Bands/artists You Might Like If You Like Weird Al

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Re: Bands/artists You Might Like If You Like Weird Al

Post by HappyGilmore »

Bloodhound Gang
Hard 'n Phirm
Nuclear Bubble Wrap
Tenacious D
Evan Wecksell
Stephen Lynch
Frank Zappa
Da Yoopers
Corky and The Juice Pigs
Ween
Trout Fishing in America (more kid-friendly, but some funny stuff)
Green Jelly
They Might Be Giants
DVDA (Trey Parker/Matt Stone of South Park fame)
The Lonely Island
John Valby (more mature audiences though)
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

i don't remember how but a while ago i came across the john valby christmas song "it's beginning to look a lot like syphilis." crazy.
taste is only something if it is yours.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Well, Well, Well wrote:i don't remember how but a while ago i came across the john valby christmas song "it's beginning to look a lot like syphilis." crazy.
Yeah. Does a lot of sexual related songs/parodies. I was fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to have a family of cousins and uncles and grandfather, who would use his albums at soundtracks to various functions, like bar-b-que's, birthdays, etc. Try explaining that to your teacher when you're 7 and singing the songs in second grade. :oo

But, same relatives also listened to Spike Jones, Tom Lehrer, and Weird Al, so eh, it wasn't all bad.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

HappyGilmore wrote: Ween
HELL YES!

Freakin love that band.

They're pretty much an edgier They Might Be Giants. Capable of doing songs in any genre, and are very funny. Their album The Mollusk is one of my favorite albums ever.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Yeah, I'm vaguely familiar with most of the bands/artists that HappyGilmore mentioned and they've all done some pretty good stuff, but I just can't get into "Da Yoopers" for some reason. I've heard a few of their songs on Dr. Demento at one point and they really just get on my nerves. Also, the mention of John Valby somwwhat reminded me of comedy rapper "Nucka Nucka Ali". I just stumbled upon a few of his songs on YouTube. He's an artist you would probably HATE if you like Weird Al. I'll admit some of his stuff is catchy, but I just couldn't get into him, either. Unlike our boy Al, almost all of his songs are parodies done for mostly shock value it seems (except for about three "original" raps that I haven't heard, but I will assume are atrocious) and they're all either racially charged or heavily xenophobic in nature under the guise of "sociopolitical importance." He's almost like Al or Eminem had a baby with Carlos Mencia that was dropped on it's head at one point. There was some controversy over YouTube taking down all his channels since apparently, they viewed all his songs as "hate speech" leaving his alleged "fans" to re-upload his videos. Personally, I get that he's not really a racist and that it's supposedly "all in good fun", but still...he's...just not that good...sorry...If you haven't heard of him and might be a bit morbidly curious to check out some of his work, don't say I didn't warn you...he does make a passing reference to Al toward the end of his "Run This Town" parody making fun of Kanye West (among others)
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

weirdojace wrote:
HappyGilmore wrote: Ween
HELL YES!

Freakin love that band.

They're pretty much an edgier They Might Be Giants. Capable of doing songs in any genre, and are very funny. Their album The Mollusk is one of my favorite albums ever.
I'm surprised you know them and like them. Most everyone I talk to has one of two responses: A.) They suck and are a horrible band, or B.) Who the hell are they?.

Vastly underrated if you ask me. My personal favorite is "12 Golden Country Greats."
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

piss up a rope!
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Killingsworth wrote:Yeah, I'm vaguely familiar with most of the bands/artists that HappyGilmore mentioned and they've all done some pretty good stuff, but I just can't get into "Da Yoopers" for some reason. I've heard a few of their songs on Dr. Demento at one point and they really just get on my nerves. Also, the mention of John Valby somwwhat reminded me of comedy rapper "Nucka Nucka Ali". I just stumbled upon a few of his songs on YouTube. He's an artist you would probably HATE if you like Weird Al. I'll admit some of his stuff is catchy, but I just couldn't get into him, either. Unlike our boy Al, almost all of his songs are parodies done for mostly shock value it seems (except for about three "original" raps that I haven't heard, but I will assume are atrocious) and they're all either racially charged or heavily xenophobic in nature under the guise of "sociopolitical importance." He's almost like Al or Eminem had a baby with Carlos Mencia that was dropped on it's head at one point. There was some controversy over YouTube taking down all his channels since apparently, they viewed all his songs as "hate speech" leaving his alleged "fans" to re-upload his videos. Personally, I get that he's not really a racist and that it's supposedly "all in good fun", but still...he's...just not that good...sorry...If you haven't heard of him and might be a bit morbidly curious to check out some of his work, don't say I didn't warn you...he does make a passing reference to Al toward the end of his "Run This Town" parody making fun of Kanye West (among others)
Never heard of Nucka Nucka Ali, but I'll check it out. Dunno if I'd like him or not though. If there's a comparison to Carlos Mencia then I might not.
Well, Well, Well wrote:piss up a rope!
Great song. :great:
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I know very few Ween songs, but really enjoy what I've heard of theirs.
And Peggy
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

also if anyone has the extended version of "powder blue" with the muhammad ali bit i'd love to get an mp3.