Fan Relationships with Al and the Band

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Re: Fan Relationships with Al and the Band

Post by Wizzerkat »

The last two paragraphs above are good reading. Please consider it. In the bitter end, if the band thinks there is a problem, they will handle it.
Is my dude a dweeb?
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

So to those people who don't want to see others beat a dead horse, do we not see a problem with an individual overstating their relationship with the band? then is it okay when they are called out on it (or asked to address it from a logical standpoint, ideally without name-calling) to respond simply by saying "whatever, you guys are idiots, think what you want." ? if it is admirable to help a person see when they might be crossing the line, what then is the criteria for what is enough 'help' in getting that person to see how they might be crossing the line? especially if that person is wholly unwilling to consider other fan's help.

maybe it does seem to jeremy that we are attacking him. but honestly, i would just like to help him be a better fan. i think it sucks (for everyone involved) if the band doesn't like him but then does nothing to make him aware of why they don't like him. as fans, i think that's what we are really trying to do - make him aware that he needs to take a step back. sometimes his responses are so agrivating that is easy to dismiss him and/or just get angry and roll your eyes.

rolling your eyes at someone is fun, and this has resulted in a number of great campfire-esque stories relative to his actions, but at a certain point it becomes old hat, and an annoyance that has effects beyond comedic ones when the band might be considering meet and greets based on one person's actions. i'm not sure what point we are at with jeremy and his actions, but i do not want to give up on him and just say he won't listen, and be satisfied. when i do a job, i like to do it right i guess.

we all know he is going to keep reading this thread because it is about him, even if he's "done discussing this topic." so this is everyone's chance to give him advice. i see everyone wanting to maybe give advice, but then saying "he won't listen," so let's not talk about it and turning any advice away from jeremy and towards vague statements that mean nothing to no one.
taste is only something if it is yours.
DrSteggy
Off The Deep End
Awards: Winner, Survivor All Stars

Post by DrSteggy »

Ok, I lied, I'm not lurking.

I guess I fail to see how Jeremy's issues affect me as a fan. They don't.

I have offered advice in the past to him on this forum...mostly by saying buying a ticket entitles you to the show, and not a meet n greet. I am pretty sure I have said that more than once.

Perhaps I am oh so slightly jaded, but my job is to make recommendation and give advice. I cannot force people to act upon this advice, no matter how persuasive I can be-in the end, I have to accept that people are going to listen to me, or they won't, and it is pretty pointless for me to care more about their situation then they do. All it is going to get me is an ulcer, and I have decided those are no fun.

Now, if all of you are just getting off on the eye rolling and petty BS, that's all fine, but be honest about what you're getting out of this. If you're really trying to make a better fan out of, that's great, but at some point you need to accept that he is going to take your advice and do what he wants, and unless he is hurting you some how, that is his right. I think it's stupid to make the entire forum listen to it all. The. Time. So decide on what your resolution is and move on already.
"Positioning is everything in life." A. de La Hunta
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Jackie has summed it up really well. Whatever cliche one wants to use...sweeping under the rug, beating a dead horse...I don't see a problem and no matter of advice is going to get me to change, whatever it is that I do that upsets some of you. So, really...can we just move on? PLEASE? I'm glad that it's just in one topic now, but it's really been dragging down the forum. Even when it is just in one topic.

Bottom line is, most, if not all, of the band has no problem with me. Nothing has affected meet and greets, no matter what second, third, or fourth hand advice has told you. They've done meets at shows I've been to. I always talk to most of the band. They're always happy to see me. I feel no need to discuss this any further with anyone on here.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Code: Select all

[comment that has since been taken to PM]
Last edited by TMBJon on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

if this topic was approved by jeremy with the intent of allowing people to take issue with his actions within the thread, i don't see a problem with continuing it. and the entire forum certainly doesn't need to listen to it. i suspect many people are already ignoring it. if you're ready to move on, move on. that doesn't mean everyone else needs to move on with you.
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Yeah...now we're going with the personal insults. Hahaha...ok. Whatever. I said my peace in my last post, and I'm not going to post any further...but I would appreciate to not be insulted. It doesn't do anyone, any good.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

what? who insulted you? (and i'm not being facetious in my questioning.)
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

That was my bad. Though I do not believe it was a personal insult at all, I decided my above post should be taken to PM, so I've been talking to Jeremy about it there.

Having said that, I do agree with WWW's comments that those who are tired of listening to this all. The. Time. are free not to read this thread. That's why it was created; otherwise, the petty BS would seep into many other topics.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Maybe we could steer the conversation more in the direction of "What can fans reasonably expect from Al and what are the boundaries that shouldn't be crossed both in interacting with and discussing him?" There's never gonna be a universal list that applies to everyone but there are at least some situations that I think most of us could agree on whether or not they're acceptable.

For the record, I honestly like Jeremy and I think he adds a lot to the community. That's not to say I think all of his actions have been entirely appropriate in the context of his Al fandom but I'm glad he's a part of WOWAY. Likewise, I really like Jon, Greg, Mike, WWW, etc. and what they add to the board. But again, that doesn't mean I'm crazy about them teasing Jeremy or harping on his behavior. There's absolutely no indication that Jeremy has reduced Al's or the band's tolerance/appreciation of the fans as a whole. But I think there is validity to saying, "You know, I can see why it'd be tempting, but unless Al or someone personally invites you, you shouldn't just step in and listen to the sound check" or finding frustration in posts that make Al fandom seem like a competition.

We're all Al fans here, and the relationship he has with us is way beyond what's expected of anyone in his position. And I think to some degree we all take that for granted. When I left the venue the night I saw the show, I was basically throwing myself a pity party because there was no meet-and-greet...then I stopped and reminded myself, "Um, I just saw an amazing concert and experienced two of the most exciting hours of my entire life. That's what I paid for, and I got more than my money's worth." I'm optimistic that I'll get a chance to meet Al sooner or later (hopefully more than once) and even if I never do, I can't help but love the guy for shaping my life probably more than anyone else outside my family.