Al Fest: Fan Convention August 1st in SoCal

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

like_im_27again
Obsessed

Al Fest: Fan Convention August 1st in SoCal

Post by like_im_27again »

EDIT 4/23/09: AL FEST will be held on August 1, 2009 at:

Holiday Inn Costa Mesa
3131 South Bristol Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

It will run from 10 AM to 10 PM (time approximate)

AlFest2009.com

Hey, everybody- Fool that I am, especially with our economy in the toilet, I’ve decided to go ahead with a fan convention in southern California ( Orange County ) in the summer of 2009. I’ve opened this thread for a few reasons:

1. to find out if there is enough interest or whether I’ll be sitting in the audience all by myself…
2. to find out from those who really plan to be there what kind of things they’d like to see at a Weird Al fan convention. I have my own ideas, but I think it would be more fun if I throw it out there for others to give some preferences--You can have whatever you like (well...within reason...)
3. to come up with a name for this thing—We can’t use ALCON, and my suggestion would be ALfest. Now I’m putting it out to all of you—what would you call a Weird Al fan convention?

I don’t have very many details yet. Here’s what I know so far: It will happen sometime between July 29 and August 9, 2009. It will be located as close as I can get it to the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa so that attendees can easily get over to the fair to see the Al attractions going on there.

There will be vendors. There will be a few comedy musicians. There will be group photo ops: old school: all gals who ever received a “One More Minute” scarf and/or pair of boxers (bring the scarves and boxers so they can be in the shot); all those who sport an Al-related tattoo; all the extras from the White & Nerdy video; and--this group shot should be huge: all WOWAY forum members in attendance.

Volunteers will be needed. I can’t do this alone.

So, who’s with me?

P.S. Please don’t fill up this thread with unnecessary posts, like, for instance, requesting a location change. Thanks.

Vikki
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

like_im_27again @ October 10, 2008 02:02 pm wrote: 3. to come up with a name for this thing—We can’t use ALCON, and my suggestion would be ALfest. Now I’m putting it out to all of you—what would you call a Weird Al fan convention?
Yanko-Con International
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Doctor
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by The Doctor »

OOOOh, I would totally love to go to that! I look forward to more information as it develops.
Silence will fall.
M_Robertcop
Addicted

Post by M_Robertcop »

I will be there :)
You're gonna take a walk in the rain and you're gonna get wet... I predict.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

1. Yes! Absolutely! I will attend and volunteer. :D

2. Here are some ideas for other activities (some borrowed from ALCON): lip synch contest look-AL-like contest / costume contestAl art showcase - have people bring their drawings/paintings/sculptures/cookies and set up like a museum, and maybe have some art supplies there so people can participate right then and there. Or a giant blank white wall everyone can draw on or something.UHF screening / UHF screening rocky-horror-style3. Drawing a blank on a catchy name at the moment. :think:

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
The Doctor
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by The Doctor »

Elvis @ October 10, 2008 12:14 pm wrote: [*]lip synch contest
:D I would have so much fun with that!
Silence will fall.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Wow! I would love to come to this...

I don't know how that would even be possible though. Anyone got any idea about budget accommodations?
I'm not gonna say "impossible" just yet... Stranger things have happened..
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I will attend and volunteer. Could we persuade Dave to bring some of his Al collection for the mini-museum?

Were you thinking of doing this at a hotel?
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Video room with live Rifftrax-type commentary?
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Mashed Potato
Off The Deep End

Post by Mashed Potato »

Yankofest
SWIGGITY SWOOTY