Bands/artists You Might Like If You Like Weird Al

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Re: Bands/artists You Might Like If You Like Weird Al

Post by HappyGilmore »

Big Spoon wrote:I know very few Ween songs, but really enjoy what I've heard of theirs.
I think their 'biggest' claim to fame, that I recall, is having their song "Push The 'Lil Daisies" featured on Beavis and Butt-head, and they claimed that they sucked, etc. Also featured on the South Park soundtrack, but their albums are quite good.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Yeah, their song on the South Park Chef Aid soundtrack, The Rainbow, isn't their best (from the few songs I've heard). I remember from when I was younger that they had a song featured on Spongebob.
And Peggy
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Big Spoon wrote:Yeah, their song on the South Park Chef Aid soundtrack, The Rainbow, isn't their best (from the few songs I've heard). I remember from when I was younger that they had a song featured on Spongebob.
It's an okay song, but not the best example of their work.

I like it.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Yeah, The Mollusk and Country Greats are my favorites. And I love crazy insane music... Mutilated Lips, The Golden Eel... amazing stuff.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

I can think of two other groups: Bad Ronald and Loose Cannons.

Bad Ronald only had one album. They were around in 2001, and were being touted as sort of a "New" Beastie Boys style rap/rock, but a lot of their songs featured humor. MTV showed signs of initial reports, but some parents didn't like their video, so MTV was relegated to playing it between 11PM and 6AM, and their album was released on 9/11, so it kinda didn't sell well. :F

Loose Cannons is a hip hop group. Not a hardcore group, but a poppy type of group and all their songs are humorous. It's two guys, Doug Ray (Toothpick), who was in Bad Ronald and did the song "Super Size Me" for the film of the same name, and Rich Cronin, of boy band LFO. They got somewhat of a big following here in Philly after forming a friendship with radio DJ Kidd Chris of Howard Stern fame. The fact that two former boy banders could sell out a venue solely doing comedy hip hop with a bunch of 20-30 year olds, well. Kinda odd to see. They got songs ranging from loving fat girls, about breaking up and being upset that she still has your cd's, to being in love with a girl only to be upset when she gets a boob job. And they only sample one act: Frankie Valli, which is an odd choice for a hip hop group. Available on CD Baby.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

HappyGilmore wrote:their album was released on 9/11, so it kinda didn't sell well. :F
So was Jay-Z's "The Blueprint" as well as Ben Folds "Rockin The Suburbs." Didn't seem to affect their sales...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

So was TMBG's "Mink Car."

But that didn't sell well because it just sucked.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

weirdojace wrote:So was TMBG's "Mink Car."

But that didn't sell well because it just sucked.
I didn't include it on the list for a reason, haha.

I actually remember the evening of 9/11, my dad came home and was very somber like "Hey Jon... How are you holding up?" and I was like "Did you get the TMBG and Ben Folds albums like I asked??" and he said "Jon, on a day like today, I just figured I would come right home..." I was pretty mad about that...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

TMBJon wrote:
HappyGilmore wrote:their album was released on 9/11, so it kinda didn't sell well. :F
So was Jay-Z's "The Blueprint" as well as Ben Folds "Rockin The Suburbs." Didn't seem to affect their sales...
True.

That wasn't my personal excuse for their non-sales. It was their record label's.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Dunno if anyone brought them up before, but Steel Panther is quite good.