Generic Al Blather

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Yankopunk
Addicted

Re: Generic Al Blather

Post by Yankopunk »

yankochick38 wrote: Soooo...online dating going well.

Seriously, what the hell would make someone ask that?! Is this the first thing that this guy has messaged you? If so, at least he actually said something other than just "Hello." I'll give him that. I knew some girls that did online dating and they told me that 99% of the first messages they received were either a bit vulgar, or some form of "Hello," "How are you?", "Hi!," "Sup?" and so on. And nothing ever came from that.

So, does this guy get the axe for that Al ignorance, or does he seem alright otherwise? Anyway, all I can say is that when it comes to anything, especially dating, absolutely don't settle! And besides, you are such a fantastic catch that I know there's someone out there for you that's almost as amazing as you. Hopefully they're smart enough to see it when they cross your path. :D It can take some time, but I know there's someone.

It's difficult enough for me finding good people just to talk to that share at least some interests with me... much less finding a friend... and forget about something more than a friend! I can only imagine how terribly online dating would go for me. As it was, the only time that came close to love / a relationship... I'm not even sure how to describe it. Long story short, she was very... disturbed, to put it politely... and ultimately admitted that she didn't care about me at all but just saw someone sweet, caring, and damaged that she could take advantage of. She went through hell herself, and when she met someone that had been through worse and thought of said person as "already broken," she thought, "I'm going to lie to him, build him up, and then destroy him again so that another person will know the pain that I feel inside... and hopefully that will make me feel happy and better again."

I hope it did, because it destroyed me... utterly destroyed me and left me a shell for the longest time. I feel so stupid about it, honestly. I was very skeptical, of course, when we met (wasn't looking for love, friendship, or anything, really... we met in a messageboard about movies and such, and had a lot in common) and she just started wanting to get closer to me... especially after we both opened up to each other more. I really should've just remained skeptical, but I did care about her a lot and trusted her. Never led her on, was happy being just friends, was always very careful and truthful with her, but in the end, I guess I was very stupid to fall for her plan.

I guess I can at least take comfort in the fact that she never traveled over here to chop me up into pieces or something, and I doubt we will ever cross paths again. Very lucky that she's halfway across the world. And it really just solidified for me that I probably need to just stay out of the dating world. Sorry for venting like that. Anyway...

Best of luck, Alicia! Keep us updated on when you find that very lucky someone! :D
The greatest thing a human being can do is make another person happy. If I can ever help do that for you, just let me know!
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

LOL
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Could this guy have been referring to Alpocalypse? That was fairly new and did receive a "meh" reception compared to the publicity blitz that MF just got. It may be possible he wasn't paying attention to Al in the last five years and simply didn't know that MF came and conquered.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Yankopunk
Addicted

Post by Yankopunk »

Killingsworth wrote:Could this guy have been referring to Alpocalypse? That was fairly new and did receive a "meh" reception compared to the publicity blitz that MF just got. It may be possible he wasn't paying attention to Al in the last five years and simply didn't know that MF came and conquered.
I don't know. If he's on the internet with any frequency, it was pretty hard to miss at least a small piece of Mandatory Fun. Most people visit YouTube at least weekly, and you would've definitely seen at least one of Al's videos on the front page at some point during the week. Also, I remember seeing on various news programs lots of stories and even just ten second bits about Al hitting #1 when it happened. Then, of course, there were written articles both online and in print about the occasion, too. It was pretty big news, to say the least. People I knew with no interest in Al had even heard the news (and of course, they repeatedly asked me if I had heard about it... of course I did, but it was still nice to see they were hearing the news).

Judging from this message, apparently Alicia mentioned something about "every Weird Al song," which would tell this guy that she's a huge fan of Al's. So, common sense would tell you not to insult the artist that this potential date enjoys. If you're genuinely interested on their opinions about said artist and whether they found something of theirs to be "meh," there are definitely better ways to get this information than that. Or, if you'd just like to have a conversation with this interesting person, maybe try something like:

"So, you love Weird Al? Cool! What did you think of his latest stuff?"
"Do you have an absolute favorite Al song, or a top 10 list?"
"Do you prefer Al's newer stuff, his earlier stuff, or any certain era of his?"

You get the point. There are tons of better questions to ask, and the sad thing is that many of those other questions would've probably led to a great conversation, at the least.
The greatest thing a human being can do is make another person happy. If I can ever help do that for you, just let me know!
Sappho
Obsessed
Location: Hiding in Al's lustrous hair (but not in a creepy way).

Post by Sappho »

Well I frequent the Internet pretty frequently, have done for years, and I never heard anything of Mandatory Fun when it was coming out. I barely knew Al even existed until around this time last year. So, y'know, it's not impossible that this guy might have missed it, too.

Then again I am not a USian which might change things.
Love and peace.
Yankopunk
Addicted

Post by Yankopunk »

Sappho wrote:Well I frequent the Internet pretty frequently, have done for years, and I never heard anything of Mandatory Fun when it was coming out. I barely knew Al even existed until around this time last year. So, y'know, it's not impossible that this guy might have missed it, too.

Then again I am not a USian which might change things.
Good point. We're all assuming this guy is in the US. Maybe he's not. (insert suspenseful DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN sound)

I think it was only huge news in the US, because the Billboard 200 chart is for the US and, of course, countries have their own charts. I know that my friend in the UK wasn't aware of the news until I told him because of this. Then again, he's not really into Al, but knows I am.

Still, it was a bit of a bonehead move to message that. I'm still trying to think what the thought process was for that. "Wow, here's this really amazing girl. She loves Weird Al. What should I do? I know! I'll message her and insult his latest work!" :lol:
Sappho
Obsessed
Location: Hiding in Al's lustrous hair (but not in a creepy way).

Post by Sappho »

Yeah it's not the greatest opener to a potential date, that's for sure. :lol:
Love and peace.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Doesn't matter what album he was referring to, even if it was totally true that Al's newer stuff is getting meh reception. The point is that Alicia identifies prominently on Tinder as a Weird Al fan. So why would you insult someone she's clearly into while trying to make a good first impression?
Alicia, what did he say in response to your message? Or was that the end of it?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
senorconebra
Be jealous.
Awards: OA in Tweeting/Social Media (2015)
Best Yankochick (-18 Division, 2015)

Post by senorconebra »

YankoSwag 8888 wrote:What IOS is that?

looks like the 10 beta maybe??? also there are keyboards you can download and send gifs with now too so it could be one of those
conk or bepis
Yankopunk
Addicted

Post by Yankopunk »

TMBJon wrote:Doesn't matter what album he was referring to, even if it was totally true that Al's newer stuff is getting meh reception. The point is that Alicia identifies prominently on Tinder as a Weird Al fan. So why would you insult someone she's clearly into while trying to make a good first impression?
Alicia, what did he say in response to your message? Or was that the end of it?
Exactly, Jon! I'm still trying to figure out this dude's thought process. Even if the guy isn't into Weird Al at all, what in the world would make him think that saying what he said would be a good thing to message to Alicia?! I mean, even if I'm not into something that someone else enjoys, it still is a good way to have a nice conversation with someone by asking them about something they're passionate about. I enjoy hearing someone speak passionately and intelligently about something they enjoy even if it isn't my cup of tea. It's just great to see someone light up and be passionate and excited about anything, you know? And who knows? Maybe you'll become a fan / enthusiast of whatever it is, too, thanks to this person you're talking to.

Still, though... "Hey, I'm going to insult this artist that she's a huge fan of! That'll surely win the heart of a potential date!" :rolleyes:

But yes... we all want to know what happened next!

Of course, if it's private or you don't want to talk about this dude anymore, sorry about this and we completely understand.