Unpopular Opinions-Al Edition

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

It's not that mispronouncing Yankovic is especially irritating, it's that I have a sense that I am the only person this person's going to meet that's going to correct them on this. It's a civic duty in the name of Al fandom, in my opinion.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

You're probably right. And it doesn't even really matter because most people who put the H on the end aren't a fan anyway. They're a casual music fan who's heard a few songs here and there and chances are they're not even going to care that there's not supposed to be an H. It's the way they've been hearing it from others all this time.

Basically I think freaking out over it is rude and makes Weird Al fans look like crazy people, especially since I've read stories in the generic blather thread where fans were pretty much outright rude to the person for making a simple mistake.

Of course, if you can correct them in a polite, civilized manner then yeah you can do that.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cohocat
Obsessed

Post by Cohocat »

weird_el @ May 05, 2009 06:29 pm wrote: I believe I am one of the few Al fans who rarely listens to Albuquerque. IMO it's his most overrated opus.
Rarely? I love that "song."

Yeah, I agree with Jon and Jace. The H does bug me a bit, but people who think they know Al like a fan does, and then they spell or pronounce his name wrong, I just get really pissed.
The inner machinations of my mind is an enigma.
NH Weird Al Fan
Addicted

Post by NH Weird Al Fan »

I'm not sure if this opinion is unpopular or not, but....

I don't like the polkas. I usually skip them. :lookaround:

I also really don't like "Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch." It's like nails on a chalkboard for me.
8/11/07 Beverly
7/15/08 & 6/26/10 Gilford
8/22/10 Ventura
10/15/11 Boston
5/10/12 Lowell
10/19/12 Beverly
6/7/13 Lebanon
6/8/13 Keene
10/5/13 Hampton
6/4/15 Concord
6/6/15 Foxwoods
8/4/15 NewBedford
9/1/16 Lowell
9/2/16 Gilford
9/14/16 Providence
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Yeah, I was mostly joking. I try not to say or do anything about it when it does happen, even though I cringe. If it's a person who I know can take a joke, I say dryly "You know, it's actually YankoVIC. No H." And then I laugh it off as if I was joking that I am that big of a fan, when in reality I am being serious. Come to think of it, most of my jokes are just me pretending I'm joking when really I'm serious.
like_im_27again
Obsessed

Post by like_im_27again »

I will politely correct people on the H if I can get away with it and not sound like a freak.
And I have never liked "Albuquerque".
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

I am not a fan of the song "UHF." I just don't think it's very funny at all. Actually I kind of do like it as a straightforward "serious" rock song, but that is not why I listen to Weird Al. That being said, I don't think he could have done much more with the song.
WeirdAbbott
Off The Deep End

Post by WeirdAbbott »

Since we're being honest here...:P

I don't really like all of the songs that Al is known for. Eat It, Fat, Like a Surgeon, I Lost on Jeopardy mostly, and even White and Nerdy is starting to lose its comedic appeal to me.

(The acceptions being Amish Paradise and Smells Like Nirvana, maybe it's because they are from the 90's and I wasn't alive during the 80's to realize how, I guess, groundbreaking those other songs were).

I think a lot of other Al songs would have been awesome, like Pretty Fly for a Rabbi, Trash Day, I Was Only Kidding (instead of YDLMA), and the other "forgotten parodies" on the album.
amiright.com/parody/authors/abbottskelding.shtml
youtube.com/WeirdAbbott
facebook.com/TheAbbottSkelding
soundclick.com/TheAbbottSkelding
facebook.com/AbbottSkeldingDesign
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

This may be unfounded, but I don't feel Couch Potato having a music video would have helped matters much. The song felt very bland as it listed off shows, and to quote our boy- "I could only change the lyrics, not the music too". I also feel the guitar on Al's was, for once, not as good as the original. :/
Overall, White and Nerdy was the kind of song Al needed for commercial success.
Visit Elvis' website to read "The Completionist Guide" for accessing all sorts ofWeird Al songs (and sometimes ridiculously miniscule) be it rare gems or ridiculously miniscule from 1973 to 2019. weirdalstar.com/uhf/
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

For a long time I didn't like White & Nerdy at all.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect