Original Artists' Response

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Original Artists' Response

Post by Kevbo1987 »

That is definitely a classy response from Jason Mraz, and I respect him for being so gracious. I'm sure there were plenty in his fan base who used this as an excuse to rag on Al.
Wolfman
Occasional

Post by Wolfman »

That's interesting that he compared Al to the Muppets. Both are sources of family-friendly comedy that has endured for over three decades. Both have had periods where they have disappeared from the public consciousness only to reemerge even more popular than before. And let's admit it, both have a bit of corniness that is part of what makes them loveable.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Hadn't heard of this Mraz bloke until this week, but seems like a class guy.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Also this tweet:
Ben McKee ‏@benamckee · Jul 22
Everybody go buy @alyankovic 's new album #MandatoryFun rightnow. He did an AWESOME parody of Radioactive called "Inactive". Dream come true
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

Wolfman wrote:That's interesting that he compared Al to the Muppets. Both are sources of family-friendly comedy that has endured for over three decades. Both have had periods where they have disappeared from the public consciousness only to reemerge even more popular than before. And let's admit it, both have a bit of corniness that is part of what makes them loveable.
And they both have very subtle subversive undertones in their work.
RoccoPapa

Post by RoccoPapa »

Does anybody know if any of the Red Hot Chili Peppers (aside from Flea) said anything about the parody or Al in general?
My Instagram:
http://instagram.com/theroccomichael" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TheRoccoMichael" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DrDecay
Addicted

Post by DrDecay »

RoccoPapa wrote:Does anybody know if any of the Red Hot Chili Peppers (aside from Flea) said anything about the parody or Al in general?
That's a tough one. I have only heard what flea said as well. I'm pretty sure they were at least ok with it if the song happened.

I saw an interview with Al on Access Hollywood and I am kind of glad Michael Jackson wasn't on board with Snack All Night. It was good that he had his best interest at heart.

I am glad grunge happened when it did and how positive Nirvana was about Al parodying Smells like Teen spirit. He really did bring Al into the new decade and because of this I became a fan and my generation of Al fans was born.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

There is the pic up on the Mothership of Bermuda and Chad Smith that says in the caption that Chad liked Bedrock Anthem, I don't know if that qualifies as a comment

I always thought what Flea said in Behind the Music was a bit overblown, really. Even if he doesn't like it, my opinion has always been he was just being a bit of a wiseass playing around and being too cool for the room (Plus, it's kind oi hard to disagree with the fact that Al could've done better :P )
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
RoccoPapa

Post by RoccoPapa »

Teh Dingo wrote:There is the pic up on the Mothership of Bermuda and Chad Smith that says in the caption that Chad liked Bedrock Anthem, I don't know if that qualifies as a comment
WOW! Cool!! :whoot:

Thanks.

I'd love to hear what John thought of it...
My Instagram:
http://instagram.com/theroccomichael" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TheRoccoMichael" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Lorde:

"Weird Al" is so cool! I’m so psyched to be on it. He asked ages ago if he could do it and I was like “PLEASE! Please, can you do something with “Royals.” I was listening to "Weird Al" parodies when I was like 10 — especially that one that he did of "Confessions" by Usher. How could I have been listening to that while I was young and … that’s me now.
:Y
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?