a purple button to school in the mid-'80's (we all had jeans jackets filled with little pins, or buttons, in those days) that said, "Why Be Normal?" It was my favorite one. Yet I considered myself normal. To me, it just meant, "Don't conform: embrace your uniqueness!" Mind you, I wasn't brave enough to make all my unique quirks and interests public at that time, but I was certainly brave enough to make that overall declaration. I've always admired Al for waving his nerd flag high.

I love discussion-y topics like this! Wish I could come up with a new one for the forum.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein