San Luis Obispo Tour

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

San Luis Obispo Tour

Post by TMBJon »

Hey all, I am planning a road trip later this summer from my home in Santa Monica up the Pacific Coast Highway to San Francisco. Needless to say, this trip cuts in half almost perfectly in good old SLO Town and I am considering stopping there for my night over.
I was wondering if anyone else who has been through SLO extensively could give me some tips on things in town to see that are 1) historical to Weird Al's career, such as the radio studio where he worked and the bathroom where My Bologna was recorded, 2) places mentioned in Take Me Down that are worth stopping to see, 3) overall cool things to see in this area that have nothing to do with Weird Al.
Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, and in general this topic could be used as a place to document various places in San Luis Obispo that road tripping Weird Al fans should be sure to check out.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Kristine
Off The Deep End

Re: San Luis Obispo Tour

Post by Kristine »

You can drive through campus without any kind of pass or anything, and you can drive right by the radio station. I've passed it multiple times going to horse shows there.
like_im_27again
Obsessed

Post by like_im_27again »

Went there in 2003 while tour chasing with Dave Rossi. Met up with Helen and Bobbi, too--it's a great little town.
1) At Cal Poly we did visit the radio station where he worked. Someone was working in the station and let us come in and look around and chat for quite a while, and the bathroom where he recorded My Bologna is in the same hallway as the radio station, IIRC. We were also pointed toward a little campus pizza joint where Al used to perform live. Dave went into the campus bookstore and got a hat and t-shirt that said Cal Poly School of Architecture on it.
2)The bathrooms at the Madonna Inn were cool--their food's not bad either. Bubble Gum Alley was a lot of fun. The alley is in a part of SLO where it's really nice to park and walk around and look at the shops (but note the 5:00 closing time. :D )

Hearst Castlehttp://www.hearstcastle.org/ is awesome--I've been there several times and I highly recommend it. That's an investment of a few hours and more than a few dollars, but if you want to just drive up to their visitor center, there's a nice sort of mini-museum that gives you a lot of the history of the place, and that's free.

Morro Rock and Pismo Beach are nice, and you could easily drive through that area to see them.
like_im_27again
Obsessed

Post by like_im_27again »

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Thanks for the tips, Vikki. And wow, is that Jordan?!?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.