Fan Relationships with Al and the Band

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

LiL_Weirdo2782

Re: Fan Relationships with Al and the Band

Post by LiL_Weirdo2782 »

Reasonable expectations...
This topic is partial to why I am back in this forum, to connect with everyone including Al and the band.
Internet and social networking: Expect lots of articles and interviews, old and new. Don't expect return mail from Al. You are lucky....REALLY lucky if you receive an RT or get through on the airport payphone. The band: Reuben's mostly quiet. Steve and Jim are die hard busy so they haven't really replied. Jim hasn't added anyone as a friend since myspace. Bermuda is in his own category. He'll friend you and write you when he has the time. But, don't send long mail, don't tag him in posts, and if you should write on his wall please keep in mind to post extremely relevant towards him. They don't do poke and they don't play games like we do. For shows, if you don't have a pass, it's best to wait side stage where the V.I.P's are because that is where they will call back "the no pass line" and it doesn't happen every show. Al and the guys are a great bunch, but after you say hello it's best to let them lead the conversation if you can't find a topic. I've talked with them online and at shows and seeking advice from them is a very limited category especially with Bermuda. I say all this in positivity, figurative love, and grace.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

The band is really cool about adding people on facebook. They've all added me and I've had conversations with all of them. Steve is also really cool about talking to fans after the shows and obviously so is Al if you ever get the chance. This is all from personal experience.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Post by crazygurl14 »

The only band member who hasn't added me on facebook is Bermuda. I have never tried to have a conversation with them, I don't want to bother them but I just like seeing their updates
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

I think I was friends with Bermuda for a while, but then something happened, and I never bothered to figure out what.

The band is really great, Jim and I have the same birth month/day, so we always share a friendly post on each others' wall.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

One thing about being Facebook friends with Bermuda, he sure changes his cover photo a lot! Several times a day! :mrt:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
LiL_Weirdo2782

Post by LiL_Weirdo2782 »

Yes Al and the band are very cool people. :good: With exception of Reuben, I had the entire group on Myspace. Then either friended or followed everyone on Facebook except Reuben. He's the most insanely busy of the bunch besides Bermuda and Al. Facebook has a habit of dumping people. If any one of them have an issue with you on Facebook, they usually let you know. At times in rather odd ways. Like being ignored for sending repetitiously long mail that when you're typing one thought leads to some huge long story that Bermuda isn't really into. I believe with some band members, I'm trying to hard to have them add me, while the more laid back members it just happens. However, from the reading, the traveling, backstage visits I do understand and comprehend each member as a person and almost as a musician. Still zoning in on some key points though. Just to clarify, my habits bug people pending on the person. Sometimes not one word is said towards this and that is my major extravagant pet peeve: Ignoring and not saying what is wrong and/or why it's wrong. I still haven't found the correct topics to discuss around Bermuda. All I was told was to keep it brief and between relevant and extremely relevant. And when it got this long....the words STOP and period were in big letters. When realization kicks in, so do your emotions and un dramatic, that's at the point where tears start flowing. They intermitantly come back on different days via songs, remembering your mistake constantly, wishing you could fix it, wishing they read your wall so like in person they would hear you say "I'm really sorry, that was wrong of me to do , and please forgive me." But 9 out of 10 times drama and desperation are carried across to them as your intentions.<---When that isn't the case of what you meant at all. Sorry this came out lengthy. And you only fail if you don't try. In regards to starting a conversation or adding someone. Another downer is the tour isn't coming to my side of the state this year....as of yet. The music rocks, but what I'd rather happen is to just sit back and visit with them.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

What?
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Post by crazygurl14 »

I just gave up on trying to friend request Bermuda. Occasionally I will send another to see if anything will happen. I know he is busy and probably gets lots of requests everyday and maybe it gets lost in the shuffle. Then I figured maybe he doesn't add a lot of fans but I have looked at what pictures I can on his page and he does have some good ones of course. Maybe he will eventually. Until then, I'll enjoy the many intresting updates of Jim and Reuben. :peace:
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
NH Weird Al Fan
Addicted

Post by NH Weird Al Fan »

I think we have to look at the Facebook and MySpace thing sort of in the same way as we do the meet & greets after a concert. These guys are BUSY professional musicians, and don't have the time to read and respond to all of the messages, posts, and friend requests they get. If they do accept your friend request, all that means is that you are allowed to see their photos and status updates. Being "friends" on FB doesn't equate to having a personal relationship with them.

If you do send a message or post on their page, as LiL_Weirdo2782 said, keep it BRIEF and RELEVANT. If you're lucky enough to get a response, it may not be for a few days or weeks because they are busy. Also, everything shouldn't be about Al all the time... these guys have their own musical projects, too.

I have been Facebook friends with Jim, Bermuda, Steve, and Rubén (please note the correct spelling!) for a couple of years, and I have definitely noticed some changes in the way each of them uses FB. They have each adjusted their settings, in one way or another, for whether can people can post on their page, or tag them in photos, and some seem to have cut down on accepting friend requests. My guess is that they couldn't keep up with the hundreds of photo tags, posts, and friend requests that would pop up after every concert. I don't blame them. Rubén even deleted a lot of FB friends because he was getting too many app invitations all the time.
8/11/07 Beverly
7/15/08 & 6/26/10 Gilford
8/22/10 Ventura
10/15/11 Boston
5/10/12 Lowell
10/19/12 Beverly
6/7/13 Lebanon
6/8/13 Keene
10/5/13 Hampton
6/4/15 Concord
6/6/15 Foxwoods
8/4/15 NewBedford
9/1/16 Lowell
9/2/16 Gilford
9/14/16 Providence
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

What Jacinta said really. Keep it short and relevant (ie about music etc). Most men cant stand long emotional rambling stream of consciousness messages particularly from people they don't know really really well, and my guess is the band members are no exception. If you think someone has a problem with you, just back the hell off.
You may have caught them on a bad day and that's just bad luck. Dont try to force it or ask for explanations, chances are they wont even remember whatever it is that you think they said or did anyway, so, least said, soonest mended. Remember what might seem a big deal to you they might not even be aware of and they're not going to enjoy people making a big deal out of it.
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015