Al Fest: Fan Convention August 1st in SoCal

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

uwvark
Off The Deep End

Re: Al Fest: Fan Convention August 1st in SoCal

Post by uwvark »

Amerah's grandma?

:peace:
I got 99 problems but BTD ain't one.
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

Haaaa I was gonna say...
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect
dj's mom
Occasional

Post by dj's mom »

Oh, that's cool. Amerah's Grandma, huh? Just kidding...

Seriously, It was a great, crazy time; at least when I tell people what I did that weekend they say, or look at me like, "that's crazy." :blink:
I met some wonderful people and I look forward to seeing them again from time to time. They are why I bothered getting on Facebook and it's been down hill ever since... ;)

Hope to see as many people from Al Fest at OC this year as possible.
Juliej
< I am NOT a newbie > I've just been gone a very, very, very long time.
BTW - DJ is now Senior Airman DJ <proud mom>
Tony Goldmark
Occasional

Post by Tony Goldmark »

Okay, the song is officially DONE. Just finished the final mix earlier tonight.

And I gotta tell ya, as a warning - I just might have crossed a line or two on this one. This may very well be the meanest, most vicious song I've ever written, and I've written songs about murdering boy bands in cold blood. This one might actually offend some of you (I say might because I seem to be a terrible judge of what offends people; I'm still bitter over my "smurf-smurf in a smurf" joke bombing at my cousin's birthday. Some five-year-olds just can't take a joke, y'know?) But no matter how low my blows get on this song, rest assured that I have blown no lower than the one who inspired it in the first place.

Speaking of which, you'll notice that nowhere in the lyrics did I mention the person by name, nor do I intend to spell it out anywhere, because I am VERY (probably needlessly) paranoid about libel and slander accusations. Besides, I don't need to tell you people. You were THERE. You know exactly who I'm talking about. Feel free to share theories, but as far as I'm officially concerned, theories are all they are.

This song was intended as a style parody of some of the earlier work of a musician I'm sure many of you are quite familiar with, though in the studio we experimented a bit with the instrumentation. I have to give TREMENDOUS props to the band backing me up, without whom this song would not exist, causing you all to instead download 4 minutes and 37 seconds of silence for some reason. On keyboards (ALL keyboards), Henry Salvia; on bass, Paul Olguin; on drums, Paul Revelli; on pedal steel guitar and producing, Joe Goldmark; on the other, smaller type of guitar, Hank Maninger; and recording, engineering and mixing it all, Garth Webber at Red Rooster Studios in lovely Berkeley, CA. I literally can't thank those guys enough for being so extremely bloody talented and brilliant and rocking and inexplicably indulgent of my desire to construct such a complex song around such an esoteric topic.

So please, sit back and enjoy the link I'm sure you've all already jumped to - an enraged, bitter slice of majestic little ditty that I like to call "SKJ".
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

:clap:

GREAT work, Tony! Granted this song has a pretty niche audience, but I guess I am one of those people because I thought it was fantastic. I love how you combined descriptions of her teabaggery with UHF gags (eg "mopping the floors") as well as Al Fest-specific stuff (I won't give anything away to those who haven't heard it, but definitely one or two "you had to be there" moments).
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
dj's mom
Occasional

Post by dj's mom »

Wow, tell us how you really feel, Tony! Great job.
Wish I could put my righteous indignation to music like you. It helped me relive the experience through a jaundiced eye. I hope you can perform it live at Al Fest II.
And... who the heck was that creepy, bearded man anyway?

third edit. jeez, get it together julie
< I am NOT a newbie > I've just been gone a very, very, very long time.
BTW - DJ is now Senior Airman DJ <proud mom>
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

Haha I love it.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

TMBJon wrote: There is also an Easter Egg on the DVD set somewhere, which even Vikki didn't know about until just now when she read this sentence.

I just got the DVD, did I find the Easter Egg on disc 2?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I forget which disc it's on but it involves the menus. :F
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Great song, Tony! I guess you didn't necessarily need to have attended Al-fest in order to decipher the subject of the song, but I guess like Jon said that some of them were "you had to be there" in jokes that only attendees would've gotten. Still, I have to say I see no controversy in those lyrics (well, the ones I could make out anyway) as I personally feel the subject of said song truly deserved it...
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...