Things You'd Love To Hear Weird Al Do That He'd Never Do

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

HalifaxKat
Regular

Re: Things You'd Love To Hear Weird Al Do That He'd Never Do

Post by HalifaxKat »

Killingsworth wrote:I think the newest "Face To Face" installment might be as close as we'll ever get to this :P
Haha, so true! Just say "ck" at 5:32, and that's pretty much what it would sound like (yes, I just had to do it!) :lol:
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Does anyone else feel that all of this "Oh man, I hope one day I hear Al say a naughty word" crap is ridiculous?

On the extremely rare occasion that it happens (DDTS) or partially happens (Face To Face, Another Tattoo) it's soooooo shocking and amazing and then everyone stops caring. Then the whole rotten business happens again. I don't know, it just makes it seem like the Weird Al fanbase is full of nine-year-olds who like to hear naughty words simply because they're naughty.

So what happens if Al decides to say smurf, unbleeped, in one of his songs? What then, after the initial uproar that this would cause? Would everyone start wanting him to say smurf? Probably. And by that point it'll be obvious that Al's jumped the shark.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Morbid Undead
Occasional

Post by Morbid Undead »

Mystik Tomato wrote:On the extremely rare occasion that it happens (DDTS)...
It happened? I'm assuming DDTS is Don't Download This Song, but he didn't swear in that.
Mystik Tomato wrote:...it's soooooo shocking and amazing and then everyone stops caring.
You don't know that everyone stops caring. I don't stop caring! I think it's funny as hell and I can't get enough of it!
Mystik Tomato wrote:I don't know, it just makes it seem like the Weird Al fanbase is full of nine-year-olds who like to hear naughty words simply because they're naughty.
What's so bad about that? Maturity is overrated :P
~Morbid Undead~

Weird Al fanatic since 22nd June 2011
Creator of http://crashcourseinweirdal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Life is like a bowl of three-legged salamanders, swimming around in an infinite ocean of cherry Kool-Aid."
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Morbid Undead wrote:
Mystik Tomato wrote:On the extremely rare occasion that it happens (DDTS)...
It happened? I'm assuming DDTS is Don't Download This Song, but he didn't swear in that.
"You cheap bastard". It's mild, but it's still there.
Morbid Undead wrote:
Mystik Tomato wrote:I don't know, it just makes it seem like the Weird Al fanbase is full of nine-year-olds who like to hear naughty words simply because they're naughty.
What's so bad about that? Maturity is overrated :P
Yeah, it also hurts Al's image as more than a glorified kid's entertainer who doesn't deserve to be on the Hollywood Star Walk/Rock Hall etc etc.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
arewethereyet
Occasional
Location: 70 miles east of the Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota

Post by arewethereyet »

I'm with Mystik on this. So many comedians use bad language to get an easy but cheap laugh. Sometimes Al's potty humor bothers me for the same reason. Still, I suppose that if a comedian is going to use bad language (or potty humor), it's more effective if it's not what you're expecting . . . because the comedian doesn't use it very often.
5/3/12 Minneapolis; 10/13/12 Milwaukee; 8/3/13 Prior Lake, MN; 8/4/13 Des Moines; 7/3/15 Prior Lake, MN; 8/18/16 Thunder Bay, Ontario; 4/3/18 Minneapolis; 6/23/19 Madison; 8/27/19 MN State Fair
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Things You'd Love To Hear Weird Al Do That He'd Never Do

Post by minnick27 »

Everyone wants Al to curse, but when he makes a diarrhea joke everyone gets all up in arms
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

minnick27 wrote:Everyone wants Al to curse, but when he makes a diarrhea joke everyone gets all up in arms
Cursing for the sake of cursing elicits the same negative reaction from me as a gratuitous diarrhea joke. Al should just do what he thinks is the most funny, not try to crowbar in a "curse word" as the song fades out just to make a few immature people giggle.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
PlayAWarGame
Occasional

Post by PlayAWarGame »

I don't think he should shy away from cursing because of "jumping-the-shark" fears, though.
It doesn't matter if I do things for a reason, or on a W-H-I-M... Just stand back and enjoy the show, cuz baby, I perform this way!
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

It always bothers me when Al is pigeonholed as family friendly, because if he was family friendly, I seriously doubt I'd listen to him (Or at the very least listen to him the same way as I do the Muppets, for example).

But as far as "increasing his vocabulary", I think he should just let it slide. Al is "edgy" enough. If people need to hear swearing to see that Al's edgy, than it's their loss.

If it fits and there's a legitimate excuse for it, than of course I'd be fine with it. But it's highly unlikely that situation will ever arise.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

I don't think Al being family-friendly should even pigeonhole him. After all, he absolutely is family friendly, it's just that he's edgy without having to resort to anything that a parent should cover their kids' ears/eyes over. Being edgy and family-friendly at the same time isn't impossible.

I don't think kids think twice about "self-service pumps," anything in WBUL or whatever other questionable thing he might do. That's not how kids respond. They hear funny lyrics and they run with it, even if it doesn't make sense. One of however many exceptions there may be is the "Perform This Way" music video for some of its "interesting" imagery, but my 5 year-old sister had nothing to say about it. She just thought it was funny. That's family-friendly, if you ask me.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22