RIP "The Not Al Page?"

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

RIP "The Not Al Page?"

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

It looks like this old stalwart may have gone offline? And didn't somebody mention a different (and more updated) site that was doing the same good service?
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Re: RIP "The Not Al Page?"

Post by weirdojace »

It went offline? Aww... :(

I don't know about another site that does the same thing, but at this point, P2P services aren't as huge so those mistagged mp3s aren't floating around as much anyway.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

weirdojace wrote:It went offline? Aww... :(

I don't know about another site that does the same thing, but at this point, P2P services aren't as huge so those mistagged mp3s aren't floating around as much anyway.
:lol: And you say this the day after a woman told Al TO HIS FACE that yes, he did write "Elmo's Got a Gun!"
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

Al has written every parody ever produced. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying through their teeth. The owner of the page must have finally realized this, and it's about time.
Last edited by JCM on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
weirdojace
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdojace »

I haven't seen someone misattribute one of those songs to Al in a long time. Doesn't mean it never happens. Just not as much. The primary means of filesharing now is BitTorrent, where your download will usually be an artist's entire catalog in one package. So downloaders aren't going to get mistagged songs like that. The people who will are the generation that still uses smurf like Limewire. Which most people don't.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

weirdojace wrote:I haven't seen someone misattribute one of those songs to Al in a long time. Doesn't mean it never happens. Just not as much. The primary means of filesharing now is BitTorrent, where your download will usually be an artist's entire catalog in one package. So downloaders aren't going to get mistagged songs like that. The people who will are the generation that still uses smurf like Limewire. Which most people don't.
Wasn't that smurf killed a few months ago? It was all over the tech news. Which sucks, because my computer can't handle torrents, effectively ending my P2P life.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

Wrong Al songs are still all over You Tube so that would indicate something might still be needed. However, those who think "Which Backstreet Boy is Gay?" is Al's song probably are not trying to find out any correct info anyway....
Is my dude a dweeb?
childofthespiral
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by childofthespiral »

I'm still being told non-Al songs are Al songs, once a month or so. And yeah, there's still a lot of not Al songs credited to him on youtube.

Could someone share the new, updated site? I've not heard of it before.
mind=blown
Oh, the secrets we keep
weirdojace
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdojace »

Thankfully the YouTube videos tend to get a ton of "This isn't Weird Al!!!" comments. So that helps.

I've also seen cases where the uploader has corrected the error. Yay!
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Anyone who is on Twitter and looking for Al related things is going to see possibly 30-40 mis-attributed songs per day, so bang goes that theory. All that stuff has found its way onto Grooveshark and many other file hosts. People mostly are not interested in making the corrections and really are not sympathetic to the idea that it might be detrimental to Al.. So yeah.. its continuing as much as ever
There is this page....

http://www.com-www.com/weirdal/notbyal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but I'm not sure it covers as much as the one that was lost
I hope the webmaster there is able to keep track and I urge him to consult with all the experts here as well.. and I also hope that the complete US discography site
http://dmdb.org/discographies/al.disco.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
can also get an update in the near future
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015