Essay Help?

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: Essay Help?

Post by Killingsworth »

weirdojace wrote:Trapped in the Drive Thru is directly making fun of the ridiculousness of Trapped in the Closet, so it probably would be considered a legal parody under fair use.
Al had mentioned in an interview when SOL came out that "Drive Thru" was meant to juxtapose the pointless banality of "Trapped In The Closet." That alone makes it a legal parody in that it comments on the original in some way.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
childofthespiral
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by childofthespiral »

Aaaaanyway, did you get the answer you were looking for, Killingsworth?
mind=blown
Oh, the secrets we keep
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

weirdojace wrote:Trapped in the Drive Thru is directly making fun of the ridiculousness of Trapped in the Closet, so it probably would be considered a legal parody under fair use.
But couldn't you argue that any parody is making fun of the 'ridiculousness' of the original? Then again, I guess the courts have sided with the parody...
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Not if the parody isn't commenting on it specifically.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

childofthespiral wrote:Aaaaanyway, did you get the answer you were looking for, Killingsworth?
I wasn't the one asking the question to begin with, so...no?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
childofthespiral
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by childofthespiral »

Oh, sorry bout that. That's what I get for not checking first.

Whoever it was, did you get the help you needed?
mind=blown
Oh, the secrets we keep
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

Big Spoon wrote:That's probably the perfect title to use here. Thanks, Bob!
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
Helix

Post by Helix »

Well i have no exact idea about the tittle song and you t work and effort seems to be worthwhile and hope it will be a good writing and have a good time.
Helix
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

In answer to the "lyrical adaptation" of "The Saga Begins"... Don McLean politely asked Al to call it a lyrical adaptation, so he honored his request.
What Al does the most of (and most people who write "parodies") is satire. "Eat It" is a satire of parents telling their children to clean their plates to Michael Jackson's music. "Pretty Fly For a Rabbi" is a satire of Judaism culture.
Satire pokes fun at a subject. A parody pokes fun at the original work it is derived from (as specified by others) which is why there are parody movies, books, AND songs.
Technically, how Al says he doesn't need permission or how it's a shady area, is because unless he's taking a jab at the artist's work itself, then it's not legal and he can be sued if an artist felt it. Chances are that he could argue something like what was said before about "Trapped in the Drive-Thru" being a parody of the dramatic aspect of "Trapped in the Closet" and the judge may side with him if he's convincing enough, but "Ebay" is not a parody in any sense of the word and if released without permission could land a lawsuit.
I was very careful to research all this before I released my last album.

"Smells Like Nirvana" was the song I would also suggest for the representation of parody. It is THE PERFECT example of a song parody by Al.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

Satire requires a lot of sophistication and wit, neither of which I have, and if I produced any of the songs I wrote, I could very well get sued, and I probably would. If there's anything record companies know how to manipulate, it's copyright law.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?