Original Artists' Response

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

American Pie
Die-hard Fan

Post by American Pie »

algonacchick @ Oct 8 2006, 02:43 PM wrote: I never edited my original post, so I don't know what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure I did not say Don McLean sang TSB in concert. Hmm...

Thanks for the spelling correction.
Sorry, I should have been more specific, I meant TMBJon's original post.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon .
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Ok. You quoted me, though, which was the confusing part.

It's all good now.

:D
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

TMBJon @ Oct 8 2006, 06:42 PM wrote: I remember that was the general idea but since I know for sure there is a direct quote on Behind The Music, I'll wait until someone who has access to the episode can get the direct quote. I left my VHS copy at my parents' house. And while you're watching for that, I know there's also a quote from Mark Mothersbaugh, the lead singer of Devo. I don't remember if there are any others in that special, but it's possible.
The Flea quote was direct from the Behind The Music. As far as Mark Mothersbaugh, I forget the exact quote, but it was along the lines that he appreciated the "Dare To Be Stupid" style parody, but was 'upset that Al got a better bassline than us.' I know he was happy with it but jealous that it sounded better than what they did.
That's what you get when you let your heart win.
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

but was 'upset that Al got a better bassline than us.'

I don't think it was the bassline. I'm pretty sure it was the synth sound. I should check BTM.
"Mr. Kim, we're Starfleet officers. Weird is just part of the job." -Captain Janeway
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

stupidsurgeon27 @ Oct 9 2006, 12:29 AM wrote:
I don't think it was the bassline. I'm pretty sure it was the synth sound. I should check BTM.
Wasn't sure which. I remember it was an instrument sound that he was mad about. Probably was the synth.
That's what you get when you let your heart win.
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Okay, after magically fastforward to the exact right moment on my tape (that doesn't happen often) I got it.

Al: I played the tape for him. He seemed to really enjoy it. "That's a really cool synth sound. I wish we could get that."
Mark: I was in shock. It was the most beautiful thing I ever heard.
Al: He seemed to really enjoy it, but he could've been lying. I don't know.
Mark: He sort of resculpted that song into something else. I hate him for it basically.

There. That's essentially it for a minor misplace word here or there.
"Mr. Kim, we're Starfleet officers. Weird is just part of the job." -Captain Janeway
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Awesome, thanks! Hey while you have the tape out, could you get the direct quote from Flea for me? Thanks!!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Flea: I didn't think it was very good. I enjoy Weird Al's things, but I found it unimagitive. It wasn't that great. Yabba Dabba Doo. I like Weird Al and everything. But you know everyone is hit or miss, except for me, of course.

Ta-da!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Thanks!
Alright, so does anyone know of any other artists that are missing from this list? I know there was some comment from They Might Be Giants about EYKIW which wasn't so positive. Something about them not wanting to be known for only playing that type of music. And didn't Al speak to Fred Durst directly for AWBP? Anything else?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

I remember on Driven one of the writers of "I Love Rock n Roll" actually said "He showed me the lyrics. I thought they were funny."
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;