Unpopular Opinions-Al Edition

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

MandatoryFun
Occasional

Re: Unpopular Opinions-Al Edition

Post by MandatoryFun »

Not a big fan of White and Nerdy. As great of a rapper as Al is, I think the song is kinda lame. Really it should just be called Nerdy because barely anything in it is "White." Which I also find frustrating - the idea of "White" being equated with "Nerdy." I know Al isn't being intentionally racist or something thing, I'm just tired of the stereotype that anything pertaining to fandom, knowledge, or Donny Osmond is considered white guy stuff.
Hey guys, I got this username first ha ha
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

MandatoryFun wrote:Which I also find frustrating - the idea of "White" being equated with "Nerdy."
I think that being white is mentioned not because white=nerdy, but because gangsta=black. Still kind of racist I guess :lol:
Yup.
Die-hard Fan
Awards: Best Yankochick (-18) Nominee

Post by Yup. »

mellow weasel wrote:
MandatoryFun wrote:Which I also find frustrating - the idea of "White" being equated with "Nerdy."
I think that being white is mentioned not because white=nerdy, but because gangsta=black. Still kind of racist I guess :lol:
I think it's because nerds are stereotypically lighter skinned, whether it be a lighter version of darker skin (black) or a lighter version of lighter skin (white). But Vic has a point with the gangster=black thing.
Shows:
10-21-12 Rutland VT
06-02-13 Port Chester NY
10-08-13 Verona NY
07-14-15 Verona NY
07-30-15 Port Chester NY
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

White isn't mentioned because it's nerdy, white is mentioned to keep within the structure of the song. I also don't like it. Once at a show I was in the front row and just sat there looking bored for the whole song, and I guess Al noticed because he played up to me for close to half of it.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

I think white works, because Al is white, unless I'm missing something?
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Well, most simple words that rhyme with Ridin' Dirty, playing off a rappers concept of the way he rides. Al doesn't ride dirty but he is white & nerdy. Must have come to him pretty quick.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Well, I've watched a couple episodes of CBB, and I'm just not laughing :(
Sappho
Obsessed
Location: Hiding in Al's lustrous hair (but not in a creepy way).

Post by Sappho »

Yeah, CBB is just not for everybody I guess. I don't think it's the most hilarious thing I've ever seen either, though I do generally find it enjoyable and there are bits that make me laugh. But there's also a lot of stuff that just makes me go :huh:
Love and peace.
chickadee
Regular

Post by chickadee »

weird_el wrote:Well, I've watched a couple episodes of CBB, and I'm just not laughing :(
I feel the same way. There's a few things here and there that are funny, but mostly I find myself waiting for Al.
I did learn something about myself from this show though.....
I'll laugh at anything Al does. :D

I never even cracked a smile in the Tony Hale episode until Al joined the crowd shouting, "Fight!"
It's so out of character for him that it cracked me up.
Everything he does amuses me.
I love how talented he really is on the keyboard. How he can play any genre and be so good and know the right amount of silly.
"Not too stupid, just stupid enough." :clap:
Heds
Obsessed

Post by Heds »

I'm currently on season 3 (because Jon told me to start from there and Netflix UK has nothing else other than 1-3) so I'm gonna admit this -

Some of the episodes were really funny, some of them just don't have the knack.

That's why I can't wait for them to get seasons 4 and 5 in.
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;