Happiness is a new WAY CD!

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

If you are talking about Besta Polka,

Mike

I think it's called Frankie Yankovic and Friends. And I have actually held it in my hands. I can't imagine it's in danger of being bought by anyone but me. However I am NOT going to tell you where!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I have officially rounded the bend from a normal, rational human being to a completely weird fan...

I just bought the Frankie Yankovic CD. A polka cd... and I like it! "Who Stole The Kiska" is of course wonderful. Al's voice is clearly heard singing backup vocals. And of course there are two accordions playing. Anyone happen to know which is Al? (High or Low?) It's Yankovic squared. It's Yanko-rif-vic!

And there is one with Drew Carey. It's called "She's Too Fat For Me."

Is that the same Drew Carey from the Drew Carey Show, Whose Line Is It Anyway? and of course It's All About The Pentiums? <Scottidog wonders why DC didn't do "Cleveland, The Polka Town" , with his connection to Cleveland (OHIO!!) it seems a natural :shrug:>

Oh, and more success on the WAY Safari. I also got The Naked Gun boxed set. So later I am gonna play "Where's Weird Al" :)
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

I just bought the Frankie Yankovic CD. A polka cd... and I like it! "Who Stole The Kiska" is of course wonderful. Al's voice is clearly heard singing backup vocals. And of course there are two accordions playing. Anyone happen to know which is Al? (High or Low?) It's Yankovic squared. It's Yanko-rif-vic!
Hmm....I may need to double check a newspaper article I have about it, but I think Al only sang on that track. He recorded his part during some quick down time before a show (again if I'm not mistaken, it was before the Bad Hair Tour stop in Cleveland...again, I may need to consult my scrapbook).
And there is one with Drew Carey. It's called "She's Too Fat For Me." Is that the same Drew Carey from the Drew Carey Show, Whose Line Is It Anyway? and of course It's All About The Pentiums? <Scottidog wonders why DC didn't do "Cleveland, The Polka Town" , with his connection to Cleveland (OHIO!!) it seems a natural>

Yes, that is the exact same Drew.

Actually, the best Cleveland connection (and most likely the most obscure to anyone living outside of the 216 area code) was on a track on the second volume of "Songs of the Polka King," on which Frank sang with local late night movie hosts Big Chuck and Lil' John.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Hmm....I may need to double check a newspaper article I have about it, but I think Al only sang on that track. He recorded his part during some quick down time before a show (again if I'm not mistaken, it was before the Bad Hair Tour stop in Cleveland...again, I may need to consult my scrapbook).

Perhaps you're thinking of the song Al sang for the Salute To The Grammy's special? On that one he also teamed up with Frankie to do a medley of hits. I remember reading that Frankie's parts didn't sound all that good, so Al ended up re-recording Frankie's parts.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I may need to double check a newspaper article I have about it, but I think Al only sang on that track.

Well, that's just wrong... (not the facts) but the concept of Al showing up to do a polka song and just doing background vocals... That's.... that's not Yanko-rif-vic at all. Tell me it ain't so.

What would be the point? Two world class accordionists not doing a duo? I mean, even if Al didn't want to schlep one of his instruments to the studio, surely Frankie had an extra 27 accordions just laying around.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Okay, I found the article. It was mentioned in Jane Scott's review of the album in Cleveland's Plain Dealer on the day of the album's release.

Here is the excerpt, sics and all....

Weird Al Yankovic was another "friend." He zipped over to the JBH studio in the Agora complex on Euclid Ave. the morning of his July 27 show at the Nautica Stage. He recorded his voice on the jumping "Who Stole the Keeshka."

The two "Yanks" may not be related, but they sure blend well.

I have absolutely no reason to doubt her...especially after she was really cool about my brother almost knocking me right into her after an Al show.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Well CD, I would never question your WAY facts... but she doesn't say he didn't play the accordion. Maybe, like me, she just assumed everyone knew that he did?

The only other explanation is that Frankie already had the accordion tracks laid down, and Al didn't raise a fuss. Mary raised her boy right, he would just be polite.

Dang, I really want it to be a double header-Yankovic-grandslam accordion fest. Oh well.

:onfire:
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Well CD, I would never question your WAY facts... but she doesn't say he didn't play the accordion. Maybe, like me, she just assumed everyone knew that he did?
Yeah, that could very well be, but the way it was worded led me to believe that it was set up so that Al was able to sort of pop in, sing, and pop out. The word "zipped" didn't make it seem as if Al was planning to do a normal recording session, which would have taken who knows how long.

And I'm sure she would have noted the novelty of having both Yankovics play their squeezable axes on the song.
The only other explanation is that Frankie already had the accordion tracks laid down

Which I think was how the tracks were done, now that you mention it. The album's "booklet" is of little help, but if I was a betting man I would say that the music and lead vocals were recorded and mixed in Nashville, and then the various "guest stars" would come in on their own and do the back-up singing.

But, anything's possible I suppose.

You know, if I had ever forseen this topic to come up, I would have asked about it when I bumped into the album's producer a few years ago. :)
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

You know, if I had ever forseen this topic to come up, I would have asked about it when I bumped into the album's producer a few years ago.

I guess you didn't read Your Horoscope for that day...

So, then the next question that begs to be asked is: Did Al and Frankie ever record and accordion duo? Or is Kiska the only thing they did?
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

So, then the next question that begs to be asked is: Did Al and Frankie ever record and accordion duo? Or is Kiska the only thing they did?

Actually, Elvis already talked about their other collaboration a few posts back....although if Al re-recorded Frankie's part, then I don't know if that would really count. :)