Unpopular Opinions-Al Edition

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

wayword
Occasional

Post by wayword »

I love both Yoda and TSB, but I don't play them more than any other Al song. I always find it impossible to pick a favorite song, because that will depend on my mood and what I've gotten tired of hearing. I enjoy a song more after it's had a nice rest and I've been busy appreciating something else. Yet people always want to list their favorites (or least favorites). It's a harmless compulsion, I suppose. But I have a great big list of favorites for a favorite artist (naturally) and a comparatively short one of songs I skip. Neither of the Star Wars songs would be on my skip list-- I think they're spot on. But that's why people have personal playlists, so we can all indulge ourselves.

Unpopular opinion: There's no such thing as a "good" Al song. There are only songs you like-- and you can like or dislike whatever songs you want to.
"I think the biggest secret to keeping a band together is, don’t be a jerk." -- WAY
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

TMBJon @ May 04, 2009 03:11 pm wrote: Here's one that may ruffle a few feathers: if a friend told me they downloaded Al's music illegally, I wouldn't really care.
I really have no problem with that either...
I know multiple people who have become fans of Al after downloading songs from him first, and these people eventually became VERY GREAT fans, some of which are on this forum!

Personally, I was never a huge fan of Amish Paradise!
It made me laugh a bit the first time I heard it, but honestly, I tend to skip over it most of the time...I just really never liked the original, and it made me not like the parody too much...
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

I know multiple people who have become fans of Al after downloading songs from him first, and these people eventually became VERY GREAT fans, some of which are on this forum!
Errm... We were supposed to buy them? :lookaround:

Just Kidding! I'll buy some CDs once I'm in the States
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I agree with those who have only seen UHF or the Weird Al Show once or twice. They're all right but not nearly as engaging as Al's videos are.
This means something. This is important.
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

weird_el @ May 05, 2009 06:22 am wrote: I agree with those who have only seen UHF or the Weird Al Show once or twice. They're all right but not nearly as engaging as Al's videos are.
I think UHF is worth seeing at least once, or twice, but it stands on its own as being something of value. I know I've seen it several several times, but most of those were times that I was showing them to friends!

As for the Weird Al Show, I don't think I've seen each episode more than two or three times, one of which was with commentary for each...It just gets old pretty quick and isn't one of those shows you can watch multiple times with replay value...
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I've only seen the Weird Al Show once per episode, the first time they aired, and never revisited the series.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

I watched TWAS all the time during last summer (as it was my brothers' steady obsession then), and I don't find it GOOD, but I don't dislike it either.

If I tried to watch it with commentary, I would get some child screaming its head off about how he "couldn't hear," so I really enjoy it with that.

Same here with Amish Paradise. Well, I find it really clever and good, it's just that I don't really listen to it all the time.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

I think Bad Hair Day is a weak album overall.

I don't like Al's Band.

And I think Al is better at writing original songs than parodies.

edit: Oh and I don't freak out whenever somebody says "Yankovic-h" or that they downloaded his music off Limewire.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

I am also one of those who doesn't freak out when someone puts the "h" on although it is very slightly annoying..
Is my dude a dweeb?
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

The -h does bug me, but then it bugs me when people continually pronounce a well-known person's name incorrectly -- not just Al's.

I believe I am one of the few Al fans who rarely listens to Albuquerque. IMO it's his most overrated opus.
This means something. This is important.