Bands/artists You Might Like If You Like Weird Al

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Banana
Occasional

Post by Banana »

Post what the title says here. WHiZZi gave me premission to post this topic.

The Flaming Lips - They have albums with titles like Oh My Gawd!!, Zaireeka, Clouds Taste Metallic, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Hit to Death in the Future Head, etc. So yeah, they are pretty weird. http://www.flaminglips.com/main.php

They Might Be Giants - Weird Al loves this band. "Everything You Know is Wrong" is a style parody of their kind of music. They are not a novelty band, but they are pretty funny and have humorous songs. http://www.tmbg.com

Apologetix - A christian parody band? Yes. Weird Al inked to them on his site, and John "Bermuda" Schwartz played drums on Biblical Grafitti. They are pretty good. http://www.apologetix.com/
TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles
Off The Deep End

Post by TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles »

Bermuda linked to Apologetix, it's his website.

Here's one:
The Great Luke Ski- He does parodies. Great parodies.
The Office: NBC, Thursdays at 9.
If you're not watching, you're doing yourself great injustice.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

I hate Luke Ski.

The Arrogant Worms - a Canadian folk comedy group. Their songs are hilarious. A few great songs they've done are Rocks and Trees, Canada's Really Big, I Am Cow, The Fishing Song, Wolfe Island Ferry, Dangerous, Song Inside My Head, and Log In To You. You can purchase their CDs through Maple Music, a Canadian retail site. It takes 2 weeks to import, but their CDs are worth the wait.

Tony Goldmark - another comedy musician. Although he prefers to do original songs, he has a few parodies. My favorite songs by him include The Sorcerer's Stone, Sirius Black, Teeth Clenched, Trapped in Iowa, Tech Support, Positive Upbeat Song, Fool Yourself, The Day Alfred Went Weird, Disney World, Rhetorical Questions, Leopard Skin, Penguin on the Telly, and Gotta Lose Weight. Both of his CDs are available through Amazon.com, as well as a comedy album he did when he was 13 years old (that he says he regrets ever making).
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fred27
Obsessed

Post by fred27 »

hmm you dont like luke, but you like tony, thats weird
fred

total shows to date, 161
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Luke does a lot of rap songs. Maybe jace doesn't like rap.

Hey, no one has mentioned Throwing Toasters. They do funny songs, and they're geat live. *Well, Grant is great live* hehe! I've only seen him once, but he was good.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
weirdojace
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdojace »

I hate Luke for two reasons:

1. All his songs are based on TV shows or movies that I have never seen (Star Trek?? Come on!) Therefore, I don't get ANY of his songs. His only good song is "Fruit Loops." Why? Because it's not based on some obscure TV show or movie! It's NORMAL!

2. I tried to show him my songs once. He told me to :censored: off and then he blocked me.

However, Tony sings about NORMAL stuff. His songs aren't based on TV shows and movies I've never heard of. His songs are regular comedy songs. Teeth Clenched, Trapped in Iowa, Tech Support, Disney World, Rhetorical Questions. NORMAL comedy music.

But Luke can't make normal comedy music, because he has to base every single one of his songs on Star Trek. Or Back to the Future. Or MST3K. Or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Or some other thing I've never seen before. He doesn't have the capability of making songs that a listener like me would understand.

Besides, he's just plain rude. I'm never gonna talk to him on AIM ever again even if he didn't block me.
fred27 wrote: hmm you dont like luke, but you like tony, thats weird

Like I just said, There are no similarities between Luke and Tony. Luke's songs are about things I've ever heard of and there is not ONE song of his that I actually understand. Except Fruit Loops.

Tony does regular, normal, understandable comedy music.

There is a huge difference between Luke and Tony, besides the fact that Luke prefers parodies and Tony prefers originals.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drnick954
Off The Deep End

Post by drnick954 »

Well, if you liked DTBS, you might want to check out Devo...
The Smashing Pumpkins are reuniting! WHOOOOHOOO!!!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Star Trek, Back to the Future, and Buffy are hardly obscure, jace. You can't fault him for writing about tv shows or movies just because you haven't seen them. I understand about him being rude to you. That would make me upset, too.

But not liking him because of the subject matter of his songs makes no sense. Al writes songs about tv and movies, and you like him. Anyway, thanks for explaining why you don't like Luke Ski. I think.

:P
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
weirdojace
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdojace »

Al has only a few songs specifically about TV shows or movies. He does a lot of regular comedy songs. You should know that...

Okay, Star Trek and that junk isn't obscure, but it's stuff I've never seen and stuff I don't ever plan to see. To me, just singing about a TV show or a movie isn't comedy music.

I have no problem with a song about a TV show or movie being done every once in a while, cause that's just one song. But look at Luke's CDs and try to find one song that isn't about a TV show or a movie. Besides Fruit Loops.

And yes, Tony has a few songs about Harry Potter, but well...I'm obsessed with Harry Potter anyway so that doesn't matter.
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

Banana @ Jul 6 2004, 08:41 AM wrote: Apologetix - A christian parody band? Yes. Weird Al inked to them on his site, and John "Bermuda" Schwartz played drums on Biblical Grafitti. They are pretty good. http://www.apologetix.com/
I like them, but Bobbi doesn't........ :F
In hiding since 2010