Original Artists' Response

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I edited a few more into my above posts that you might have missed.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
weirdalfan95
Obsessed

Post by weirdalfan95 »

OE, to correct you, from the Permanent Record booklet, the idea got to Al through Jay... How'd it get to Jay, you ask? Madonna's friend knew Jay, and then Jay passed it to Al.
Al- Team #2294
August 19, 2007 Waukegan IL Genessee Theater
Insane Ian
Occasional

Post by Insane Ian »

you can also add that last september, during a PUSA (that's Presidents of the United States of America to the layman) concert, Al came on stage and perfromed GUMP with the band. And yes, after Al's version was recorded (but before it was released!) they began singing "And that's all I have to say about that" during live perfromances of LUMP...

...and it was on MY Al tribute album that "Are you Going to the Weird Al Concert" appears...tho that's necessarily needed as fact, heh ^_^ ...tho i should say that it's the SECOND recording of it. There was one he did years ago (pre-PUSA) and he re-recorded it especially for the tribute album...
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

You might want to add that Don McLean was having a hard time singing American Pie in concert, because he had Al's lyrics running through his head.

Psst, add the Queen quote that anth posted and "Another One Rides the Bus" to your list.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

weirdalfan95 @ Oct 8 2006, 05:29 AM wrote: OE, to correct you, from the Permanent Record booklet, the idea got to Al through Jay... How'd it get to Jay, you ask? Madonna's friend knew Jay, and then Jay passed it to Al.
Thank you. I did say I thought there was another person in between Madonna's friend and Al, but I'd forgotten it was Jay.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Mark Knopfler had to play guitar on Beverly Hillbillies/Money for Nothing.
"Mr. Kim, we're Starfleet officers. Weird is just part of the job." -Captain Janeway
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I liked what Al said about that. He said that Mark said, "Yeah, you can do the parody, but I have to play guitar on it". Al said "Ok, if you have to!"

Jay had mentioned on the UHF commentary that Mark was doing research on Al, and was reading a copy of "The Authorized Al" and laughing hysterically. You don't have to add that, but I thought it was funny.

So awesome!

Al Team #325
American Pie
Die-hard Fan

Post by American Pie »

I know Don McLean liked TSB song and said that while singing AP he had trouble remembering the lyrics because TSB was stuck in his head, but I've never heard of him performing it in concert.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon .
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Um, so where else would he be singing it, then? I'm pretty sure he said this was during a concert.

So awesome!

Al Team #325
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

algonacchick @ Oct 8 2006, 10:49 AM wrote: Um, so where else would he be singing it, then? I'm pretty sure he said this was during a concert.
Patti's right, she's right, she's right!

So, I guess I was triply backing up her statement...:lookaround:

~*Cat*~
Straight Outta Lynwood:

Not a speck of gristle.