Al's Star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Al's Star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame

Post by Elvis »

VISIT US AT WWW.WEIRDALSTAR.COM

==========================================================================

While I was in the L.A. area earlier this week and I stopped by the Hollywood Walk Of Fame to check out some of the stars. It was absolutely so cool to walk along and read all the names of the great movie stars and tv stars and musicians, etc. Anyone who's been there can attest to this.

As I was reading some names, I got to thinking Al should have a star. He surely has made as much as an impact as some of the names I read. I mean, even the Rugrats have a star!!

So, now I've done some research and I believe we can get Al that star that he rightfully deserves.

Al easily meets all the qualifications (5 years longevity, contribution to society, etc.) so I feel if we nominate him, he'll be accepted. I can't imagine Al refusing to find time in his busy schedule to accept the star, so the only significant obstacle is raising $15,000 for the star.

That may seem like a lot, but if everyone were to contribute $5, we would only need 3,000 contributors. That's about the average size of one single audience at an Al show, so it's within reason. But unless there are A LOT of lurkers on this board, it will require getting the word out, and getting others to support our cause, both on and off the Internet.

But before I launch a campaign, I wanted to see what the interest level is. So please answer the poll question.

Thanks!

Dave
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Al's Star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

An excellent idea, Dave!

QUOTE I can't imagine Al refusing to find time in his busy schedule to accept the star

No, especially not when he's lived in or near Hollywood for so long. He could probably walk there if he got an early start.

Interestingly, being an actual person (or group of people) does not seem to be a necessary qualification for a star. Kermit the Frog has one.

Did you get a look at the Road to Hollywood project at the Hollywood & Highland shopping complex?
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I would probably help to promote it, but it depends on what we would get with a donation. I don't want a copy of 'The Food Album' or something, but maybe some t-shirt would do me in.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

QUOTE I would probably help to promote it, but it depends on what we would get with a donation. I don't want a copy of 'The Food Album' or something, but maybe some t-shirt would do me in.

Aw, c'mon. A donation is a donation. 27 cents? $2.70? $27.00 for the truly dedicated and gainfully employed? I don't know exactly how many molecules of terrazo and brass that would pay for, but wouldn't it be worth doing just for its own sake, or for Al's?

If this "Walk All Over Al's Name" campaign gets going, it will get going and keep going by volunteer efforts, and I'd hate to saddle those volunteers with the hassle of providing premiums.
Elvis
Be jealous.

Re: Al's Star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame

Post by Elvis »

QUOTE Did you get a look at the Road to Hollywood project at the Hollywood & Highland shopping complex?

Yes! I did! That was pretty cool. I had to go back to find Al's quote because I wasn't sure it was there, but I did eventually find it.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

QUOTE QUOTE I would probably help to promote it, but it depends on what we would get with a donation. I don't want a copy of 'The Food Album' or something, but maybe some t-shirt would do me in.

Aw, c'mon. A donation is a donation. 27 cents? $2.70? $27.00 for the truly dedicated and gainfully employed? I don't know exactly how many molecules of terrazo and brass that would pay for, but wouldn't it be worth doing just for its own sake, or for Al's?

Well, when you put it that way, I would. But most things like this would require a large be contributing to the fund.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Well I know that I would dnate at least $20, so looking at it that way, we only need 750 people to donate, and there over a hundred here right? I think if we did something online donations would pour in! What are we waiting for?!?!

Mike
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I would contribute in any way I could :)

Who would be the one to handle the donated funds? It should be someone who we all know and trust. Is that something that the CPFOA could handle? Do any of us know someone there?

As far as getting the word out, I wonder if Dr. D would make an announcement either on the show, or on his website, or both? BTW... Does Dr. D have one? And if not, why not?

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Immortalize ... Fame.shtml

http://hollywoodchamber.net/walkoffame/frameset.html
Elvis
Be jealous.

Post by Elvis »

QUOTE What are we waiting for?!?!

Well for one, we need Al's letter of agreement. (Jay Levey, as Al's manager, can also provide the letter of agreement.) Without a letter of agreement, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce won't even accept the application.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Maybe Bermuda could get the contact info to whoever needs it. Or perhaps he would be willing to contact Al (or Jay) for us?