Al's Star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

DrDecay
Addicted

Re: Al's Star on tutthe Hollywood Walk Of Fame

Post by DrDecay »

So, I just bugged Chris Hardwick at the nerdist on Twitter about this hopping that it will create a buzz in the geek community. Please feel free to use the hash tag #weirdalneedsastar. Also, please feel free to follow me too. kris_snes.
KatrinatheGood
Addicted

Re: Al's Star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame

Post by KatrinatheGood »

Being the Newbie that I am, I had to do some research on this topic. I am excited about Al having his own star. He is so hard working and talented that he definitely deserves one. So far this year has been excellent for him as another person said. I see no reason that he shouldn't get a Star. Plenty of funny people have received stars, why the push back for him? I will note however I have watched an interview on YouTube (sorry I don't remember what interview) of Al talking about the movement to get him a Star and it seems to me that it is not that important to him. Perhaps, that is the reasoning of him not having a Star yet. The Powers That Be don't see no reason to give him one if he really doesn't care about it either way? Not sure, but when the time coming to petition and whatever else needs to be done, I'll be here to do my part!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

KatrinatheGood wrote:I see no reason that he shouldn't get a Star.
There are two: 1) money 2) politics
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

It's really only the one since we raised the money
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I don't know the Youtube video you are talking about, but whether it's important to someone or not, doesn't factor into the committees decision to give someone a star. The committee looks at things like nominee’s qualifications and contributions to the community. By the way, I spoke to Al in person and he gave his blessing for us to pursue a star for him. I also talk to Jay Levey, Al's manager, regularly to give and receive updates on the process. Jay's been taking a slightly more active role in recent years, so if a star wasn't something Al felt was important, I haven't personally seen that.

As said, money isn't an issue. I don't think money even comes into play on when the committee makes the decision, as everyone who submits an application is aware of the fee before doing so, and presumably has the money already, or the ability to get it.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
KatrinatheGood
Addicted

Post by KatrinatheGood »

Elvis wrote:I don't know the Youtube video you are talking about, but whether it's important to someone or not, doesn't factor into the committees decision to give someone a star. The committee looks at things like nominee’s qualifications and contributions to the community. By the way, I spoke to Al in person and he gave his blessing for us to pursue a star for him. I also talk to Jay Levey, Al's manager, regularly to give and receive updates on the process. Jay's been taking a slightly more active role in recent years, so if a star wasn't something Al felt was important, I haven't personally seen that.

As said, money isn't an issue. I don't think money even comes into play on when the committee makes the decision, as everyone who submits an application is aware of the fee before doing so, and presumably has the money already, or the ability to get it.

Dave
Which ever video I saw I may have misinterpreted. I saw it before I signed up here. I should put two and two together and realized that this was the where the fans where organizing for his Star. Thank you for the information. I'm very dense as to how things like this work. I can be very clueless. Anyways, whatever the next set is to help Mr. Yankovic get his star, I'm ready...
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Al has been passed over AGAIN. That does it! If they cold-shoulder him after the most wondrous year of his long successful career, whoever is doing the music choices is NEVER going to pick him. I say that instead of waiting for that humorless individual to die or resign, next year we switch categories and submit his name under Live Performance. I actually did ask Al what he would think of that, and he looked a little surprised but said, "I'll take what I can get!" What do you think, people?
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

This is a travesty.
FreedomHaul
Occasional

Post by FreedomHaul »

I'm asking a legitimate question here/ not trying to start a controversy. Admittedly, I don't know who has one or who doesn't and I personally don't care, so what's the big deal about these stars? What's at stake if Yankovic gets one or doesn't?
KatrinatheGood
Addicted

Post by KatrinatheGood »

FreedomHaul wrote:I'm asking a legitimate question here/ not trying to start a controversy. Admittedly, I don't know who has one or who doesn't and I personally don't care, so what's the big deal about these stars? What's at stake if Yankovic gets one or doesn't?
It's true that the universe will not implode a pon itself if he doesn't get a star. The stars are a homeage to the hard work, dedication, talent, and what a person brings to the art of acting and/or music. Mr. Yankovic, is as far as I am concerned has went above and beyond why I listed previously. He has lasted so long in his career because he strives to do better than he did with the previous. One can see how his voice has evolved over the years. To me he is the best male singer active today and has been for a while. He should receive a permeant egknowelegement of his work. Whether he will get it or not is up to the powers that be. I know nothing of how the process works bit there are heaps of intelegent people that do, so whatever happens in that reguard I will follow them.