Prince's Death

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

mrmeadows
Obsessed

Re: Prince's Death

Post by mrmeadows »

I generally don't get too emotionally crushed when a celebrity--even one I like--passes away. I mean, I didn't really know them, so I can't get that overly depressed about it. Many times it's sad in a kind of general way, as death usually is, but usually it's just an "Oh...he/she died? That's too bad," and then I continue doing whatever I was doing. I guess there's always a bit of a shock factor when they die as young as Prince did. I mean, I certainly wasn't expecting it. Still, I got over the shock and moved on to acceptance pretty quickly. What am I gonna do about it?

But yeah, I did think of Al right away, and went to see if he tweeted about it (he had), and then stopped in here to see what fans were saying. Hey, I'm not GLAD he's dead, but it just isn't something that affects my life directly, so I just don't get too worked up over it.

Now when I die. . .THAT will suck!
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

Well, Well, Well wrote:To me this only raises the question, should (or will) Al record a parody of Prince now that he can no longer say no.
Perhaps this is an inappropriate way to express it, but I think Prince's death pretty much put the final nail in the coffin of Al ever doing a Prince parody. I agree with Minnick that Al will most likely continue to respect Prince's wishes, and--as crazy as this may sound--it would not shock me if Prince left instructions in his will to not allow any parodies of his songs.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I've been sitting on this for a while, but now is as good time as any to post it. I have an audio clip of Prince taking about Weird Al and "Fat". It's off of one of his LoveSexy Tour rehearsal bootlegs from around 1988. He starts out by saying he didn't like "Eat It" but then goes on the say he really likes "Fat" and makes some references to the song and video. You can tell he really enjoyed it and was laughing. It's interesting because it shows he knows Al's work (or at least the hits) and has a sense of humor, so it was always a mystery to me why he never said yes to Al.

http://weirdal.0catch.com/sounds/Prince ... eirdAl.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Elvis wrote:I've been sitting on this for a while, but now is as good time as any to post it. I have an audio clip of Prince taking about Weird Al and "Fat". It's off of one of his LoveSexy Tour rehearsal bootlegs from around 1988. He starts out by saying he didn't like "Eat It" but then goes on the say he really likes "Fat" and makes some references to the song and video. You can tell he really enjoyed it and was laughing. It's interesting because it shows he knows Al's work (or at least the hits) and has a sense of humor, so it was always a mystery to me why he never said yes to Al.

http://weirdal.0catch.com/sounds/Prince ... eirdAl.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow. That's the most awesome thing ever. Thanks for sharing that!

Very strange that he clearly wasn't all that uptight but still refused to let Al spoof him. Still, unless he gave Al his blessing in his will (which would be kinda funny, actually), I don't think Al will ever do a Prince parody. :-(
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

I never get all upset over celebrity deaths either, usually. I do once in a blue moon when I have really followed their work for a long time. I would be upset at Al's death, tho :(
Is my dude a dweeb?
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Wizzerkat wrote:I never get all upset over celebrity deaths either, usually. I do once in a blue moon when I have really followed their work for a long time. I would be upset at Al's death, tho :(
Yeah, that would definitely be an exception for me. But let's not talk about that.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Big Spoon wrote:
Well, Well, Well wrote:There's been a lot of talk about Prince saying no, but was there ever any info on what the subjects of Al's potential Prince parodies were?
The only one I can think of at the moment is a parody of "When Doves Cry" called "When Spuds Fry." I'm guessing there were a few more, too.
I'd also heard he wanted to do one of "1999" called "$19.99". (I would guess it would be a "Mr. Popeil"-like song about late-night TV commercial come-ons.) Still, I don't know if that's totally true or just apocryphal.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

And in the commentary for UHF, Al said that he originally wanted Money for Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies to be a parody of Purple Rain (and he even sang a sample lyric from the song in the commentary).
memphiselle1

Post by memphiselle1 »

Not really surprised at Prince's death. I knew this was coming when that emergency landing happened.

I can't really say I'm upset because, well, I'm not. Prince was a stuck up jerk anyway. Not allowed to make eye contact? Really?
"Not too stupid… just stupid enough."
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Huge fan. Talented dude.