Fan Relationships with Al and the Band

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: Fan Relationships with Al and the Band

Post by TMBJon »

Why is there suddenly so much pro-Jeremy blowback on this thread? If you are so conflict-averse and you don't want to be part of it, then stay out of this thread. As Anth has eloquently stated, this topic has to exist or else it will spill out into the other topics. I don't see why there's anything wrong with WWW making a post after not having a chance to say anything on the topic earlier. People should be free to come in and state their thoughts on this topic without being shunned. I feel like there is a contingency on the forum who loves to sweep all drama under the rug and ignore it, which only leads to the sort of escalated dialogue that led to this topic's creation in the first place. It's important to have a place where people can speak their mind on this topic - a sensitive one for many of us - so that it does not come out as passive-aggressive cheap shots all around the forum.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

the issues with jeremy are not really so personal, are they? i don't have anything against him - personally - but as i see it the problem is his constant misrepresentation of his relationship with the band, such that it has put a strain on how the band handles the meet and greets. i'm not really sure what sparked this thread, as something seems to be cut off at the beginning from a merge and/or i can't be bothered to watch that whole video. so maybe i am tugging at the strings of a different argument. but in terms of argumentation skills, when i see
You all are freaking insane...I mean, seriously?? It's really getting old and cluttering up this forum with complete non-sense. Honestly, it's gotten completely udderly ridiculous. As much as you idiots want there to be, or think there should be, or whatever the hell, something there...there's not. You all just keep proving what complete retards you are.
and
Ugghh, what do you not understand about this, you idiot.
put forth as a defense i cringe. having just taught a lesson on logical fallacies, i see jeremy's arguments and statements as terrible (in the sense that they are too obvious) examples of ad hominem, wishful thinking, begging the question, red herring, and some others in poorly constructed form. if jeremy is going to publicly say things about his relationship with the band, he is really making an argument that can be - and if fallacious enough - should be addressed.

push it under the rug if you want, i guess. based on the (what i consider credible) stories i've heard from (who i consider credible) sources about the 'relationship' between jeremy and the band, pushing the whole thing under the rug is the norm - even for the band. but this seems to be giving jeremy growing reason to believe the things that he says, which is dangerous, annoying to onlookers, and a joke that has been over-told and under-addressed from solid ground.
taste is only something if it is yours.
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

I'm done discussing this topic. It's up to others if they'd like to continue it, and if they do...hey, it's fine. I want to thank those few that can understand what I've said, and have defended me here. I also would like to make it known that Anth contacted me before making this topic and I agreed to it, so it deserves its place here. I'm just glad that there's one single topic that encompasses this, so that regular topics...like the case from the AOTS...doesn't get cluttered up with non-sense. So...have at it.
Vargas Chick
Occasional

Post by Vargas Chick »

ok. I didn't understand, but I get it now. This topic is not about OUR own fan relationships with Al and the Band. The topic is about Jeremy aka Alinite27's behavior with Al and the Band, and his postings here.

I'm not defending Jeremy. And, I'm not saying that things should be swept under the rug. I just felt that things should be handled more privately, but Jeremy knew it was about him and he agreed to this topic.

So...I'm out of here.
Sometimes, stuff happens.
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Well...it kind of is a two-fold deal. If those who have the problems could sweep them under the proverbial rug, then it can become a topic about our own relationships with Al and the Band. However, for those who can't, it's their place to vent as to not clutter up other forum topics. It's just kind of a topic to hold everything.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Alinite27 wrote:Well...it kind of is a two-fold deal. If those who have the problems could sweep them under the proverbial rug, then it can become a topic about our own relationships with Al and the Band. However, for those who can't, it's their place to vent as to not clutter up other forum topics. It's just kind of a topic to hold everything.
So you're in favor of sweeping the problem under the rug?
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Fan Relationships with Al and the Band

Post by minnick27 »

I feel we can turn this into a positive thread about our own relationships. If we want a Jeremy fight thread make it forums relationships with Jeremy.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Yeah, I've been in favor of that since day one. However, others keep on insulting me over little points. But, I'm done worrying about how others take it. Either they can forget, or put their qualms here.

I agree Mike. I'm hoping we can turn this into that, as I think it can be an interesting topic.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

TMBJon wrote:So you're in favor of sweeping the problem under the rug?
Alinite27 wrote:Yeah, I've been in favor of that since day one.
You are aware of what "sweeping it under the rug" means, right?

Here are some definitions I found through a Google search:
"to conceal something in the hopes it won't be discovered by others"
"to try to hide a problem or keep a problem secret instead of dealing with it"
"to hide something embarrassing"

I do agree that this is what you're doing, but I am surprised you're freely admitting it.
DrSteggy
Off The Deep End
Awards: Winner, Survivor All Stars

Post by DrSteggy »

I've been reading this thread, and I guess I am not really sure what the point of it is.

Clearly, not everyone on this forum gets along with everyone else. I have three people here that I don't care for--mostly because they chose to take a disagreement they had with someone else on the forum out on me. I have tried to deal with all of them directly, at the time the incidents occured. None of them chose to respond back, so all of them are on my ignore list, and I don't even see them post, if they still do. While there was public sniping going on with at least two of these people (and it can be found if you know what you're looking for) it was not something I responded to, and so did not invovle the entiore forum in my drama (and for me, there was some pretty high drama with one person.)

I don't really see the point of dragging the ENTIRE forum into this fray. Some people find whatever Jeremy does objectionable. They have stated this OVER AND OVER. Jeremy is aware of it, and it is not going to change whatever the objectional behavior is. So--you can keep doing the same thing over and hope for a different result, or, at some point you can just say "This is pointless behavior for me to engage as it does not solve my issue" and stop it.

Frankly, if I were Jeremy, and truly felt I was being persecuted by members of this forum, I would put the offenders on ignore, and go on with my day. If I were really offended by Jeremy's behaviors, I would put him on ignore and go about my day. In the long run, I feel it is probably unlikely that if the band does consider Jeremy objectionable, its going to be an issue for most of us.

IF there is no resolution to this (Jeremy's behavior won't change to satisfy people, and they won't stop bringin it up) ceasing to discuss it is not sweeping it under the rug. Everyone knows it is there, however, no one is going to change either. If you want to use a cliche, perhaps you should consider "beating a dead horse."

FWIW, I agree there is a fine line to tread when you're a big fan, especially when it is to the point where the object of your fandom is aware of you. Some people walk that line well, and others cross it. I think that while it is admirable of the fan community to warn when a cross may occur, it is ultimately each individual's rsponsibility to not cross "the line." Its pointless and annoying to continue to publicly discuss the behavior if the party you are talking to does not beleive you or chooses to not take your advice--you've done your part of the job. And people have certainly gone from friend of the band to exiled before, and I am sure they will again. Its not really our job to continue to warn, unless there is some sort of enforceable consequence.

Just my two pence. I'm back to lurk.
"Positioning is everything in life." A. de La Hunta