Weird Al and Significant Others

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Weird Al and Significant Others

Post by TMBJon »

Hey I just wanted to take a quick survey of people who have girlfriends/boyfriends or husbands/wives.

1) Does your significant other like Weird Al?
2) How important is your S.O.'s opinion of Weird Al (or any other music/comedy taste, for that matter) to your relationship?
3) If they don't like Weird Al, what have you done about it?
4) Any other stories about current/past significant others and your relationship with them as it pertains to liking/disliking Weird Al.

My current girlfriend of four years straight up does not like Weird Al, and it has always been a sticking point in our relationship as she frequently makes fun of me for listening to his music and talking about (obsessing over) Al all the time. Part of me says I should just ignore it and that opposites attract and I shouldn't care whether or not she and I share the same sense of humor or favorite music artists (we like most of the same bands, but she also hates TMBG and a few others of my favorites). Another part of me says that a girl who doesn't "get" why I like Weird Al so much probably doesn't "get" me as a person, or at least my sense of humor.
So I just thought I would appeal to the masses here and see what others' experiences have been.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Re: Weird Al and Significant Others

Post by Wizzerkat »

Yes, he does. He is not the huge fan I am, but he is a fan and is going with me to Rifftrax on the 16th and will go with me to the concert he eventually does here. He doesn't listen to Al every day like I do, though :)

2) How important is your S.O.'s opinion of Weird Al (or any other music/comedy taste, for that matter) to your relationship?

Well, part of the reason we got together at the start was our similar tastes in humor. I am not sure how it would have affected anything had we not had similar entertainment interests. I don't think it would be a sticking point unless they did something all of the time to undermine my opinions of whatever I liked.

4) Any other stories about current/past significant others and your relationship with them as it pertains to liking/disliking Weird Al.

Nothing about Al specifically, but for your story, honestly I would ask the GF not to make fun of you for your fandom because to me making fun of something an SO likes like I said above kind of undermines them as a person. If I were her, I would just not say anything about your fandom unless it gets in the way of the relationship. Anything that becomes more important than real life relationships is a problem.
Is my dude a dweeb?
Kristine
Off The Deep End

Post by Kristine »

I usually don't tell them right away... I think it might scare them off before they get to know me. When I do tell them, I usually start by asking if they know who he is, and then I'll tell them I'm kind of his unofficial but kinda official but not really concert photographer. That usually changes the subject to photography and gives the "Al" part time to sink in. lol.

The current man in my life isn't an Al fan, but doesn't dislike his stuff either. He's a fellow photographer, and thought it was pretty cool when I showed him photos of me posing with Al backstage. I don't know if I could date someone who couldn't appreciate Al's music (they don't have to love it, or even like it, just appreciate for what it is and not complain)... it's become way to integrated into my life to deal with that. Justin loves music and has a wide variety of music in his iTunes. He appreciates the musicality and humor of Al's work.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

You already know some of this, Jon, but I'll give you the run-down anyway.

No, he thinks Al is a sellout and that he's wasting his talent *at least he admits Al has talent*
Well, he will complain every so often about my obsession, but not so much that it is harming our relationship. We do enjoy a lot of the same kinds of music otherwise, and as you know, we're in a band together, so that helps out a lot.
3) If they don't like Weird Al, what have you done about it?
I listen to Al's music through headphones when hubby is in the room, but when he's not... :devil:
4) Any other stories about current/past significant others and your relationship with them as it pertains to liking/disliking Weird Al. Not really, since I've been married for 25 years, and have know my husband for 29 years. Any other folks I dated prior were from pre-rabid Al fangirl days.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

TMBJon wrote:1) Does your significant other like Weird Al?
Indeed she does. I introduced her to Al back in '06, shortly before we started going out. Since Al's such a big part of my life and who I am, I don't bother to hide my fandom from anybody, especially a girl I have a huge crush on. Once she heard a few songs, she was genuinely interested in his work and now considers herself a fan. Not to the extent that I'm a fan, by any means, but she definitely wants to come to a concert next time he tours Australia, and believes she'd be incredibly nervous to meet him.
TMBJon wrote:2) How important is your S.O.'s opinion of Weird Al (or any other music/comedy taste, for that matter) to your relationship?
We're remarkably compatible when it comes to music and comedy tastes. We might disagree on a few things, but nothing's ever been a big deal. Kathryn's opinion is pretty important to me, but if I like something she doesn't (or vice versa), it's a "Yeah, I don't really like that, but feel free to enjoy the hell out of it if you want" attitude between us.
TMBJon wrote:3) If they don't like Weird Al, what have you done about it?
I'd rather murder a blind orphan than date someone who openly and actively dislikes something/someone of which/whom I'm a huge fan.
TMBJon wrote:4) Any other stories about current/past significant others and your relationship with them as it pertains to liking/disliking Weird Al.
N/A really. Haven't exactly had a previous girlfriend and pretty much everything Weird Al-relevant to the relationship has been said.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Ahaha. Aha. AHAHAHHAHAHA. (That's me laughing at the thread, by the way, not at the post before mine).

I won't even attempt to answer the questions. I'll just point at the quote in my signature, regarding how lucky we are that we found each other.

In case anyone is still living inside a shoebox, the condensed version of the story is that I'm long-distance dating uwvark, who I met on this very forum, and who's the biggest Weird Al fan in the world, and the sweetest guy in the Universe. :inlove:
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
Jigawatt
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Moderator: 2010
Former Multi-Time Best Avatar (Non-Photo): 2003-2009
Best Avatar: 2015

Post by Jigawatt »

He's the reason we met/got married, so yeah!
If she for some reason decided tomorrow that she was denouncing her Al fandom, I think we'd survive. :P
One previous girlfriend started out not caring about him at all... I took her to one concert and converted her! One of the few positive memories from that relationship... :lol:

Adrian
"Then you had Muppets and Hispanics and William Shatner."

PMFL!
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Jigawatt wrote:
He's the reason we met/got married, so yeah!
Wait, what? I don't think I've heard this story before. Plz elaborate!
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

AlFest 2009
Jigawatt
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Moderator: 2010
Former Multi-Time Best Avatar (Non-Photo): 2003-2009
Best Avatar: 2015

Post by Jigawatt »

I've posted here at some point in the past, but basically, here’s the short version: one fateful night in December of 1996, I was killing time on AOL looking for fellow Al fans via the profile search thing. One person was lucky enough to snag the coveted "Alfan27" screen name on there, so I randomly emailed this person to congratulate them for this coup and to see if she wanted to talk some Weird Al. This person, of course, was Anne, and luckily for me, she wrote back, we became fast friends, we met in person when she came into the area for a school trip shortly thereafter, and before we knew it we were doing the long-distance dating thing (she was still living in Michigan at the time)… aaaand fast forward to 2007 and we got married.

:ttr:

Adrian
"Then you had Muppets and Hispanics and William Shatner."

PMFL!
AlejandraDD
Obsessed

Post by AlejandraDD »

I. Did. Not. Know. That. :whoot:

I kinda feel less special now. But less alone :good:

Let me know if you can find a link to the long version of the story somewhere.

AlFest 2009