Fan Relationships with Al and the Band

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Re: Fan Relationships with Al and the Band

Post by weirdojace »

I've been to 3 Weird Al concerts on three different tours. I'm generally very quick to buy CDs, DVDs, and songs that Al puts out. I collaborated on a tribute album full of Al fans who are also wonderfully talented musicians, which raised a bit of money for the Star Fund and Make the Rock Hall Weird. And I'm sure if it weren't for Al, I wouldn't be in a band and trying to make a living doing music. Al has also acknowledged my existence even though I've never met him face to face.

And I never, in any way, try to claim that I'm a bigger or better Weird Al fan than anyone else. Al was my biggest childhood hero and musical inspiration, and I'll always be loyal and supportive.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Ive been to 25 shows and met Al 12 times, and almost every time he asks me my name. The last time in Allentown he didnt ask, but he knew from the night before when I told him I was bringing the 4 track the next night, so he may finally be remembering me. Until next time at least. Jon has always been extremely nice to me, as he is to everyone, he even approached me when I was parking my car in Allentown, so that was nice, like Im in his circle now. Ruben was kind enough to make a demo of music for my wedding, even though it didnt get used. I got to thank him personally recently. Steve passed on a hello to me through Nancy after the Cleveland show. And Jim was always difficult for me to meet, until the Red Bank, house show, Allentown grouping, but he seems to know me now.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

i think the problem with this jeremy character is that the band, true to their reputation, is too nice. as far as i am concerned, until the band comes out and says something directly to jeremy about the wrongness of his actions - or does something to stop it - there is no reason for him to stop or even question those actions. perhaps it is that the band actually likes having the crazed fan(s) that they can roll their eyes at, as it really is the calling card of what makes a band/artist a bona fide success.

most of what he is says just ridiculous, and should be ignored in a troll-like fashion. i am intrigued, though, by the idea of people being jealous of the tour chasing, and if i had the time i might conduct surveys and write a thesis on whether or not everybody is just massively jealous of his ability to get so close to the band again and again and again, and his getting away with saying some of the things that he does about their so-called relationship. it might also be interesting to know how much money this guy spends on merchandise and all that, because maybe that is the reason the band does not say anything to him: "the customer is always right," said in a blatantly sarcastic tone.

this is all stupid, and someone needs to step up and make a stand. whether that be someone from the band limiting jeremy's access (and NOT the entire fan base's access), or a moderator on this board actually doing something about the petty name-calling and the personal attacks (on both sides), i'd like to see one of them take place.

on a personal note: jeremy, i'm sorry to address the issue as if you weren't here, but you MUST, by now, get the feeling that the majority of the message board community does not want you around. moreover, i have heard numerous stories from third-, fourth- or fifth-party sources (who generally take issue with your actions) about how the band does not want you around either. but i can't comment on how serious those back-handed remarks are. the weird thing is that, although you are probably the one to have a better idea, i do not trust your interpretation of any situation which you are personally involved in.

nobody is coming to your defense on this board, and those fighting against you are of high stature, which means something - and you should consider what that means on a deep level.
taste is only something if it is yours.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Fan Relationships with Al and the Band

Post by minnick27 »

I thought we were past the Jeremy bashing on here! We've all heard both sides of the argument. I've been on both sides of it. I won't say there is jealousy to the point of hating him, just some things that he says rub people the wrong way. And that's fine, he's entitled to his opinion, however wrong some of us think it is. And if you look at my history with Jeremy you'll see we haven't always been friends. He says something to tick me off, I yell about it an it's done. I've seen Jeremy in person probably a dozen times since 2008 and we've always talked, aside from the night at the Keswick in May, but that was right after the fights we were having. So I ask that we all stop, especially on the forums birthday. Let's just talk about our personal relationships with the band
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

WWW's post had (probably) part truth, part bashing in it. My main opinion is this: NONE of us has any real relationship with the band beyond being a fan. Unless Al invites you for tea or something, you're probably not a real "Close Personal Friend of Al." Al and the band really don't keep count of anything I suspect as far as how many shows anyone goes to or anything else. As Al has said, when the bus pulls in, he gets off :) There is no "better" or "best" fan. Well, those of us who get his stuff legally are better than those who don't :)
Is my dude a dweeb?
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

we must draw the line somewhere.
taste is only something if it is yours.
Vargas Chick
Occasional

Post by Vargas Chick »

I want to be able to read the good and positive things that are going on with all of us, Al and the Band, and these public disagreements kind of take that away.
Last edited by Vargas Chick on Sat May 04, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, stuff happens.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

What she said. And we seem to somehow have this idea that we're having these squabbles unobserved, nobody here but us frogs. When in reality anything we say may very well be read by Bermuda or even Al. Would any of us indulge in a slanging match while standing in line next to the band bus? Didn't think so.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Thats what I was trying to say earlier in the thread. I mean c'amon, we all got cell phones. Let's just get real here.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I have to agree with Vargas Chick here, and I really wish I would have kept my mouth shut earlier in this dispute. Speaking to the whole fandom debate, I don't think there's really such thing as a "good" or "bad" fan, and it seems like a very subjective standard to try to judge someone by. As to Jeremy, it's obvious a lot of people on here have problems with him, but these are private disputes and should be kept private. The talk about Al and the Band supposedly not liking him seems unnecessary to air out in public, especially since as far as I can tell, this is all second and third-hand information, and we all know how things can get twisted and misconstrued while being communicated from person to person. I say we all need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and try to move forward.