Weird Al and Significant Others

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

pureval

Re: Weird Al and Significant Others

Post by pureval »

When my wife and I first started dating I was a pretty big Al fan, but she was not. She knew "Amish Paradise" and one other song but did not know too much about him. As part of dating we made each other cds with music we liked and she ended up enjoying Al's music.
She ended up buying we tickets to one of his shows as my birthday present (the first show of his I ever attended) and now is almost as big a fan as I am. Our son is an Al fan as well.
If your SO is not a fan yet there is hope, just give them time and do not force the issue. I managed to get her to become a fan of roller coasters as well (she went from being scared to death of kiddie coasters to riding the biggest of them all).
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Great progress was made last night.

I was listening to my iPhone on shuffle mode, as I often do, and Angry White Boy Polka came on. Much to my surprise, when the "Last Nite" segment was about to start, my girlfriend started snapping in time with the snaps in the song! I've earwormed her to polka!!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Post by crazygurl14 »

I have been with my bf for about 2 1/2 months and when met him he had never heard of Weird Al but i have slowly brought him over our side and he likes it. He is not a mega fan or anything but he listens to him and wants to go to a concert and doesnt care when i ramble on about Al lol
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
pigletk
Occasional
Location: Moved back to Salem, Oregon - where I first met Al in 1997 :)

Post by pigletk »

1) Does your significant other like Weird Al? --> Yes he loves him!!

2) How important is your S.O.'s opinion of Weird Al (or any other music/comedy taste, for that matter) to your relationship? ----->Hmm not that important I guess

3) If they don't like Weird Al, what have you done about it? ----> N/A he loves him too

4) Any other stories about current/past significant others and your relationship with them as it pertains to liking/disliking Weird Al. ---> When I met my huband (Will) in high school I found out when we were dating that he had the same "Even Worse" Cassette tape and a "Dare to be Stupid" record! My first Al concert was with Will in 1996 and we have been loving all things all ever since we started dating (95) and married (98) :)
Alexis Adams
Occasional
Awards: None.
Yet.

Post by Alexis Adams »

1) Does your significant other like Weird Al?

Well, my best friend for the past 7 years or so DOES like Al, Just not as much as I do. whenever we get together, He always, ALWAYS begs me to put on TNSWC (extra gory) because it's his favorite. Sometimes, I'll get the occasional "why do you like "weird al so much?" Well, here's my soppy boo hoo hoo emotional explination:
" You’ve (Mr. Yankovic) changed my life so much. You’ve made sad tears into happy tears. You’ve made bad days good days, and You’ve made Me happy in so many ways that i cannot express." -My tumblr, May 12th, 2012 (hooray for soppy stories!)

2) How important is your S.O.'s opinion of Weird Al (or any other music/comedy taste, for that matter) to your relationship?
Well, My friend's opinion doesn't really affect our relationship, but we have had our ups and downs over the years.

3) If they don't like Weird Al, what have you done about it?
Well, I have gotten him to like a few more songs rater than just TNSWC, like Amish Paradise and a few others.

4) Any other stories about current/past significant others and your relationship with them as it pertains to liking/disliking Weird Al.
Well, I have encountered many people, including my sister, who have said many disturbing and hateful remarks about Mr. Yankovic. But I had gone to his defense at some points. MY sister said once and i dont think ive brought it up here but, she did say that Al's daughter looked like a man, but that has since been resolved because she did say That Nina is cute and does not look like a man. She said that Al with his current look, he looks like a "pedo", but she said that she likes Al's 80's look WAY better.... I would go ahead and explain the other situations, but then i'll just go on a rant.
THERE'S NOT ENOUGH BOOMBOOM STICKHOLE STICKS IN THE STICKHOLE!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

May I just say that I've met a LOT of "pedos" (comes with the job) and none of them looked or behaved like Al.
WeirdMary0427
Obsessed

Post by WeirdMary0427 »

1) Does your significant other like Weird Al?
Yes! He's a casual fan. :)
2) How important is your S.O.'s opinion of Weird Al (or any other music/comedy taste, for that matter) to your relationship?
For me, good taste in music and a rockin' sense of humor are two of the MOST IMPORTANT qualities I look for in a significant other. My boyfriend has both of those. As for the Weird Al thing, I'd at least like my significant other to be able to tolerate my fandom and be respectful towards it, as it's a big part of my life. Luckily, my boyfriend not only respects it, but he even told me the other night that he thinks my Al fandom is adorable. So I'm happy about that. I told him I'd take him to a concert one of these days, and he got really excited. He's a HUGE Star Wars fan, so I think he'd really enjoy himself.
3) If they don't like Weird Al, what have you done about it?
Don't have to worry...he likes him!
4) Any other stories about current/past significant others and your relationship with them as it pertains to liking/disliking Weird Al.
Nothing terribly important. The other night I was at my bf's house and Al's Behind the Music came on at 11pm. I didn't know it was gonna be on, so when the program started, I got all hyper and excited...we're talking, like, rolling-around-on-the-floor excited. He totally got a kick out of my Al-thusiasm. I was about to go home at that point, but I decided to stay a bit longer so we could watch it together, haha. My mom understood, I think.