Unpopular Opinions-Al Edition

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

I have a hard time laughing at the songs although I find his other projects hilarious.

Speaking of UHF (but not necessarily replying to others views on it)
I might go off on a tangent- but I don't think the movie deserves to be called the best movie ever made. However, its one of my favorites and holds the distinction as the only film on my top list of its kind (the rest would be the likes of Kevin Smith, Tarantino, Spielberg, Lucas, and Chris Nolan)

On the other hand- it doesn't deserve to be called a poor film, either.

I hope to use it for a Media Arts class op-ed on how the 5 star rating system is flawed. UHF was an example of how reviews might not need to measure how well produced, written, or performed in a film is but describe what direction in storytelling and entertainment the film intends on taking, afterward it can point out who would enjoy it as well as who would not.

For example:
Generally the majority of Weird Al fans will enjoy it (or need to see it once). Those who just enjoy fun parody scripts that don't take itself too seriously will enjoy it as well.
Who wouldn't like it? Those who need a comedy with heart or is driven by story rather than excuses to comfortably fit a parody in. Or those who lack the interest in Al's work.
Visit Elvis' website to read "The Completionist Guide" for accessing all sorts ofWeird Al songs (and sometimes ridiculously miniscule) be it rare gems or ridiculously miniscule from 1973 to 2019. weirdalstar.com/uhf/
Melquizio
Die-hard Fan

Post by Melquizio »

This is a good idea for a topic!

I don't like "Ebay" at all. It just never really grew on me.
"How do we know you're not just as filthy, sent by him to nick the ring by being filthy, when you've lulled us with your filthy Eastern ways?"
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Here's one that may ruffle a few feathers: if a friend told me they downloaded Al's music illegally, I wouldn't really care.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Cohocat
Obsessed

Post by Cohocat »

I never liked "Trash Day" or "Lasagna," although I LOVE the food.

Ok, that was a little corny... :lookaround:
The inner machinations of my mind is an enigma.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

:oo You actually like eating trash?

You're sick, dude.
And Peggy
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I wouldn't call WYL the single worst thing in his catalog, but it really isn't good. At all. And I still think giving it the same title as the original was stupid. In Al's defense though, it's by far the worst source material he's gone to for a parody.

And yes, I'm not crazy about the album "previews" either.

Here's a more positive one: "Buckingham Blues" is fantastic. It's probably my favorite original on the debut album but it got incredibly far in the Worst Song Tournament.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

TMBJon @ May 04, 2009 06:11 pm wrote: Here's one that may ruffle a few feathers: if a friend told me they downloaded Al's music illegally, I wouldn't really care.
Nor I, unless it wasn't really him and they just thought it was.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

A positive/negative one: I love Yoda, but I would not have picked to win the Best Song Tournament by far. Maybe it's the Star Wars thing, but while I love the song, I don't think it's the be all and end all, you know?
Is my dude a dweeb?
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Speaking of Star Wars, one of the most unpopular/death threat inducing opinions I've ever had on this board.

I've never been big on TSB. I think it's one of Al's shining moments as a songwriter, but I just don't care for it.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

the Dingo @ May 04, 2009 11:55 pm wrote: Speaking of Star Wars, one of the most unpopular/death threat inducing opinions I've ever had on this board.

I've never been big on TSB. I think it's one of Al's shining moments as a songwriter, but I just don't care for it.
I agree in part. While I don't dislike the song, I often do skip over it on the 'ol MP3 player list..
Is my dude a dweeb?