Prince's Death

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Re: Prince's Death

Post by Yankomaniac »

Kurt loved that smurf though. :Y
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

I loved Prince, great musician. Odd guy. But I guess all great artists are, really.

Find the Kevin Smith/Prince story. Funniest thing I've watched.
Heds
Obsessed

Post by Heds »

mrmeadows wrote:Just got my tickets for Al's Hollywood Bowl concert in July. Occurred to me: if he performs "Word Crimes", what's he going to do with that lyric about Prince writing like a 7-year old? Probably falls in the "too soon" category. Might we get an alternate version of the song? (I hope he doesn't scrap it altogether.)
I don't think Al would scrap "Word Crimes". It's basically too much of a mainstream song for the album, considering it was one of the first (or maybe the first, I don't have a clue) MVs released for the #8Days8Videos campaign. I'd imagine if he feels it would cause a bit too much offence he would change it, but then again he never changed SLN after Kurt's death (but basically that was his dream song, and as always Prince had no involvement in WC, so yep.)

:?
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Tacky was the first video released and Word Crimes was the second.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

That's why Heds said it was one of the first.
And Peggy
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Bearing in mind that Al's lyrics are not necessarily autobiographical, I always took the Prince line in "Word Crimes" as a sort of compliment to him--Prince has earned the right to bypass the "you should never write words using numbers" rule. I bet that line will actually get a positive response from the audience.

Now, if Al had done a style parody all about how Prince was a humorless jerk who kept denying Al permission, yeah, that might fall into the "too soon" category. But the "Word Crimes" line borders on flattering if you ask me.
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

Wow.... seeing people write off a deceased person because they didn't like Weird Al's humor is just.... disgusting.

What is wrong with you people??
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

TheLazenby wrote:Wow.... seeing people write off a deceased person because they didn't like Weird Al's humor is just.... disgusting.

What is wrong with you people??
How much of this thread did you actually READ before posting this?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
AllenDudley1991

Post by AllenDudley1991 »

The Al fan in me got a bit of a unnecessary chuckle from Prince's passing, but it still hurts that we lost (yet another) music legend too soon.
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

anthontherun wrote:I always took the Prince line in "Word Crimes" as a sort of compliment to him--Prince has earned the right to bypass the "you should never write words using numbers" rule. I bet that line will actually get a positive response from the audience.
Yeah, this is always how I interpreted it. It's poking fun at Prince, but it's doing so in a way that's actually flattering. I hope Al doesn't change that line in the song because it's in clever and not disrespectful.